new Raptor EcoBoost powered?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Raptor owners are not concerned about gas mileage. Ford didn't expect to sell as many as they did with gas prices where they are. After that, I think they should just get the 6.2L to 500hp and with the new aluminum frame it should shed some weight so that would be nice.

More travel would be awesome, but doub't they'll do that though as the mass doesn't use it for what it is intended for..

The raptor's current road manners which are great would be compromised if they changed from a mid-travel to a long travel suspension setup I think. I am betting that's what will prevent much more travel from being added from the factory.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Next Raptor should have a direct injected hipo 5.0 (could be 2 smaller turbos to cut lag, or... ?). Ford is good at leveraging R&D costs across vehicle platforms, so here's hoping whatever they have up their sleeves in the skunkworks for the GT350 or Mach1 can find a home under the hood of the new Raptor.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
No Ecoboost v8, no care.

what a piece of shit… ugh… No Ecoboost… NOT interested… and everyone else should boycott it!! If its not going to be an ecoboost and they are stuck on a the ****ing V8, at least put a blower on it with forged internals. At least then it will be worth what they charge for them.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Why would they put an ecoboost in it? It makes no sense at all!

Um… lets see, more power, more efficient, lighter weight, and most of all HIGH ALTITUDE performance - the turbos don't loose power at high altitude. If you have never lived or driven, towed at high altitude you would understand… Normally Aspirated SUCKS!!!!

guarnibl

Established Member
Um… lets see, more power, more efficient, lighter weight, and most of all HIGH ALTITUDE performance - the turbos don't loose power at high altitude. If you have never lived or driven, towed at high altitude you would understand… Normally Aspirated SUCKS!!!!

I'll leave this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWE11Oo5rg (the truck he's driving was owned by a friend of mine -- it's incredible).

The standard 5.0 doesn't do well in the sand -- which is (one reason) why Ford went with the 6.2.

The ecoboost will out perform the 6.2 in EVERY way.

I would expect to see an all aluminum raptor with an ecoboost v6 that turns out 20 mpg.

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWE11Oo5rg (the truck he's driving was owned by a friend of mine -- it's incredible).

The standard 5.0 doesn't do well in the sand -- which is (one reason) why Ford went with the 6.2.

I would expect to see an all aluminum raptor with an ecoboost v6 that turns out 20 mpg.

Thank you!!! :rockon:

Tuned Ecoboost will run circles around a 6.2L

Troponin

Established Member

I am about halfway through the vid and they mention nothing about their Ecoboost raptor being all stock motor. Is it?

Edit, nvm, I saw him talking about the acceleration of it and it's def not a stock ecoboost V6

Last edited:

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I am about halfway through the vid and they mention nothing about their Ecoboost raptor being all stock motor. Is it?

Edit, nvm, I saw him talking about the acceleration of it and it's def not a stock ecoboost V6

Well its definitely tuned and has the typical emissions delete stuff which extensively opens it up. Internally, don't think you have to do much if anything. Stock from the factory its completely forged internals and can handle quite a bit of power. Similar to a stock cobra motor. As opposed to that piece of shit 6.2L - its such a piece junk… since they built it for NA they did't put anything special internal on that motor, so even if you did boost it, you wouldn't be able to safely put more than 5-7 pounds on it.

We did a friend of mine's F-150 with Ecoboost, we put tune, intake, and down pipe with cat delete. It easily picked up 100+ hp conservatively. I think its actually clearing 500. And it tows awesome! Granted unfortunately it doesn't have the suspension the raptor has, but man an Ecoboost raptor would be absolutely awesome!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

no it isnt more efficient. It gets the same fuel mileage as the 5.0 in most conditions and worst when under load or towing. Also ecoboost owners with larger wheel and tires sets experience a huge drop in fuel economy. There is a reason why ecoboost isnt the standard engine for superduty.

