New Setup Sux...LTH/ORX/MF Street CB

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
After a year of having 1 7/8” ARH/Off Road X I finally had it installed on my Boss. Sounds like trash. Quiet, Tinny, slight raspy, and a whoosh sound when accelerating kinda like a boost leak sound. Decel backfire use to be amazing, now it sounds like mini firecrackers going off inside a soda can. Nothing like the deep muscular sound I had before with my no baffles side exhaust.

Since I have the Magnaflow catback, should I find some MF Competition mufflers to help get the proper V8 sound back? I can’t find anyone selling ARH h-pipes plus they (ARH) said swapping to their H Pipe wouldn’t make as much of a difference as a louder muffler would.

Any opinions on fixing this?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
First I would imagine try switching to an h-pipe, it should get you a deeper tone. It’s weird I used to have the magnaflow street axleback with long tubes and off-road x and thought it sounded pretty good. If you really want a deep tone check out MBRP. That was the first exhaust I had (race series) and it was really deep and loud. I would go with the street series though because in my experience the drone of the race series with an off-road pipe is unbearable. Another option would be to reinstall the stock over axle pipes and maybe swap out the stock axle backs for gt500’s if you want some extra volume.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling there’s an exhaust leak which could be causing the bad sounds. The car keeps stalling as well which may be an indication of that.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I put the stock cat back and mufflers back on. The embarrassing sounds are gone. The car is as quiet as a church mouse but the added back pressure of the stock over axles makes for a fun ride without my DR’s.

I still have the slight annoying sound on decel backfire which should go away when I find a H-Pipe replacement. I did tighten up the x-pipe bolts which may have helped as well.

I will be selling the Magnaflow Street Catback and go with the GT500 dual tip exhaust and valance. I may add the Borla OTA eventually but for now the car hauls azz!

Thanks for the suggestion Fuel!

fuelforfire87

Established Member
No Problem, Also AM made an exhaust video that could be relevant to you. Has clips of the magnaflow street catback, mbrp race catback, and borla atak. Granted this is with stock manifolds and mid-pipe but still will give you an idea. I think a lot of the sound that you don't like is coming from the x-pipe. It tends to add rasp and is not as deep sounding as an H-pipe. Personally I like x-pipes and a bit of rasp but sounds like you like the opposite. Exhaust is such a subjective category.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Also to give you an idea on how the borla OTA pipes will sound, There is a video from AM on the LTH over axle pipes (which are basically the same as the borla ones).

I am running these, (actually they are lethal performance OAP which are made by the same company but they don't have the titan satin finish). I have a Corsa axle back so it's loud but hardly any drone.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
After much research this weekend I ordered the Gt500 dual tip axleback/valance kit that I always wanted, strangely enough. Funny how things work out.

Off-road H will be purchased after I sell this Magnaflow catback.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Nice, I ended up going quad (dual) tip as well but with the Corsa Sport GT500 mufflers. Love how it looks from the rear. Install isn't that bad either for the valance.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Those look killer. Just a little louder then I’m looking to go. Valance is cake with the Boss. No bumper cutting.

Users who are viewing this thread