new Raptor EcoBoost powered?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I'm in the market for a Raptor, but I don't know whether to buy the last Gen I or wait for the Gen II.
I would hate for them to get rid of the 6.2L option. But I do understand the issue with MPG.

I think what would be ideal is the Cobra Jet engine, a 5.8L ecoboost (twins). Thats best of both worlds; V8 and FI.

I would not like to see the 5.0L in the Raptor...I think it needs a bigger motor; 5.8L for the win!!!

Anyway, not sure what to do...
I think the current Raptor is a lot better looking than the 2015s I have seen so far. The only thing I like about the 2015s is the bigger moon roof and the interior. Oh and the 700LB weight savings.

What to do!!?? What to do!!??

Oh I guess I should add that it will be primarily used to tow my Mustang... lol
Not sure how it handles as a tow vehicle.

If your doing ANY towing, especially at high altitude, you will not be happy. Even just towing your mustang, figure the car weighs around 4000 pounds and the trailer weighs about 2000 pounds. So 6K… If your just towing short distance it will be fine, but towing long distance especially over at high altitudes, for get it. Your are absolutely wasting your money..

Just keep this in mind… I went through the same dilemma a few months ago… The raptor is a useless vehicle in my opinion… Unless you live in Baja or Yuma Arizona and want to go 80 mph through sand washes its a complete waste of money. It does ONE thing very well drive really fast off road on wide open trails…. that's it. Its not going to perform well on tight mountain trails, you still need a shorter wheel base and narrower vehicle like a Jeep.

If all your towing is your Mustang and your not doing this extreme baja style off roading, then just save yourself 20K and buy an F-150 Ecoboost, put a tune and down pipe on it, put nice lift and wheels on it.

If your towing anything more than that, long distances I would go for the diesel.

Keep this in mind… I just paid 53K out the door for a LOADED, F-250 Powerstroke.. I can tow a freight train, still do some light off roading, and still spent 10-12K less than a stupid raptor…

If the raptor had an ecoboost it would be an absolute no brainer… but that 6.2L or ANY normally aspirated Gas V8 for that matter is a piece of shit.

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
The ecoboost is def a great platform for someone that just wants to do conservative modding but net big results. THat's with any boosted vehicle though. I currently drive a duramax and I love it, but was looking at the ecoboost when I finally get out of this. I Had plans of modding this Duramax to make it run like a banshee, but I learned that the stock fuel system was made much smaller for the 2011+ and if you want to make it a beast, you need to spend thousands on the fuel system. I Maxed my fuel system out at just an 80hp tune

WOW - no shit? Maxxed out the fuel system with an 80 HP tune??? Got duramaxed huh? Damn, that sucks.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I have been wanting to buy an Expedition for a long time to replace my Excursion, but have held off waiting for a new engine.
Now the Ecoboost is the ONLY engine choice for the EX.
I'm anxious to drive one and see how it feels.

DUDE… I'm right there with you!! We have to get a new expedition also for my wife. So we really wanted the Ecoboost Expedition… but come on… 65K **** THAT!!! Like I said I just paid 53K out the door for my power stroke… So we ended up just buying a 2010 used Expedition with a 5.4L (albeit POS). We're going to wait a couple years and then hope for rebates to get the 65K MSRP down below 50K….

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I just paid 53K out the door for a LOADED, F-250 Powerstroke.. I can tow a freight train, still do some light off roading, and still spent 10-12K less than a stupid raptor…

Wow, I've never seen a Raptor sell for 63-65k. Must have some serious dealer markups that only idiots would pay...

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Wow, I've never seen a Raptor sell for 63-65k. Must have some serious dealer markups that only idiots would pay...

I don't know of anyone that got "out the door" tax title license for less than 60K. Look I'm not totally knocking the raptor, but its way overpriced and that engine is such a piece of shit. Its just sad that the mediocre Ecoboost F-150 has a better engine than the "elite" raptor.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't know of anyone that got "out the door" tax title license for less than 60K. Look I'm not totally knocking the raptor, but its way overpriced and that engine is such a piece of shit. Its just sad that the mediocre Ecoboost F-150 has a better engine than the "elite" raptor.

It's only "overpriced" because most dealers are putting 10k+ ADM on them. People are more than willing to pay those prices for them for a reason. For what you get, it's a great deal if your looking for a truck to take off roading with light towing duty. I don't think I have heard anyone call the engine a POS before. Everyone loves the engine. Wouldn't call the ecoboost F-150 mediocre either. Especially since it's a premium engine option and not available on the lower trim levels.

Gas motors aren't POS. If you live and drive regularly in high altitudes (I see your in colorado and sounds like you are) then yes, a diesel or ecoboost motor would be better suited for that environment as they aren't effected as much by the thinner air. It's the nature of the design. If you don't live in high elevations, like many many people, or in the raptors case many deserts and other off road terrain is located, the added cost of diesels and ecoboosts may not make much sense. They sell very well and some people truly need the added capability of a diesel or ecoboost, but for many a NA gas motor is just fine. There are many great NA motors. Just because you live in a location that doesn't favor them doesn't make them any less than a great motor.

