New (to me) car, engine bay is filthy.

petersen302

Established Member
Hi Everyone!

Several weeks ago I bought an 03 Cobra Vert that is quite modified. The car is in great shape with ~57k miles. However, the engine bay is filthy. I am looking for the most efficient and safe way to clean it. I don't want to risk soaking electronics, but I also don't want to tear everything down either. I'd like to get a good base cleaning in then I'll go through and touch some of the bigger areas.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
What I use....Chemical Guys:
NONSENSE ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
BAREBONES UNDERCARRIAGE SPRAY

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Get plastic food wrap from the store, cover the battery, alt, air filter, coil packs and then other major exposed electrical components you might see.

Do not use pressure washer, just hose.

Then blow dry it and I would start it and drive it to get it hot to get rid of any remaining water.

petersen302

Established Member
Get plastic food wrap from the store, cover the battery, alt, air filter, coil packs and then other major exposed electrical components you might see.

Then blow dry it and I would start it and drive it to get it hot to get rid of any remaining water.
Thanks!

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member

this if it’s dirty @petersen302 but I’m often nervous with a hose.... so I dilute the product with water, spray spray. Follow up I use a wet sponge of water. Towel /blow dry.

I might add, I’ve used simple green too... many times. Cheap, easy to source, and doesn’t do damage.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I'd cover any sensitive areas. Spray down with APC (all purpose cleaner), you may need to dilute it so it won't etch/discolor any aluminum blowers/turbos/etc., let it dwell, agitate with some brushes in areas where it is especially dirty, then hose off. Blow dry. Start vehicle.

Use one of the available engine bay/trim dressings on the plastics/hoses/etc.

5.0Black

Established Member
As others have stated cover the area's you think are sensitive. As far as product goes, if you don't want to mess with diluting I would go with Shine Supply Solution 32 oz bottle. Stuff is good for most surfaces as is. For cleaning, rinse, spray, agitate via brush or buffing towel, rinse, (repeat APC if needed) dry, dress. There are a lot of ways to dress the engine bay if you want more than just an APC finish. Something more long term would be Gtechniq C4 on plastic bits. If you want an easier to apply dressing try Aero Space 303 or Stoner Trim Shine.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
All Clean Chemical Guys Diluted get a gallon jug
Spray liberally on COLD ENGINE
Agitate with soft brush and clean all nooks and crannies
Rinse with garden hose
Blow engine bay out with leaf blower and get all water out
Wipe excess water with microfiber
Liberally spray SILK SHINE dressing (water based not oil like Armour All that attracts dust and dirt)

Bring home 1st place at the local car show. Been doing it this way for over 5 years on every vehicle I have owned.

Zero Issues

Side note, All Clean and Silk Shine can be used on the inner wheel wells to and any black factory plastic pieces.

Poco

Established Member
I had my Hotsy for about 10 years. I never use chemicals. Cover up key electrical items and blast away.

Users who are viewing this thread