New Owner, Some questions

serper3

Established Member
Hey guys! I just bought a black 2003 cobra with bolt ons that are in my sig. First off, this is the third mustang i have owned, (keep upgrading :)) but i love this car, it is a blast to drive and it is fast! i can keep going on and on about whats soo cool about it... I have some questions though that hopefully you guys can help me out with...

1. belt slip, vs wheel hop vs just loosing traction and peeling out:
Today coming home on the freeway, i pinned it at about 2k in 3rd gear... at around about 3.5k rpm and 80mph, it began to kind of skip and what seemed to me like the car would loose traction momentarily and then it would gain traction again this happened several times and i let off before 4.5k or so. could this be belt slip? or wheel hop? i didnt notice any noise difference coming from the blower i dont think.. sorry for being such a newb guys.. btw i have potenza re760;s in the stock size in the back... but would dr help this? if its traction related it would i am assuming.. friends of mine have other turbo cars, and they loose traction pretty violently when they hit boost usually at lower speeds. this makes sense because boost comes on quick.. here when i get on it, i am not really to used to the car, so i have just been rolling into it from a lower rpm... anyway, can you guys straighten me out here?

2. does anyone have and can post or have seen a table that shows each gear and its respective speed and rpm?

3. i have seen on here that people trying to get better gas mileage will shift at 2k rpm. this is more or less comfortable and reasonable. my question however, is what about cruising in the city at speeds below 50mph or so? what is a good rpm to shoot to be below for just cruising? around 1500 rpm is ok to be at? i have seen ls1;s cruising at like 1200 rpm lol...

4. do you guys think its necessary to warm the car up before driving it? if so for how long? i noticed today, it took the car probably 7 mins of driving to get it to operating temps.. maybe the car has other mods i am not aware of because the previous owner (i am the second owner) might have forgeten some mods he had done. he had done all the mods 2+ years ago and he hasnt been keeping up with cars much..

5. i need a front license plate bracket.. i saw the website that comes up from google, but looks like they do the 05+ cars only... i dont want to drill the bumper obviously but any reccomendations for what to do and how and were to mount this thing?

6. my last mustang was pretty loud and this one is probably even louder.. i love the way it sounds though.. i suppose keeping my foot off it it is not too loud, but i am just wondering are there any other performance cat backs that are quieter? i really dont want to be messed with by the cops, otherwise i would make it louder lol.. how about cut outs? people do this? seems like it would be best of both worlds and i have seen brands that are guaranteed for 4 years or so..

i will probably have more questions soon, but thanks alot guys and i really appreciate your help sorry for writing the novel...

mysterio

Established Member
As far as a front plate bracket goes, search for TORQJNKY here on this site. He makes a great, no-drill front bracket that most people (me included) seem happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread