New to S-197's and need some input...

NukeGuard

Established Member
I got my wife an '05 GT 5 speed for Christmas and now the modding list has already started. Most of the stuff going on it will be cosmetic, but there has to be a little bite to go with the bark. Talk to me about shifters. I've been looking at the Hurst. Are shifters hard to install in these cars? What about gears? I was thinking a 3.73 would fit the bill. I thought the wheel hop was bad in my Cobra, but geez! You could shake up a can of paint with her car. I was thinking shocks would help, what do you guys recommend? Like I said, the car will be mostly modded with cosmetics, but any input on a few bolt on's would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :beer:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I got my wife an '05 GT 5 speed for Christmas and now the modding list has already started. Most of the stuff going on it will be cosmetic, but there has to be a little bite to go with the bark. Talk to me about shifters. I've been looking at the Hurst. Are shifters hard to install in these cars? What about gears? I was thinking a 3.73 would fit the bill. I thought the wheel hop was bad in my Cobra, but geez! You could shake up a can of paint with her car. I was thinking shocks would help, what do you guys recommend? Like I said, the car will be mostly modded with cosmetics, but any input on a few bolt on's would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :beer:
As far as the shifter goes the Hurst is a glorified stock shifter with a chrome handle and a white ball.
If you're looking for a great short throw shifter the best is the MGW but it's very pricey.
You can get great performance by just installing the Saleen short throw adapter along with a set of urethane shifter bushings from Steeda.
The original price on the short throw adapter was $29.99 but there have been several increases since.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saleen-Short-Throw-Shifter-Adapter-2005-2006-07-Mustang_W0QQitemZ110206193295QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33733QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_urethane_shifter_bushing.php

As far as gears go the 05 Manual cars came stock with 3.55's so nobody went 3.73 at the time. We all jumped to 4.10's and didn't regret it one bit.
I would only purchase FRPP gears and have them done by a reputable shop.
When doing gears you will also need a tuner such as a Diablosport Predator or an SCT X-Cal II or III to recalibrate the spedometer.
If you get a programmer then the next logical step is to get a CAI.
The 3 best are the Steeda, C&L, and the Demolet Tunable Induction.
All 3 show very similar gains.

Shocks won't cure the wheelhop or even mask it.
The cause of the wheelhop is the hydra bushing in the UCA (Upper Control Arm) or third link.
Some people will tell you that it's the LCA (Lower Control Arm) bushings but they are masking the true cause which is the UCA bushings.
I ran the car with the stock LCA's and Steeda UCA for 6 months without any wheelhop.
Get an adjustable one if you will be going with lowering springs so that the pinion angle can be adjusted.
I have the Steeda unit in mine but CHE makes a good one at a reasonable price.

If you want to replace the shocks later get the Tokico D-Spec adjustables which are worth the money.

NukeGuard

Established Member
Good info!

I love the MGW in the Cobra, I didn't know they made one for the new Gt's. I'll definitely go that route.

What are your thoughts on the JLT CAI? That's what I put on mine and have no complaints.

I thought about 4.10's, but since it's her car I didn't know if they would be too extreme for her.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
Well if you want to save some money I could sell you My C&L cold air intake. i no longer needed it because I went and had my motor built and threw on a whipple. Which reminds me since i wnet with a cobra crank i had to upgrade to eight bolt flywheel so i do have a six bolt aluminum Fidanza flywheel to that I no longer need.
But anyway I went with the ford racing lowering kit along with adj. panhard bar LCAs and few other things from BMR susspension and have never looked back.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
I went with the tuner/JLT CAI from brenspeed. it woke up my car BIG TIME. ive got an auto, and im going with 3.73's only because its my daily driver, and i do a lot of highway driving, but i had 4.10's in my 02 and loved it.

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
SCT for any tuning!

Stay away from the "pop" stuff though for mods (Ford Racing packages, Saleen, Roush, ect..) you will just be paying for the name. Make sure you do your research before buying anything though. A lot of the stuff for the newer ones is a waste.

+11111111111111 on the MGW shifter. I had the Hurtz for a whole week I think before I junked it.

If you would like. I have a set of 18'9 polished alum mach1 wheels. I want 400 plus shipping. PM if interested.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Good info!

I love the MGW in the Cobra, I didn't know they made one for the new Gt's. I'll definitely go that route.

What are your thoughts on the JLT CAI? That's what I put on mine and have no complaints.

I thought about 4.10's, but since it's her car I didn't know if they would be too extreme for her.

The JLT is very similar to the Demolet tunable Induction:thumbsup:

NukeGuard

Established Member
My wife will be shelling out the coin for parts, I just got her the car, lol. I'll talk to her/show her what you guys have for sale and see if she's interested.

There are no SCT tuners around, so I'll be going with Diablo. I have an SCT for my Cobra now, but it's kind of useless since I'm stuck with (at best) internet/e-mailed tunes. There is a shop however that is close that utilizes Diablo, so that's what I'll end up with. Hopefully he'll give me a deal for her car like he did mine...$420 for a flip chip, dyno time and tuning. I'll keep the SCT to read trouble codes I guess.

How hard is it to install shifters on these cars? I know it's not as easy as my top loader, but surely it isn't that bad.

I think for her, she'll be more than happy with just a CAI, tune and some gears. She really just wants to do body mods to give it a retro Mach 1 look, but if I have anything to do with it, it has to have some bigger nuts.

R-COBRA-R

Established Member
I see that TRZ Motorsports in Florida has a kit for the rear of the S-197
UCA and LCA, bolt on Anti-Roll BAr with Adjustable panhard bar
There was an article in 5.0 magazine a couple of months back. Eliminates wheel hop improves 60' times

Ted

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Go to BMR's website. They have everything that you need. BMR mfg's most of the parts for everyone elses suspension upgrades. They have a video posted of their rear end kit with 60ft times.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Good choice on the tuner brand. I put the C&L street intake and C&L/Predator tune, put down 286rwhp, and 284tq. Not bad considering the S197's only put down around 260ish stock.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
For exhaust i'd go with the FRPP/Borla GTA's, they are cheap and sound good with no drone. I've heard things about shifters for our cars making alot of noise, i still have my stock shifter in use but i've heard that the MGW is a very quiet shifter, some say even quieter than stock, if thats possible. Lethal Performance sells a JLT CAI + SCT tuner package. On gears, personally i'd go with 3.73 but thats just me.

MattP 343

Established Member
Back to gears - 3.73s wouldn't be a bad choice but they would be hardly noticable from the 3.55s.

A lot of people say stick with FRPP gears since they are stronger, but I really wanted 3.90s and pulled the trigger on a set of Motives- which everyone said would whine. However, I got them installed at my local race shop and have loved them ever since. No whine present.

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
diablo isn't bad. I had it on my 01 cobra and was happy. Just make sure whomever tunes it knows the programs well on these cars and DOESN'T lock you tune incase you want to switch. A lot of guys who tune with chips lock it so you have to go to them.

I have 3:73's and love them. Go for all driving.

Exhaust- spend the money and get basanni. I love the sound and its such good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread