New Pistons for the Coyote

DocB

Established Member
FYI, in case you are already in need of or will soon need new pistons, I found a set that will meet the most demanding of requirements.
As of now, these are probably the best available.
Something to consider.
P7303407Out2web.jpg

L&M Engines New Ford 5.0 Coyote Piston

In-house developed and engineered high strength pistons with the following custom specs to fit the Coyote 5.0:

.300+ thick piston crowns to withstand added combustion heat

.300” down top ring to reduce ring overheating

.130”+ skirt thickness for strength

Valve reliefs for performance cams

Engineering to keep the factory piston cooling nozzles, a valuable feature of the Coyote 5.0

Ceramic coated crown and Teflon coated skirt.

Compression 11-1 or 9.5-1 as standard, other compression ratios available.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Looks like a stock rod to me.....:shrug:

No need to get defensive.

BTW I have the low end manleys in my L just as many others do with absolutely no issues.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
So, you don't know a high quality rod when you see one and thought you'd just make something up, just because?

Whats your problem? Did I offend you in some way or are you just having a bad day?

Looks just like my stock L rods and stock 5.0 rods.....

EDIT

Ok Ill hand it to ya the one in this thread looks a bit beefier than stock ones but without them side by side and without the one in this thread being marked it would be hard to tell the difference. Also because this was a thread titled ''New Pistons for the Coyote'' I was unaware that they were aftermarket rods probably because they werent mentioned in the OP.

"Oliver"
P7303407Out2web.jpg

Stock
Picture052.jpg

Last edited:

AmnDucky

Established Member
So, you don't know a high quality rod when you see one and thought you'd just make something up, just because?

You're also assuming the rods are something special based on looks. He said nothing about the rods, not even if they're forged.

DocB

Established Member
chrisheltra,

Look at the product # for these pistons at Livernois.

LME50LCKIT. (L&M Engines 5.0L Coyote as designated by designer and Diamond).

These pistons have been painstakingly and time consumingly designed and engineered by Michael Rauscher at L&M engines. They are custom manufactured by Diamond to his specs to be used and sold by him at L&M Engines. They are in the same family, spec wise, like his other custom pistons. Check it out.

Two weeks after he engineers them and has them made for him by Diamond, the exact same piston pops up on the Livernois site. And even with the exact same L&M product number! How interesting.

You wouldn't buy a boost overlay from LFP now with the info that has come to light, so I would only suggest you consider the same here.

BTW- no direspect meant, but those rods are not even in the same league as the Oliver. Just sharing.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
chrisheltra,

These pistons have been painstakingly and time consumingly designed and engineered by Michael Rauscher at L&M engines. They are custom manufactured by Diamond to his specs to be used and sold by him at L&M Engines. They are in the same family, spec wise, like his other custom pistons. Check it out.

Two weeks after he engineers them and has them made for him by Diamond, the exact same piston pops up on the Livernois site. And even with the exact same L&M product number! How interesting.

You wouldn't buy a boost overlay from LFP now with the info that has come to light, so I would only suggest you consider the same here.

BTW- those rods are not even in the same league as the Oliver.

Thats been happening for years in the Lightning world as well as other circles Im sure. I even live down the street from a CNC shop that does a lot of heads for the aftermarket companies but I can go there with a set of heads and for a fraction of the price get the same thing that everybody else is getting and I can get it back in 2 days. Its just the nature of the business. Its hard to create something but very easy to duplicate it.

Bottom line if the quality is the same no matter where it is from Im going with the place thats cheapest.

AmnDucky

Established Member
chrisheltra,

BTW- no direspect meant, but those rods are not even in the same league as the Oliver. Just sharing.

We get it, they're made by diamond for L&M. Cool. Are we gonna get rod specs and prices?

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
DocB,

Where do you get this info? Are you assuming because it is the same part #?

L&M Engines doesnt make/build/design the following:

LMESBL30-2VBI
New - Livernois Motorsports - 2-Valve Modular 323ci Boss Big Bore Stroker Shortblock

LMECAMDPKIT
New - Livernois Motorsports - 2010 Camaro Dual Fuel Pump Assembly

LMEHEMIRCKRBAR
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=2041

I could list for days, Livernois parts that start with LME...