Ecoboost also gets worse fuel mileage than either similiarly sized GM trucks with 5.3 or 6.2L. This is an undisputed fact. Notice how no other truck manufacturer opted for a smaller turbo engine? :rolleyes: Ford has done a good job of pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
gas mileage aside... it will out perform any factory normally aspirated V8 that hasn't been super modified...

AutoXRacer

Established Member
I'm in the market for a Raptor, but I don't know whether to buy the last Gen I or wait for the Gen II.
I would hate for them to get rid of the 6.2L option. But I do understand the issue with MPG.

I think what would be ideal is the Cobra Jet engine, a 5.8L ecoboost (twins). Thats best of both worlds; V8 and FI.

I would not like to see the 5.0L in the Raptor...I think it needs a bigger motor; 5.8L for the win!!!

Anyway, not sure what to do...
I think the current Raptor is a lot better looking than the 2015s I have seen so far. The only thing I like about the 2015s is the bigger moon roof and the interior. Oh and the 700LB weight savings.

What to do!!?? What to do!!??

Oh I guess I should add that it will be primarily used to tow my Mustang... lol
Not sure how it handles as a tow vehicle.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
For towing your mustang it will be fine as long as your trailer isn't made of lead lol. I think it is a safe bet that the 5.8 will not be in the raptor since they aren't building a 5.8 any more. As far as I know the 6.2 will be relegated for use in Super dutys only, so it won't be in the raptor. Ford could surprise me, but I doubt it. A 5.0/5.2 or the 3.5 ecoboost is more likely. Ford will make changes to help with the torque band.

As far as looks go, that you have to decide which you want. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what the Gen II will look like for a while.

The Gen II will be a better performer. Not wanting one simply because it doesn't have a 6.2 badge on it is kinda silly to me. If I like the styling and there is a big enough bump in performance/fuel mileage, I will be buying a Gen II once finances allow the next vehicle purchase in a couple years. If it isn't a large enough bump, I will likely find a 2014 Raptor and save a few bucks.

Dirt2067

Established Member
I have been wanting to buy an Expedition for a long time to replace my Excursion, but have held off waiting for a new engine.
Now the Ecoboost is the ONLY engine choice for the EX.
I'm anxious to drive one and see how it feels.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't remember a 5.8 being in the cobra jet. I know the current 2014 cobra jet is a supercharged 5.0. The Trinity 5.8 out of the GT500 is dead though.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
No 5.8L...? I thought thats what the new Cobra Jet was getting??

So the 5.0L is it for V8s...?

Ford is working on a 5.2L for the mustang. Granted it's supposed to have a flat plane crank, but they are working on one none the less. Absolutely nothing is really known about the next raptor. No one knows what direction it will head. Whatever ends up in the next raptor will be just as good, if not better than the 6.2. Dropping 500-700 pounds makes a huge difference.

Troponin

Established Member
Well its definitely tuned and has the typical emissions delete stuff which extensively opens it up. Internally, don't think you have to do much if anything. Stock from the factory its completely forged internals and can handle quite a bit of power. Similar to a stock cobra motor. As opposed to that piece of shit 6.2L - its such a piece junk… since they built it for NA they did't put anything special internal on that motor, so even if you did boost it, you wouldn't be able to safely put more than 5-7 pounds on it.

We did a friend of mine's F-150 with Ecoboost, we put tune, intake, and down pipe with cat delete. It easily picked up 100+ hp conservatively. I think its actually clearing 500. And it tows awesome! Granted unfortunately it doesn't have the suspension the raptor has, but man an Ecoboost raptor would be absolutely awesome!

The ecoboost is def a great platform for someone that just wants to do conservative modding but net big results. THat's with any boosted vehicle though. I currently drive a duramax and I love it, but was looking at the ecoboost when I finally get out of this. I Had plans of modding this Duramax to make it run like a banshee, but I learned that the stock fuel system was made much smaller for the 2011+ and if you want to make it a beast, you need to spend thousands on the fuel system. I Maxed my fuel system out at just an 80hp tune

Users who are viewing this thread