New plugs for my procharged Mach 1

Ted B

Established Member
Hey most of the info i keep looking up is old, outdated, or part numbers are diff or wrong. I'm just looking for a recommendation for 1 step colder plugs for my D1SC procharged mach. I don't really care to much for brand as long as they run well and are vetted. Also a good gap would be nice as well as im having stalling and hesitation issues.

I've already fully checked the kit, as I had to replace one of the ATI idler pulleys so i ripped the whole system out and checked it, so i'm down to a few things that could be causing the issues.

Thanks

Mattstang04

Established Member
NGK TR6s are pretty popular with the supercharged crowd. They are a heat game colder and are dirt cheap. Border core , should change them every 25k to 30k miles.

I think mine are gapped to .035.

Blackedout

Established Member
NGK - BR7EF gapped at .024 @25+ boost

How much boost are you shooting for ?

Ted B

Established Member
it's a D1SC blower with a 4.15" pulley so 8lbs is where it should be, I'm really not going to push more than 450rwh until I get new rods and pistons, then ill probably up it to 12-14lbs.
right now I'm not even 100% sure what plugs are in there...they might be accel, or something, but i had to regap them because ATI says the plugs should be gapped at .32-.35, so i went with the latter. I think its safe to say I should just get rid of them all together and go with known stuff, I keep finding stuff not right with this kit, and have to replace it with good hardware, or make corrections to the install etc. After all this is done im most likely going to have to retune, or at the bare min bring it somewhere to check how its running.

@Mattstang04 it looks like the Tr6's have been superseded (they still seem to hold the 4177 designation tho), also a bunch of sites say they don't fit this vehicle? if you could be so kind as to link them on amazon...i have some gift cards left over :). If they're not aval on amazon anywhere that's got decent shipping will do.

are these the right ones?

Last edited:

Ted B

Established Member
@Blackedout

@25lbs....on a stock motor...with an F1A? am I reading that correctly? if so how have you not thrown a rod...or all of them simultaneously?

Blackedout

Established Member
@Blackedout

@25lbs....on a stock motor...with an F1A? am I reading that correctly? if so how have you not thrown a rod...or all of them simultaneously?

There are plenty out there running 25+ on stock motors with E85... FYI I’ve been told that the TR6 plugs should not be run in mod motors (they are an extended tip).... Yes I’ve run them now I run the BR 7’s.... Definitely takes patience with their kits..

Ted B

Established Member
@Blackedout that's knarly dude how my bald eagles are you pushing, and I though the stock mach black with its forged shaft was good to 500wrh before you start to stress the connecting rods and pistons? Well that being said, it sounds like The TR6 plugs are a good place for me to start, im going to gap them at .32, and hope it helps with my hesitation because its kinda bad, and I would like to get the car running smooth.

Blackedout

Established Member
St
@Blackedout that's knarly dude how my bald eagles are you pushing, and I though the stock mach black with its forged shaft was good to 500wrh before you start to stress the connecting rods and pistons? Well that being said, it sounds like The TR6 plugs are a good place for me to start, im going to gap them at .32, and hope it helps with my hesitation because its kinda bad, and I would like to get the car running smooth.

Stock cobra motor... needs more bald eagles ..was your car tuned already with the D1 ?? What fuel ? Injectors ? MAF ?

Ted B

Established Member
At this point all i know is that the procharger kit was sold in 2011, as a D1 upgrade, most likely went on 2 different cars as it was missing parts...looks like some were fabbed like the MAF inlet tube. It has the stock ford MAF with a Mafia on it so it doesn't ping being on the boost side. the injectors are unknown, and I highly doubt there was a fuel pump upgrade. I also have ZERO gauges in the car so i need Boost, Fuel pressure, and AF, but thats like a grand...money i dont have since i just dumped 4k into a new built tranny clutch and flywheel (rockland standard gear transzilla with all mcleod stuff (because the tr-3650 took a shit on 3rd and 4th gear).

I've been slowly moving through the car fixing the shit that isn't up to par one piece at at time as i can afford it. Id take used working gauges off someone if they had spares just so i had an idea how it was running. other then hesitation (thus the plug changes) it feels good, pulls hard at wot, but i'm still letting the clutch and flywheel settle so i've been gentile.

Also the hesitation i feel is only at partial throttle and will do it in any gear.

Users who are viewing this thread