LME = Livernois MotorSports Engineering

LME50LCKIT = Livernois Motorsports Engineering 5.0 Low Compression Kit
LME50HCKIT = Livernois Motorsports Engineering 5.0 High Compression Kit

Here is a thread from Modular Revolution, about Livernois R&D on the Coyote.

http://www.modularrevolution.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18672&highlight=coyote

They have been using LME on their part #'s for years. I have a set of cams from them from 5 years ago that are "LME"

Also, I looked at L&M Engines site, they charge $1200 for a set of their Diamond pistons for modulars.... I am almost positive, Livernois could sell a custom piston, configured to the way you want it...WITH rings for under $1,000.

http://www.lmengines.com/products Their "SPECIAL" with rings...is over $1400....

Thats all.

Last edited:

AmnDucky

Established Member
DocB,

Where do you get this info? Are you assuming because it is the same part #?

L&M Engines doesnt make/build/design the following:

LMESBL30-2VBI
New - Livernois Motorsports - 2-Valve Modular 323ci Boss Big Bore Stroker Shortblock

LMECAMDPKIT
New - Livernois Motorsports - 2010 Camaro Dual Fuel Pump Assembly

LMEHEMIRCKRBAR
New - Livernois Motorsports - Livernois Motorsports Hemi Rocker Bar System

I could list for days, Livernois parts that start with LME...

LME = Livernois MotorSports Engineering

LME50LCKIT = Livernois Motorsports Engineering 5.0 Low Compression Kit
LME50HCKIT = Livernois Motorsports Engineering 5.0 High Compression Kit

Here is a thread from Modular Revolution, about Livernois R&D on the Coyote.

Livernois 5.0L Coyote Development Photos - Modular Revolution Forums

They have been using LME on their part #'s for years. I have a set of cams from them from 5 years ago that are "LME"

Also, I looked at L&M Engines site, they charge $1200 for a set of their Diamond pistons for modulars.... I am almost positive, Livernois could sell a custom piston, configured to the way you want it...WITH rings for under $1,000.

L&M Engines Their "SPECIAL" with rings...is over $1400....

Thats all.

And Livernois pistons are noticeably different. The oil holes around the base, the shape of the deck, all of it.

P7303407Out2web.jpg

pistonhigh1.jpg

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
DocB, kdanner.....are the pictures posted by DocB, the exact representation of the 5.0 Coyote pistons available from L&M?

If so, are you 2 blind? They don't even look remotely close in comparison...do they? That's alot of hate spewing from your keyboards.....

Gotta love the combination of know it alls, and the interwebs.

I don't expect a reply from either of you. As it is clear, what the actual situation is. As a matter of fact, I would be more inclined to believe the "proposed" situation would be reversed....

LOL

Last edited:

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
FYI, in case you are already in need of or will soon need new pistons, I found a set that will meet the most demanding of requirements.
As of now, these are probably the best available.
Something to consider.
P7303407Out2web.jpg

L&M Engines New Ford 5.0 Coyote Piston

In-house developed and engineered high strength pistons with the following custom specs to fit the Coyote 5.0:

.300+ thick piston crowns to withstand added combustion heat

.300” down top ring to reduce ring overheating

.130”+ skirt thickness for strength

Valve reliefs for performance cams

Engineering to keep the factory piston cooling nozzles, a valuable feature of the Coyote 5.0

Ceramic coated crown and Teflon coated skirt.

Compression 11-1 or 9.5-1 as standard, other compression ratios available.

Interesting, since I posted photos of our development engine in May and photos of the piston in June. Diamond hadn't seen a 5.0L piston until we sent them one and we have several "draft" pistons that were even much before that. I'll have Mike from engine build chime in Monday.

See my post here

We were also first to have a CNC head for these engines.

Thank you :beer:

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

DocB

Established Member
99atlbluegt, Livernois, and all,

Sorry for getting a little heavy on the keyboard.
Please accept my appologies.
Also, I am not a know it all. Far from it.

I am here to learn and share and I will keep that spirit in mind in the future.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Both probably fine pistons and rods. Oliver rods are pretty pricey though usually. It is fine multiple sources are available, keeps gouging down imo. But how many w run a 300 shot of nitrous needing oliver rods? I might think some turbo or s/c guy but need different pistons unless he's doing e85 or e98, or c16 or better. So imo very small market. Diamond and cp were or are one of the best in the 03 market. Yes shops can custom spec pistons for sure. Coatings etc. etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread