New Racing Numbers - Experiances With Magnetics?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
He guys and gals... I'm going to post this on a couple forums to get some broad feedback.

I just bought some magnetic number plates to use at the track. I want to use these for this year. If I like going to track days and it seems like affordable entertainment, I will have vinyl numbers put on the car professionally installed.

With the magnetic numbers, should I tape the leading edge or are the magnets usually strong enough to stay on the car at speeds of 140-150 mph? How do these hold out? You think I will I get the rest of the season out of them if I go once a month?

These are 8 inch numbers... stuck them to my locker to flatten out. When the rain stops, I'll pop a few pictures of them on the car.

NumbersOnLocker.jpg

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
I have a similar sized set of numbers that I used for autocross, never for HPDE. I always taped the leading edge, even with the lower speeds of autocross. Never felt like they stuck strong enough to trust.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
That's kinda the vibe in getting. I had them on at 80 and they didn't move, but there is nowhere around here but the track to test speeds over that.

dmichaels

Established Member
I've lost one once. But I've also done about 3000 track miles with them. As long as they are flat with no lip you should be fine. Taping won't hurt, but I never found that was needed aside from once and I'm not positive the loss was at the track or towing the car to the track

dmichaels

Established Member
Wanted to note that I lost another magnetic number st Watkins Glen last week. It happened on the back straight where I was touching 144

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Wow. That's some good speeds. Sucks that the numbers came off though.

They stayed on my car with no issues, but my top speed was only 116. This weekend will likely be the same thing, but on the 30th I'm gonna be on a circuit with a few big straights. I think I'll tape the leading edge to help hold them down.

I am seriously considering having the car done in vinyl. It will be there all the time, but I won't have to worry about them blowing off.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow. That's some good speeds. Sucks that the numbers came off though.

They stayed on my car with no issues, but my top speed was only 116. This weekend will likely be the same thing, but on the 30th I'm gonna be on a circuit with a few big straights. I think I'll tape the leading edge to help hold them down.

I am seriously considering having the car done in vinyl. It will be there all the time, but I won't have to worry about them blowing off.

I use the vinyl numbers on my Viper. I just tear them off after each track day and get new ones. Luckily for me, there's a shop right behind my store that makes them and they aren't too pricey.

Doing it this way, also allows you to change it up if you'd like.

First batch:
upload_2017-6-12_8-3-59.png

This next time:

upload_2017-6-12_8-6-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-12_8-5-31.png
    upload_2017-6-12_8-5-31.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 234

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
That's bad ass! I like the concept. There is a vinyl sign shop up the street from me. I may need to work out a deal with those guys.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's bad ass! I like the concept. There is a vinyl sign shop up the street from me. I may need to work out a deal with those guys.

Thanks. I think it costs me about $12-15 per decal.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
That's not bad at all. I only plan on 4 to 6 events a year. I guess I need to learn how to do wet application vinyl installs. I like that a lot more than the magnetic numbers.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's not bad at all. I only plan on 4 to 6 events a year. I guess I need to learn how to do wet application vinyl installs. I like that a lot more than the magnetic numbers.

It's super easy, if I can do it, you can.

I just like the peace of mind knowing they aren't going to fly off of the car.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I use the vinyl numbers on my Viper. I just tear them off after each track day and get new ones. Luckily for me, there's a shop right behind my store that makes them and they aren't too pricey.

Doing it this way, also allows you to change it up if you'd like.

First batch:
View attachment 92401

This next time:

View attachment 92403

If you are at all curious, and I understand if you aren't, the flag should be displayed with the stars(union) forward on both sides of the car. I know it sounds wrong because the flag will look backwards on the passenger side, but it is the correct way to present the flag. Maybe you already know this, but most don't.

Also, to OP, if you do run the sticker like 13COBRA, let your supplier know it is a temporary sticker. There is more than one type of vinyl. If I were making it I would use a mask material, which is designed to come back off and in one piece. Some of that stuff is very sticky and will come off in pieces... if you get that one you will hate life when it comes to removal.

Otherwise, that sticker looks fantastic. I am thinking of running my Cobra for some autocross days... I think I'll make some up!

Users who are viewing this thread