New Rear gears and clutch

Lee

Established Member
I'm finally going to have a set of gears, 3.55s, installed on the 93. I need to have the limited slip clutch rebuilt so while we're in there I'll have the guy install the gears. I'm eager to "feel" the difference, and I'm hoping it won't be wound too "tight" while driving down the freeway at 70.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Don't worry, you'll be fine with the 3.55's on the interstate. Can't believe you're still running the stock gear!

You will be amazed at the difference in acceleration... :D

r6bullet

Established Member
Yes you will love the gears, I just installed some myself on my 93 GT. I put in 3.73s and absolutly love them, I might add that the mustang is not a daily driver. And when I do take the stang down the highway it turns a little to many rpms for my likings. I don't know if my 93 GT T5 is any differant than a T5 in a cobra but when I get my 93 cobra I think I am going to put 3.55s in it because it will be daily driven. Trust me and everybody else when they tell you gears rock :rockon: I didn't know how much the stock gears sucked until I replaced them. I remember the first time I drove it I was like :eek:
Later guys :beer:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
There is a big difference in powerbands between the GT and Cobra. 3.73's in a GT would feel kinda steep to me because of the GT/LX's low end power.

3.73's in a cobra do not feel the same (as low) because the cobra has a higher torque peak over the GT.

Of course this is assuming both motors are stock. Cam change or a head swap on either car throws everything I just said out the window

r6bullet

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
There is a big difference in powerbands between the GT and Cobra. 3.73's in a GT would feel kinda steep to me because of the GT/LX's low end power.

3.73's in a cobra do not feel the same (as low) because the cobra has a higher torque peak over the GT.

Of course this is assuming both motors are stock. Cam change or a head swap on either car throws everything I just said out the window

That is what I thought but I wasen't sure. All I know is that the gears are the best thing I ever did to the car. Now the car is awaiting a H/C/I install. I can't wait

Shane's93LX

Established Member
In my opinion and experience, 3.73s are awesome; just a bit more pep than 3.55s, but still good RPM for highway use.

Lee

Established Member
It's on the lift now. I had to drive it over in the rain. I've not had the 93 in the rain since I bought it in April of 2000. Oh well. It won't melt. I'm looking forward to the drive home!

r6bullet

Established Member
Originally posted by Lee
Sounds like serious fun!! :thumbsup:

Oh it is, if you can hold yourself back you want to drive the car easy at least a couple hundred miles to break in the gears. My richmond install video says drive it 500 miles then drain and refill the fluid. When the gears are new they will shave off a little metal and all of those little metal particles will me in your oil. Just in case you didn't know. Let us know how you like them, I'm sure you will be surprised.

Lee

Established Member
I arrived in time to watch the mechanic finish up all the rear end work. He rebuilt the clutch pack that was sticking and making popping noises, replaced the rear pinion seal that was leaking, installed the FMS 3.55 gears and set the gear spacing, added proper speedometer gear and added FMS 70-140 synthetic gear oil with the friction modifier. We then took it for a drive and the rear was quiet. On the drive home the first thing I noticed was I didn't have to slip the clutch any to get moving in 1st gear. Next thing I noticed is that I can now use 5th gear in town without lugging. When I finally hit the freeway I had too many slow pokes in front of me that kept me from accellerating hard to enter the freeway. I did notice that I went through the gears much faster and that the Flowmaster "drone" was now worse at 65-70 than before, I was hoping this would be quieter. I'll probably re-install the stock system before too long. Bottom line, I didn't get a change to "hammer it" but I could sure tell it winds through the gears much quicker and 1st gear launches are much easier, and 2nd gear launches, from stop, are now possible. I'll have to play with it more when I return from a business trip to Dallas. Fun! :D

Last edited:

r6bullet

Established Member
Originally posted by Lee
I arrived in time to watch the mechanic finish up all the rear end work. He rebuilt the clutch pack that was sticking and making popping noises, replaced the rear pinion seal that was leaking, installed the FMS 3.55 gears and set the gear spacing, added proper speedometer gear and added FMS 70-140 synthetic gear oil with the friction modifier. We then took it for a drive and the rear was quiet. On the drive home the first thing I noticed was I didn't have to slip the clutch any to get moving in 1st gear. Next thing I noticed is that I can now use 5th gear in town without lugging. When I finally hit the freeway I had too many slow pokes in front of me that kept me from accellerating hard to enter the freeway. I did notice that I went through the gears much faster and that the Flowmaster "drone" was now worse at 65-70 than before, I was hoping this would be quieter. I'll probably re-install the stock system before too long. Bottom line, I didn't get a change to "hammer it" but I could sure tell it winds through the gears much quicker and 1st gear launches are much easier, and 2nd gear launches, from stop, are now possible. I'll have to play with it more when I return from a business trip to Dallas. Fun! :D

That is another thing that I liked about my gears, 1st gear is much eaiser to get going. With my 3.73 I have to shift before I even get to the other side of the intersection. (sounds like a semi, shifting all the time). I love them, and I am 100% glad I did it. I can tell you that you will look like this :eek: the first time you get on it. Trust me

Lee

Established Member
Correct Richard. Just so happens the rpm at 65-70 causes them Flo's to really "resonate" with the 3.55 gear. Guess I'll have to cruise at a higher rpm! :)

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
3.73 and flows at 70mph is just out of the drone zone - should have done 3.73's! :lol:

I've heard that long tubes cancel out the drone, somewhat. Time for more mods! :D

Users who are viewing this thread