New T.V. Recommendations

Jefe

Established Member
11 year old 51" Samsung is finally giving out. Has a thin vertical green line on the screen that you can almost ignore. In a smaller room so Im thinking a 55" would be a nice upgrade. Assuming this Q6 Samsung QLED for $699 is alright?

Q7 is $849:

Don't care about audio quality, I have a ridiculous old school Klipsch 5.1 setup. Main difference is Q6 edgelit vs Q8 backlit?

Last edited:

CLN 6R

Established Member
How is the quality of a wireless surround system vs. wired? I'm happy with the LG's audio and only use my wired surround (5 speakers plus sub-woofer) when watching movies. The wireless surround systems make installation so much easier.
I had a 5.1 home theater system with a receiver and switched to a Sonos wireless system (Arc, sub and two One SL’s) and couldn’t be happier. It’s pricey but takes up so much less space and so many less wires.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My wife always complains if I try to watch a movie with a little bit of volume. So I realized a long time ago it is worthless to get a good sound system. She does not appreciate it. If I want to watch a movie with decent sound good headphones is the way to go haha! I also don't want to lose my hearing so I go easy with the volume regardless.
I have a set of good wireless earphones but I can’t figure out how to connect it to my new receiver.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a five or six year old 65“ Samsung. I believe it’s the 7000 series and I picked it up from Costco. It was like $2400 at the time. I chose that because of the higher refresh rate at 240 Hz. I can’t remember if the base refresh rate is 60 or 120hz, but if you’re watching off-road racing, action movies or even football the lower refresh rate will have a shuttering affect. I guess mine came with 3D but I’ve never tried to use it. Edit hooked up to my 20 year old crewing-Vega surround sound end it sounded beautiful until my amp had an issue and caused the sub and two surrounds to fail. Replaced it with the Klipsch set up from Costco, running their 12 inch sub cluster six piece surround system with a smaller 8 inch wireless sub. It sounds phenomenal! Will shake pictures off the wall in the other room. Well worth the expense and makes movies more fun at home than the theater

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you have the Netflix 4k package? I am tempted to get it but I just never pull the trigger on that. They compress their videos so much anyway I think. You'll get 4k with a lot of noticeable artifacts, especially in dark scenes.
No, I did have the regular Netflix but cancelled last year. I'm wary of streaming 4K not knowing how much compression the services push. I notice even with regular 1080P (I'm using YouTube TV) some channels/shows seem to be compressed because the details are sub-par compared to other channels/shows. I was watching a football game on Saturday that was really bad, detail wise. Turned to another channel and another game and the quality was much better. Could it be more on the recording end? Or the streaming end?

cobracide

Established Member
No, I did have the regular Netflix but cancelled last year. I'm wary of streaming 4K not knowing how much compression the services push. I notice even with regular 1080P (I'm using YouTube TV) some channels/shows seem to be compressed because the details are sub-par compared to other channels/shows. I was watching a football game on Saturday that was really bad, detail wise. Turned to another channel and another game and the quality was much better. Could it be more on the recording end? Or the streaming end?
Netflix is variable bit rate compression. It absolutely could have been the source or a different compression rate on that particular channel stream at that time. Just ensure you have 25mbs of free bandwidth. That's about all you can really do with Netflix as far as I know.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
OLED65C1PUB

Upscaling - AI 4K Upscaling......................A comment made earlier in this thread about the lack of 4K programing !!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I got a 77" LG C8 OLED back in 2018 for my theater room and it's still amazing. I was mad that they stopped making plasma but OLED raised the bar. I'm about to get another 77" LG OLED for the living room, probably a C1.

mat50ho

Established Member
Samsung 65" Qn90A finally hit under 1500 to my door. Price I have been waiting for, I couldn'tresist. Now I am waiting for the shipping confirmation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Netflix is variable bit rate compression. It absolutely could have been the source or a different compression rate on that particular channel stream at that time. Just ensure you have 25mbs of free bandwidth. That's about all you can really do with Netflix as far as I know.
I've got plenty of bandwidth. Since my last post I haven't noticed any irregularities with picture quality. I use YouTube TV the majority of viewing time. I occasionally watch HBO Max and Amazon Prime.

DRTYAPE_SRT

Established Member
My friend works for a tv lift company, Nexus21. Everyone that works there is a tech nerd and he said the place is split 50/50 on tv’s half the employees have Samsung and half TCL. He paid $2500 for his sammie and really liked it until he came over and saw my TCL and said he can’t tell a difference between the two.

Even if his Samsung “lasts” longer than my TCL I’ll be able to upgrade four times to equal the cost of the Samsung.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Anyone with a Sony Bravia tv? Im trying to see if there are some deals for an oled with 4k 120hz refresh rate. 55+
Need to take advantage of the ps5 and my current tvs are not cutting it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I compared the Sony Bravia 65" with my LG Oled 65". I found the LG had a better picture. Just my own comparison.

Jefe

Established Member
Any TCL haters? That brand is getting a lot of love on Slick Deals

mat50ho

Established Member
Any TCL haters? That brand is getting a lot of love on Slick Deals
No matter how good the deal the reviews always scared me away. If you pick one up let us know 6 months out if you have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread