New Rear Brake Pads Stiff and Upgrade Showcase

NotSatisfied

Established Member
So I installed my FRPP cover, MM adjustable rear tie rods and sway bar endlinks. Also installed new 6P brakes in the front (black ice color) along with MM coilovers, TeamZ Auto Cross Lower Arms, and Bilsteins all around. This car had a an extremely soft drag setup and was bottoming out in the streets of Houston.

I noticed when I installed the rear brakes they are stiff. I drained all the brake fluid but never pushed the piston back (didn’t seem like I had to) but I notice the pads are stiff on the rotor. Will this reset once bled and the engine started?

IMG_0612.JPG
30563ED6-DC18-4D38-8413-1A44A71131C8.jpg

View attachment 1776240

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So you put new pads on without pushing the piston back in? The pads will eventually self clearance, but they might get hot and glaze over in the mean time. Which means you'll be pulling everything apart to clean everything off.

I'd push the piston back in. There's nothing that will automatically pull it back in. And I'd suggest the tool that turns and compresses at the same time.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
So you put new pads on without pushing the piston back in? The pads will eventually self clearance, but they might get hot and glaze over in the mean time. Which means you'll be pulling everything apart to clean everything off.

I'd push the piston back in. There's nothing that will automatically pull it back in. And I'd suggest the tool that turns and compresses at the same time.

What do you mean turns and compresses at the same time?

NotSatisfied

Established Member
So I bled the brakes but my rear driver caliper is acting up. I can’t really turn it anymore. The brakes are still engaged. I however can spin it backwards no problem but forward- no.

It’s not in gear, no parking brake engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

NotSatisfied

Established Member
That sounds like a pad hanging up. Are the pins on the pad lined up with the piston?

Bingo. I watched a video LMR posted and no they weren’t, I didn’t know about the pins.

Used the tool and pushed the piston back up and oriented the pins for the piston and all works now!

Now I need to know why my brake lights aren’t working (haha) the lights work with the headlights but not with the pedal pressed.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Do the blinkers work?

Blinkers, hazards, turns and tail lights work. Brake lights do not. I do have the steering shaft out. Only thing I can think of is doing the brake bleeding procedure and maybe I broke it or something will look closely at the brake switch like the other guy suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread