New potential buyer.. questions?

Mwynn

Established Member
Thinking about buying one of these rare beautiful cars... obviously there is a potential fuel cell issue. Has anyone heard of the factory paint bubbling on the hood? Is this a common problem? Is the hood aluminium? A factory issue? What other things should I look for before purchasing? Thanks for any feedback.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I have car #76, and the hood had the bubbles real bad. Hoods are fiberglass BTW.

I had the hood stripped down, regelcoated, and repainted twice, and each time they came back worse than ever and in different spots.

I finally bought an HO Fibertrends replacement hood, had it painted, put on, and have had no problems, and no one would ever know it's a replacement.

The front splitter is really not meant to be left on while driven at high speeds, I've left it off many times on long trips (my car is about to turn 44k miles). The inner corners tend to flex a bit and crack.

I really can't think of anything else, this has actually been one of my most reliable mustangs I've ever had.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have a late production, and no bubbling. No idea if production timing made a difference.

The fuel cell will 10000% leak eventually. It is rumored that a company called Glenn's performance is making an an aluminum tank with out the bladder. They have made one for the 95r, and I installed one when the blatter started leaking. Was the perfect solution for me.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Good info above. FYI, the original owner of my car had the dealer repaint the hood under "warranty." I put warranty in quotes, because these cars didn't actually come with a warranty. I got the paperwork from the repaint, but it happened due to bubbles on the hood when the car was brand new and 17 years later there are no issues/signs of the bubbles returning. Many of the 00Rs have either a bubbled original hood or an aftermarket non-bubbled hood. You can easily spot an aftermarket hood by the lack of the diagonal brace on the bottom of the driver's side of the hood. It will lack the decals on the nottom side of the hood as well. Top sides look the same.

TFStang

Established Member
Don't know the history on #299, but if you have any info on the car, it would be nice if you could post specifics here as this forum and it's members keep close track of the 300 and provide valuable info to members like you when they are on the hunt for one. It is especially important with these cars as quite a few have been raced, modified and / or otherwise thrashed. The advise other forum members have given already is great. The car came with quite a few nick knacks. Make sure the car still has them all as they are getting harder and harder to get as are clean no stories R's in general. There are plenty of low mile cars out there with issues or history that I wouldn't touch. Good luck with your search and keep coming back to verify when you come across what you think may be a candidate.

Mwynn

Established Member
I have been looking at buying #299, all I know at this time, the car spent most of its life in west palm beach fl, then has has changed owner's this past January and is Virginia now. Pics look clean, sealing agent does say the hood paint is blistering a little. 2900 miles on the car. Still in negotiations... so I keep you guys posted.

projectmu

I have #233 00R. 2,550 miles on it. I bought it last February from Morgan, the authorized dealer here.
Super clean. No bubble. No serious crack on the front lip. You can contact me if you are interested. It is in CA.
Personal issue came up recently. I am considering keeping it but also open to negotiation.

Thanks,
Hyunsang

04Saleen281

Established Member
#253 here. Bought it in '14 with 4k miles- just turned 21k on it this month. Mine has the bubbles on the hood, of course. Otherwise, a clean bill of health. My family owns vintage Shelbys, Saleens, a Ford GT, etc., and by far the most fun anyone has is in my 00 R. I would recommend buying an unmolested version with the binder and associated paperwork!

Mwynn

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the information! I finally made a deal on a 00r, in transport now.

It does have a fuel cell leak when the tank is full. During pre-purchase inspection they noticed a small amount of fuel leaking from the top of the fuel cell. Is this where it leaks when the bladder goes bad? Or could it be a filler neck issue?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Congrats on scorning a 00R! We need some info! How many miles? PICTURES!

svtguy

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the information! I finally made a deal on a 00r, in transport now.

It does have a fuel cell leak when the tank is full. During pre-purchase inspection they noticed a small amount of fuel leaking from the top of the fuel cell. Is this where it leaks when the bladder goes bad? Or could it be a filler neck issue?

Yes, that is one of the places it leaks from. The fuel pump/sending unit is on top of the cell and the gaskets deteriorate and allow fuel to leak.

Paul.

Mwynn

Established Member
Thanks, I guess the fix is to drop the fuel cell and replace the gaskets and bladder if possible. The car has 2600 miles or so. All original except radiator cap.
IMG_7341.jpg
IMG_7341.jpg
photo_0-20170806-211006736.jpg

Attachments

• photo_0-20170806-211006736.jpg
    photo_0-20170806-211006736.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 87

Mwynn

Established Member
Now it's riding in some car hauler between CA and GA with a leaky fuel cell! Geez...

Users who are viewing this thread