Have you seen any reviews on the raptor? They are phenomenal trucks. They have great road manners, tow decently well for a baja oriented truck which is the total opposite of what the suspension is designed for, haul a decent amount, and are fantastic off-road. There are more terrains the raptor is great in than you are giving it credit for.

Last edited:

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Stopped by the local Ford dealer today--they had at least 4 Raptors sitting there with a huge ADM. I wish Ford would tell the dealers to drop those, people get excited to see the vehicles and then they get hit with 5k-10k greed. I am excited to see an ecoboost Raptor. They also had 2 new Mustangs with "only" a 5k ADM.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
lol troll. I got mine for 50K sticker with a luxury package, forged wheels and a front camera. a hell of a lot of truck for the $$ and IMO the best looking one out there - the compliments are endless. the engine is a power house and dead reliable coming from older 2010 6.2 owners, some with 100k on theirs. keep on talking from your ass and hating with your fugly superduty, j/o.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I paid invoice for both of mine. If you haven't actually owned one, I can't process your opinion.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I paid invoice for both of mine. If you haven't actually owned one, I can't process your opinion.

Its the engine dude... the 6.2 is total flop... the truck is cool. Overpriced, but cool. The engine is a total piece of shit for what your paying.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How is it a piece of shit? Are you talking out your ass or do you have some specifics? Please elaborate.

He said earlier N/A motors are POS because they suffer at high altitudes (>5k feet). He's in colorado which I think means he lives above 5k feet (mean elevation is like 6800 feet above sea level). He has no other evidence. I had already commented on how thats BS.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
He said earlier N/A motors are POS because they suffer at high altitudes (>5k feet). He's in colorado which I think means he lives above 5k feet (mean elevation is like 6800 feet above sea level). He has no other evidence. I had already commented on how thats BS.

Let me clarify how its a "piece of shit"... I don't mean that its unreliable or going to blow up...

Its just under powered, plain jane flowing heads, no forged internals, its just a cheaply made plain jane large displacement motor. Aside from fuel injection, it reminds me of the 460 my dad had in his 1983 class C motorhome. The only reason it makes the power that it does is because its a 6.2L. For that kind of money, if its going to be normally aspirated, it should at least be comparable to an LS7 where at least its a well built engine with strong internals high performance heads.

Its fords cheap way of attracting red necks with the stupid 6.2L badge on the side... Don't get me wrong displacement is huge... but at least throw a decent set of heads and internals in it.

I have the same issue with the 5.4L in my wife's expedition... Its similar crap in a larger displacement motor.

Bottom line if your gonna charge 60K for a gas based normally aspirated "high performance" truck, jeez at least build the freakin motor. I just don't understand why you would put this awesome Ecoboost with so much more potential in the regular F-150 and leave this garbage left over for the "elite" raptor.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't think I have heard a single actual raptor owner complain that their 6.2L is severely under powered. Why increase costs when it already met Ford's performance goals? IIRC the ecoboost was a higher dollar option over the 6.2L in the F-150's while it was offered.

Every motor could be better. A lot of people wish the coyote came with stronger rods, but they don't say it's a POS because the rods could be better or that it could have DI.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's also unfair to call it a 60K dollar truck when the base price was around 45K MSRP. Adding ADM, taxes, licensing, etc. to it doesn't make sense when Ford doesn't see a single penny of that.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Look guys two each their own... The Raptor to me is a horrible value and nothing but eye candy, then factor in the N/A issues at high altitude and its an absolute waste of money... the Ecoboost and power stroke are a much better bang for the buck. Understandably the power stroke is in a different class.

Had they put the ecoboost in it, at the existing price point, it would definitely be worth considering. It sounds like 2016 is going to have the ecoboost in it, so "apparently" someone at ford even agrees with me.

The only reason I'm even continuing to reply in this thread is the hope that others will not make the mistake and Ford learns it lesson and hopefully puts the Ecoboost in the Raptor for 2016. I know Ford engineers and analysts get on these forums and read what people are "really" saying so hopefully they get the message.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Well, I guess you can't make everyone happy. Out of the tens of thousands of actual owners who love the 6.2 Raptor there will always be someone (not an owner) who has to gripe about something....

john01

Established Member
I don't have a Raptor but the 6.2 in my F350 pulls my 11,500 lb excavator on my 3,400 lb trailer so I would think it would be awesome in the Raptor. I'd like a Raptor with either but after owning an 03 Cobra with a KB the 6.2 with one would be sweet!

kln5014

Jack Stand Hero
Established Member
I have twice towed my Mustang over 3 hours each way with my Raptor, and got 11-12mpg.

I get close to 14mpg daily driving it. I realize its not a street racer so I don't drive it as such, and in turn, it gives me just as good gas mileage as my friends 5.0 F150. I absolutely love my truck and have no complaints about the 6.2.

Users who are viewing this thread