New Paint Job ???

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
I am considering a complete new paint job for the cobra. The current paint is absolute crap and although I have no problem taking the time to maintain a black car, sometimes I feel like I am just wasting my time as everytime I turn around, there are more chips and scratches than I can stand. You only have to look sideways at the car and the bees dick thin paint falls off!:gt:

So I tell myself, go and get a great show quality paint job done and I'll be happy. Its probably just a wild idea right now but it made me curious as to what it would cost and if anyone had any recommendations about really good paint shops in the So Cal area.

Of course I may just whine to the local dealer and try to get it resprayed but I've seen what their culpable of and that doesnt impress me either.

So, any suggestions?

KNGOBRA

Banned
I'm in the same boat as you are with my black beauty, but I wouldn't take it back to Ford...if they can't get it right the first time, what makes you think they'll get it right the second time and third time and the.......(you get the idea)!:(

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
i hear ya guys, it seems many cobra owners seem to ignore the problem when we speak out on this board, i've had my cobra since september , only has 2,700 miles and has chips and scratches all over it, i swear i can see it get scratched even when im using a 100 percent cotton towel, dont get me wrong i love this car so much, but for a 35 thousand dollar car i would think it would have some better quality to it, my side scoops fall off!!!! i have damn chips on the edge of my doors and i never hit the door against anything, how the heck do those get there??????

randy

Established Member
Aftermarket paintjobs chip easier than the factory ones. I don't care who you talk to. If you want to throw 5k plus into a "show quality" paint job, go ahead. You won't be any happier. I worked at a bodyshop and the owner had a 911 turbo that he painted. It got chipped all the time and he was always doin touchups.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Whatever happened to a nine-coat hand-rubbed lacquer paint job, followed by a hot cup polyurethane epoxy clearcoat? That stuff will not chip. I used to do this back in the 70's and didn't have paint problems (and we had more dirt and gravel roads then).

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I had the Hood completely re-painted right after I bought it due to dirt and stuff underneath the clearcoat by the dealer. They farmed it out to a local body shop. They did a bang up job at a reasonable price. Put a couple of extra clearcoats on it. My Hood looks much better than the rest of the car. They charged the dealer $600 just for the Hood. Since then, I've gone back to that body shop to get an estimate. $4000 for a complete re-do. While I was there they were painting Ghost Flames on a Black Grand National. Very nice quality. You could only see them when the sun hit it just right. $1500 additional. $750 if I get it done at the same time. I'm considering it. His clearcoat paint jobs scratch alot less than the factory paint job.

rskdsk

Established Member
Ford has my car right now ... For a number of things. One of those things is why after 1200 miles do I have a number of chips on the front of my car? The answer is cheap factory paint! I will force ford into fixing my paint ... through the dealer. The dealer will do a much better job than the robots at Ford, and the dealer can be influenced to use more paint and clear coat! MAKE sure you have the chips documented at Ford, and even if you do not want a new paint job now, this documentation may come in handy when you finally have had enough of the chipping!

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
I had to take the car in 3 times to get a mirror repainted correctly.
:bash:
I guess my confidence in taking to the dealer is not very high but it may be worth a try the first time.

Im still interested in the option of getting it re-done by someone else, anyone in Socal have any recimmendations?

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
Originally posted by randy
Aftermarket paintjobs chip easier than the factory ones. I don't care who you talk to.

I really disagree with this comment....
My step dad did paint and body, and a couple of friends of mine work/own paint/body shops....

If you know what you're doing, their is NO way a factory paint job is gonig to be harder to chip then an aftermarket...unless you just go bottom of the barrel..."Better get Maco" or something...

bborder

Established Member
Prestige Coach Craft in Marina Del Rey. 310-305-1777. I've known the owners for years and would highly recommend them. They just repainted my entire car. Came out perfect.

SStupid

Established Member
Never

Never have a car repainted. You can ALWAYS tell. Overspray here, overspray there. Bodyshops try their hardest (or, at least some do) but it just difficult to make it look factory. 5K is a grossly underated price for a high-quality paint job. You're looking more around 8K or so for show quality.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
isnt it sick that we would even discuss repainting a 2003 cobra, this shouldnt even be a topic if ford would just do it right the first time

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
All I know is that my Black 1995 GT never had this problem. Any scratches I got were usually easily buffed out. Maybe it's the new Eco friendly paint that they are required to use now.

Trader

Established Member
Get it painted sunset orange metalic. If i get mione repainted that is the color. Or i am just going to get some flames on it.

Users who are viewing this thread