New Shelby Info

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
I am a sales consultant at an SVT certified dealership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, I'd like to say thanks to one of my customers who showed me this forum (you know who you are! ). I am a huge Mustang fan, but unfortunately I don't own one yet. I am going to try to address as many questions and statements as I can here and there are A LOT of posts to cover. I am going to be BRUTALLY honest, because I do not like how many dealerships are treating this subject...and I don't believe anyone should be given misinformation...so here goes:

How much will the Shelby be when it hits the dealer?..
Tentatively, we have heard anywhere from $40,000 to $48,000 (before dealer addendum), however Ford has not released ANY pricing information at all. We are estimating low 40's.

How many Shelby will be produce and will there be another year of it?
www.thegt500source.com/2005/articles/shelbygt500.dealerallocati.html
We haven't heard anything concerning a second production year.

the dealer i talked said it would be 10000 mark up atleast
This is a CONSERVATIVE estimate. I have had people call me from the West coast that didn't bat an eye at paying $75,000 for this car and I COULDN'T take the order. Too many things can happen between now and the release, not to mention we have no prices yet. This same customer told me on the phone that he is on waiting lists for several dealers and that one is even promising him $2,000 over sticker. He will NEVER see that car. I will elaborate:

When the 2005 model year Mustang GTs were released, the coupes were sold at $2,000 over on average and the convertibles were sold at $4000 over on average. Now if a stock GT was sold for $2,000 + over sticker upon release and there were ten times as many GTs as there will be Shelby GT500s, you can expect the markup to be substantial. If someone is willing to pay 10K+ over sticker and another person was "promised" 2K over, who do you think will be driving that car? It is a simple matter of supply and demand, and there will be a lot of people willing to pay the markup (check Ebay when they are released).

Just look around some. There are dealers out there guaranteeing MSRP in writing, and many dont have lists very long. The one i am at has 3 on the list and have never charged over list for a car, not an 03, and they are adamantly saying they wont do it with the GT500.
Hard to do without any price points. We don't do that because of that fact, and we don't want to string anyone along. More power to you if you can get this deal...but I sincerely doubt it.

I just stopped in at Ford of Kirkland the other day to kill some time and ask about the new GT 500. A salesmen met me right away and said, "Oh yeah we can get you info on that. We already pre-sold one."
He's lying.

The salesman lets him know what I am interested in and the Manager looks at me and says with a straight face, "Yeah they're only going to make 3000 units and the MSRP will be around 40k but we'll be selling them for around 60k-70k"
They don't have their facts straight, or they are lying again. The last part of the statement will more than likely be TRUE.

"That's garbage and I never pay more than MSRP"
I agree, however, there are people who can and definitely will, I have seen it and sold it!

HAHAHA! some of the stories I read crack me the hell up. Nobody can pre buy one, many dealers are taking $500-$1000 deposits, but that's about it.
Alot of peeps are going to be pissed when their deposits get refunded when they cannot get their car because of allocation. Again, another reason why we have not taken ANY deposits.

Well, there is really nothing to jump on. yeah, you can give your local SVT dealer $500 if you want, but that's it.
Put that $500 in the bank and earn some interest on it. :p
Any deposits aren't going to mean much when any dealerships receive their actual allocations...and then it will come down to who is going to pay the most. This sucks, but it is the truth.

dude ford announed the price range when it was first displayed at the car show.... $34,000-$38,000 range from ford factory, and its also in the car and driver atricle with the shelby on the cover... i think it was last month... it's not non-sence if it's in writing bud
It is nonsense. That was a while ago and I have seen price changes in Focuses since then. Plus they haven't even addressed the options rumor which was first printed around the same time.

Are you willing to pay a $10,000 markup on a new car? Only a fool would allow himself to be suckered into doing that. That is an avaricious dealers dream customer.
Trust me...there are probably more than 7,000 of these people, and that will be enough to sell them out.

Now, if you aren't willing to pay $50,000 to buy the car, would you have a Shelby?
Answer: No
2Stangs...thank you for thinking clearly. You might be one of the few guys who wouldn't swear at me out on the lot! Peeps like you are a breath of fresh air...seriously.

Do you honestly think that the car could be purchased new from a Ford dealer and then sold used by an individual and turn a profit?
Absolutely...and it was done time and time again when the '05 Mustang GTs came out.

Let all the morons pay over sticker. Let the market stabilize and before you know it you will be paying invoice at the end of the model year. It is the same deal every time when there is a new mustang out.
Again, there are probably more than 7,000 of these "morons" out there.

Here is a huge question:
How long will it be before someone can buy the Shelby w/X plan?!
NEVER. If they allowed this vehicle to be purchased for X-PLAN, it will effectively negate any added profit a dealership will receive. Ford may have A/X/Y/D Plan numbers on these, but you will be hard pressed to find a dealership who will accept it. Dealerships weren't accepting any discount plans on the 2005 Mustang GTs for quite a while. Besides, any salesperson with the means to buy it on D-PLAN in the country will...and there are more than 7,000 of us. :p We won't ever see it either though. :(

Damn! I'm getting A plan, and my Dealer had no problem giving me A plan! They get 4 GT 500's. I guess I'm lucky. I've had a 01 and a 03 Cobra and have always paid A Plan price. I still may not buy a 07 Cobra...
More lies. Allocation hasn't been set yet.

The problem isn't with Ford...it is with these stupid greedy dealers that mark things way up with their "market adjustments" and the fools that buy at those prices. Let the dealers sit on 'em and see what happens to their market adjustment then.
If you had something everyone wanted and you had one person willing to pay $10 for it while another person was willing to pay $30....who would you sell it to? If you answer anything other than the obvious...I hope you don't run a business. :p

New 2005 Mustangs of any type sold for $5,000.00 over sticker around here for quite a while after they were introduced. This was for 6 cylinders and GT's. Dealers were paying other dealers the $5,000.00 mark up also. The GT500 is a heck of a lot more car than the regular Mustangs.
Very true. My dealership bought 2005 Mustang GTs from other dealerships at STICKER to sell them pre-owned OVER, and it worked.

I hope this helped!

Dirk Diggs

BTW...information on this car is vague at best and a lot of what I have learned about them has been through forums like this, and my customers. Thank you - to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
sir, this is exactly why i didn't wait for this car to be released, i went out and bought a mint 2003 for a very good price. this car will be a great vehicle, but it will not be worth 10-15,000 over msrp, at least not to me. this is why i did not buy a new 2003 cobra also, i went and bought a new released 2003 subaru sti for 1500 under msrp, new at a dealership. why is ford trying to take advantage of fans by allowing these markups to happen. the 2003-2004 cobra is a great vehicle and your statement above makes me even happier about my purchase, as well as many more people i'm sure. even though i'm sure many people will pay the dealerships 10-15 over msrp, then turn around and sell them for a profit, it will not be me purchasing one and i hope they have a hard time turning them around and end up taking a loss. sorry it's long, but that's why i think ford is not a good company. okc03cobra, thank you for all the info, i think you're absolutely correct in everything you've said.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
OKCO, I'm not sure what your post actually says. It is hard to follow. It sounds like you are saying your dealer never has charged over sticker but, will for this car. Also seems like you think there are more than 7000 morons out there that will pay 50K plus for this car.

Well, you might be right, but, I doubt it. This car is a Mustang, not a GT or Enzo or Carerra Gt. If you crazy dealers think this car is worth that,get a clue. Most of us will not pay that kind of money. People willing to pay that kind of money aren't interested in Mustangs. I know Z06s are being bought at sticker already.

The x factor in that allocation letter is the Share of Nation. There will be more than 3 cars at most SVT dealerships. Several Dealerships won't want any. A lot of those are back country truck dealers that don't give a rat's ass about Mustangs.

edit: Ok, now I see, you are linking another site. then the above message is to Dirk Diggler, I guess.

Last edited:

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
badsube said:
sir, this is exactly why i didn't wait for this car to be released, i went out and bought a mint 2003 for a very good price. this car will be a great vehicle, but it will not be worth 10-15,000 over msrp, at least not to me. this is why i did not buy a new 2003 cobra also, i went and bought a new released 2003 subaru sti for 1500 under msrp, new at a dealership. why is ford trying to take advantage of fans by allowing these markups to happen. the 2003-2004 cobra is a great vehicle and your statement above makes me even happier about my purchase, as well as many more people i'm sure. even though i'm sure many people will pay the dealerships 10-15 over msrp, then turn around and sell them for a profit, it will not be me purchasing one and i hope they have a hard time turning them around and end up taking a loss. sorry it's long, but that's why i think ford is not a good company. okc03cobra, thank you for all the info, i think you're absolutely correct in everything you've said.

Not to get off the subject, but the latest edition of Motor Trend has a pretty good article about the EVO vs STI and another one about the Charger SRT-8 vs the GTO.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
OKCO, I'm not sure what your post actually says. It is hard to follow. It sounds like you are saying your dealer never has charged over sticker but, will for this car. Also seems like you think there are more than 7000 morons out there that will pay 50K plus for this car.

Well, you might be right, but, I doubt it. This car is a Mustang, not a GT or Enzo or Carerra Gt. If you crazy dealers think this car is worth that,get a clue. Most of us will not pay that kind of money. People willing to pay that kind of money aren't interested in Mustangs. I know Z06s are being bought at sticker already.

The post was one from Modular Fords written by an SVT dealer. I am just passing along what he said.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
The post was one from Modular Fords written by an SVT dealer. I am just passing along what he said.
sorry, i see that now. i was editing my post to say that when you posted this.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
okco, thanks for the info on the evo vs. sti. i love those shootouts. the srt-8 seems like a good car, that will be an interesting shootout too.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
OKCO3Cobra, makes a good point about pricing on the Gt 500. If people are willing to pay more then the dealer will gladly take his money.

At an on track event I was at this year, the Engineers from SVT point blank in a presentation said the GT500 would be produced for more than one year. I know because I asked the question. Perhaps he was misinformed?

FYI - I bought my 04 Cobra at X plan price and zero % interest. Had to wait until fall 2004 to do. But hey I have more time than money. I nearly decided to trade in my 04 and get my name on the "list" for a GT500. The wife told me not to get caught up in the hype. If I pick up a GT500 it won't be until it either becomes a multi year production vehicle or I can buy a used one.

my $.02

Last edited:

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Bottom line= Those that will be behind the wheel of one of these GT500'S in the fall of 06, will have spent atleast $50-$60,000 for it.............

***CRINGE!***

I guess if you got it like that... then....well, you got it like that.
But thats just foolish! CHAAAAAA-CHINGGG!

Love my 04 SVTTTTTTTTTTT COBRA =)

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
i think they're going to end up just like the ford gt. alot of people made alot of money investing in a gt to turn around and sell it, but with the release of the new zo6, the price of ford gt's is dropping rapidly. you could buy two highly price gouged zo6's for the price of one ford gt.

MountainCobra

SVT Cobra

Hello,I also am interested in a 07 Shelby Cobra but will probably try to get a Supercharged used Saleen.I called 6 SVT dealers near Moorefield,WV today and asked to be put on a list.Everyone of them told me the first two they will get are sold? One dealer told me the third received in Winchester,Va will be put on the showroom floor and sold to the highest bidder.The reason I called today was after taxes and penaltys I have $45000.00 cash to put on a 07 Saleen when released.Every dealer laughed over the phone and said look at about $60,000 to $80,000 for a 07 Cobra after dealer markup.Screw that and the Mustang horse they road in on.I should be able to get a nice 05 or 06 Su percharged Saleen by next summer for what we have if some of the owners that are rich sell there's hoping to get a 07 Cobra.Would love to stay in the Cobra line,We have a 97 Cobra now with a few mods and love it.But the rich get richer and the poor drive other cars I guess. :rockon: If anyone knows of an Honest dealer selling SVT's near West Virginia I would love to know of one.Thanks

I think if people wait until the last month of the year, they will find that they can get a Shelby at MSRP. I found the same thing going on NJ at the end of 2003 & 2004. This past December there were plenty of dealerships selling Cobras at MSRP. All the Cobras weren't sold out by the end of the year. And I don't see how we'll run out of Shelbys. While everyone wants a Shelby, not everyone goes out and buy one. There are so many good cars out there that you'll find plenty of Cobras come December. Dealers will be willing to go MSRP, especially since by the end of 06, people will be waiting for the 08 Shelby. I think everybody needs to relax a bit. Heck, there are plenty of 03-04 Cobras with low mileage on plenty of SVT dealerships now. I see plenty for resale at my local SVT dealer. I'd take a low mileage one as long as a compression test revealed no problems. If I didn't spend so much money on modding my 01, I would take one of the low mileage 03-04 Cobras for sale.

broeli

Established Member
I'd boycott those gouging dealers even when they bring the price down. Screw them..let them sit on the things. They would never get my business.
Anyone that pays 50k+ is just plain stupid. The way the Shelby is looking now..I wouldn't even pay msrp..especially if it is 40k+k

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
........How much will the Shelby be when it hits the dealer?..
Tentatively, we have heard anywhere from $40,000 to $48,000 (before dealer addendum), however Ford has not released ANY pricing information at all. We are estimating low 40's....

Thank God for Sallen!

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
we will see, but i'll bet half of the 7000-10000 cars wont sell over sticker. saw it happen on the 2 seater t-bird (i've had two of them,fine little cars), saw it happen on the terminator (have one now) and saw it happen on the 05 mustang. they will go down and it will happen fast. when they are a year old with a few thousand miles they will depreciate to $28,000-$30,000

Users who are viewing this thread