New to me Cobra - have questions

40th GT

Established Member
Hi all,

Thanks for having me here. This is my first post, though I've been a member for a while. I've had a few other 4.6 based Mustangs and I finally got a Cobra. Wanted to make an introduction post and also ask some questions while I'm at it. I bought this car with leaking Bilsteins and 12 year old Nittos, so those were the first things I've addressed. The car came with Eibach springs, full length subframe connectors, k-member brace, rear LCAs and UCAs so overall it feels solid.

I am already itching for more power now, and I believe a MM k-member will alleviate some of the understeer. Street driveability is flawless now with a new IAC valve and I want to retain the same street manners but be faster.

The previous owner installed a non-intercooled Vortech V1 kit and it's making 10psi on the stock piping and stock crank pulley. I don't know what injectors it has, but he told me it's running a Trex pump which puts out 50gph.

I'm not wanting to go crazy just yet, but want to see where I stand with 12psi and what it would take to get there. From what I read, a 3.33" blower pulley should do the job, but I'm afraid of things getting too hot without an intercooler. I was looking at a Snow Performance meth kit, and started coming up with a shopping list. I picked up a WAP block locally and dropped it at a machine shop to be pressure tested, bored and honed. I'm thinking this is the beginning of a rabbit hole, but hoping it'll be manageable with proper planning.

Can someone help me put together a build list for 12psi, with 15psi as the eventual goal?
Can I install a larger pump on the stock fuel rails, or will that be a bottle neck once the fuel lines are upgraded? Do I even need a bigger pump?
Can I continue using the recirculating bypass system for 12psi+?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I'm no expert but the pistons and rods are weak links in these motors. I definitely wouldn't crank up the boost any more and probably be a good idea to run an intercooler even at 10psi.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm no expert but the pistons and rods are weak links in these motors. I definitely wouldn't crank up the boost any more and probably be a good idea to run an intercooler even at 10psi.

I was thinking the same thing, but he DID mention a WAP block he picked up, so sounds like he is building a new shortblock maybe?

40th GT

Established Member
Yes, new shortblock is at the machine shop. I'll be going with Manley 2618 forged pistons and MMR rods. Will reuse the stock crank that came with the WAP block.

I know my original post was all over the place, but I'm mainly wanting to know what fuel upgrades are needed for 14-15psi. I'll definitely install a meth kit before this happens.

Users who are viewing this thread