New to me Raptor and need help w/ performance

02_Lightning

Established Member
So I picked up a 2012 Raptor used with 25k miles. I came from a 6.2 Harley F150 and noticed a huge difference in power between the two. The Raptor feels like a slug compared to the Harley and both were bone stock. My questions for performance adders are as follows:
1) I know I need a tune but not sure if that will help throttle response. The truck just feels like a lead weight when trying to accelerate from a stop. The Harley 6.2 I had was not like that at all.
2) Exhaust - I am disappointed with the factory sound. I searched for a resonator delete pipe and tried the standard F150 screw delete pipe... That didn't work at all. Where to get a muffler delete pipe? I do think I want an aftermarket exhaust, and want the Stainless Works. However, they only make systems that incorporate the factory resonator. I don't want that silly resonator! How do I get around all this without cutting/welding?
3) I have seen/heard that the CAI was not worth anything... So, I put a green filter in the factory box.
4) throttle body - are there nice driving imptovents from swapping to something like the BBK TB? I know it's not a horsepower thing, but rather changes the acceleration behavior. Coming from a 2010 CTS-V, the TB change was one if the best changes I made as the car felt so much lighter and nimble. Just curious if that happens with the 6.2 as well.

Those are the only performance mods I want to make, but need help. I can't find much in the way of anyone modifying engine stuff on raptors... Mine needs help with sound, drivability, and throttle response/acceleration.

Please help!

02_Lightning

Established Member
I was not sure if this was a low traffic forum, or if people just don't modify Raptors for performance?

FX4ALL

Established Member
I'll throw in my 2 cents, but I'd shoot over to a more Raptor specific forum. Maybe FordRaptorForum dot com or the like.

Main reasons the Raptor feels like a slug compared to the Harley is the massive wheels/tires, weight increase, and softer suspension.

1) for a tune I would look into 5 star, I've read they're very good for the Raptors.

2) Not sure about the Res delete with SS works kit, but however they do their kit, it sounds great! I tow long distance a few times per year.. so the stock exhaust is loud enough when hauling 6k lbs for hours on end. I do agree the stock exhaust is too quiet though, so I bought an electric cutout that is going to replace the resonator. Just need to find the time to install it.

3) yeah, I read the same. They do add a deeper note to the engine though.. so it might be something to look into if you want more noise.

4) I'd stay away from BBK. Read / heard too many bad things about thier TBs.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I juat went to a muffler shop and paid 50 bucks for them to cut out the resonator and weld in a stock pipe. That with my magnaflow muffler it sounds awesome.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely a visit to the FRF is in order.
I have the SW exhaust with the resonator in place and it is perfect for me. Louder than stock, but no drone and not too loud.
A throttle body change is 1) probably not necessary, and 2) would require a tune, perhaps a little more custom than usual.
A CAI may be more personal preference as opposed to a giant performance leap. I think they flow better/more and you get rid of the air-flow disturbing resonator box.
A tune will help a great deal. There are several good ones out there, just do some research.

Good luck!

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Keep in mind also that you likely had a 3.73 rear axle in the HD vs. the 4.10 you have in the Raptor. You have the same power. You're just geared differently.

Roush offers a resonator delete cat-back that is strictly bolt on and both 5 Star and SVC tunes are highly regarded. The ROI on the throttle body is just not there to justify the cost in my opinion and, while I like the additional sound of a CAI it's probably better to leave it stock if you're going to be off road.

02_Lightning

Established Member
Thanks all! My thought on the TB was not for power, but for drivability. I picked up zero HP with my TB on my CTS-V, but drivability was MUCH improved.
I went with the SVC tune and also ordered a Magnaflow magnapack muffler and single in, dual out adapter to connect to factory tailpipes. This should do the trick for a cheaper, easier way to get what I want.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I think you'll find the majority of Raptor owners not so much focused on performance. Sure, they make do intake, catback, headers and a tune, but the majority of them aren't performance (power) focused.

Most owners do rims, shocks, lighting and bumpers as their upgrades.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
My first mods that were pretty good & made the truck wake up:

1. AFE Stage 2 CAI
2. Magnaflow Mufflers
3. 5 Star Tune

Those alone made the truck sound great & run great. Now I have full stainless works exhaust, procharged, built engine, built tranny...I went a lil overboard to be honest.

You can just port your stock throttle body with a dremel.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Keep in mind also that you likely had a 3.73 rear axle in the HD vs. the 4.10 you have in the Raptor. You have the same power. You're just geared differently.

Roush offers a resonator delete cat-back that is strictly bolt on and both 5 Star and SVC tunes are highly regarded. The ROI on the throttle body is just not there to justify the cost in my opinion and, while I like the additional sound of a CAI it's probably better to leave it stock if you're going to be off road.

you also have 35" tires versus 28"? tires..that offsets the gearing..the raptor weighs alot more due to it's suspension & tire/rim combo & I believe it's frame may be reinforced more as well.

02_Lightning

Established Member
The SVC tune was loaded in today and it was exactly what I wanted. The drivability is perfect now and the exhaust will get changed Friday for a much better sound. Went with no resonator, and a Magnaflow magnapack welded into the stock exhaust.
Now I love this truck!!! Such a shame it could not have come this way from the factory!! Ford tuning and exhaust has been awful over the life of the company!!

Users who are viewing this thread