New Orleans trip - any tips?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Heading to New Orleans for a few days to do some eating and drinking. I will be staying in the French Quarter. Any worthwhile tours or things to see? Places to avoid, things to look out for, etc?

I've already been told to check out Commander's Palace, Acme Oysters, Mothers, Palace Cafe, and Pat Obrien's.

Thanks for any info.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
go to a Pelicans game.. you can get tickets between $40-65 for lower level seats.. i personally wouldnt be in the quarter after 7:00pm, but then again i dont enjoy being mugged.. you can basically walk around the warehouse district on the weekends, and shop the local stores safely.. Lucy's is a nice sports bar/restaurant..

Korican

Newb
Established Member
Heading to New Orleans for a few days to do some eating and drinking. I will be staying in the French Quarter. Any worthwhile tours or things to see? Places to avoid, things to look out for, etc?

I've already been told to check out Commander's Palace, Acme Oysters, Mothers, Palace Cafe, and Pat Obrien's.

Thanks for any info.

I went for a couple days last year when the Falcons played the Saints. I stayed at a great bed and breakfast called...

http://www.ashtonsbb.com

Also their breakfast is pretty darn good.

Now places to avoid well be careful just about anywhere you go because there are lots of folks kinda just around.

However just driving or walking around was great. Even the old crappy houses have their own unique look to them.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
go to a Pelicans game.. you can get tickets between $40-65 for lower level seats.. i personally wouldnt be in the quarter after 7:00pm, but then again i dont enjoy being mugged.. you can basically walk around the warehouse district on the weekends, and shop the local stores safely.. Lucy's is a nice sports bar/restaurant..

I took my first and last trip to New Orleans a few weeks ago. The place is like a dirty(er) vegas.

Is it that bad? I have two female friends that went this year and raved about it. Both stayed in the Quarter.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
For sure hit Cafe Dumonde one morning.
Mothers? I could take it or leave it.
There are food places and bars on every damn block.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
-Tchoup Yard
-Columns Hotel for a Sazerac and Julep
-Kingfisher for a quick cocktail
-Josephine Estelles....amazing food. Are there the other day...holy smokes
-Erin Rose/Killer Poboys

Enjoy working off your 10lbs you gained while there....I always do.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is it that bad? I have two female friends that went this year and raved about it. Both stayed in the Quarter.

Bring a breathing mask. The bar district smells like piss, stale beer, and vomit. Don't take your kids around there at night, either. Lots of open faced strip clubs and strippers hanging outside trying to entice customers into the bars. I didn't mind it at all, but I certainly wouldn't want young kids there. And there were some people walking around the district with their little ones. :nonono:

Cafe Dumonde for their chicory coffee and binets. both are amazing
http://www.cafedumonde.com/

Meh. They don't really live up to the hype, IMO. And you can get their begnet mix at your local grocery store.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Meh. They don't really live up to the hype, IMO. And you can get their begnet mix at your local grocery store.

Seriously? The beignets are great. I get them at a minimum monthly.

OP For reasonably priced seafood you can go to Bucktown and go to Deanie's seafood. The 1/2 platter will feed atleast 2 people. Actually they have on in the 1/4 area on Iberville. http://www.deanies.com/

Also if you head to Metairie, you can go to Bobby Hebert's Cajun Cannon restaurant. Food is really good, being a home town brat I get the simple but great red beans and rice with a fried chicken breast. They have great drinks also.
http://www.bobbyheberts.com/Home

Commander's you'll need a reservation so book it soon. You can also go try Redfish grill which is on the far end of Bourbon.

I saw you have ACME oyster house on your list. If you're looking for charbroiled oysters skip them and take a cab to Fat City and eat at Drago's. You'll thank me. http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/

I always recommend a trip across the lake to the north shore and tour the Abita Brewery.
https://abita.com/
BTW, when are you coming to town?

Last edited:

jesus_ralliart

Established Member
I've been to New Orleans a couple of times now. To the guy talking about strippers enticing ppl into the bars... you haven't been to New Orleans since the hurricane/gentrification.

Walking around the quarter after 7 ? No problem. In fact, I've walked around well after that with my wife and best friend who lives there.

Just know this: muggers can spot a drunk tourist from a mile away so don't look like one and you'll be fine.

Some of the key points have been mentioned as "to dos"

Also:
Take a steam boat ride
Cemetery tours(they bury ppl differently there and it's fun history)
Ghost tours
Any bar on Frenchmen st. that plays jazz)ask waitress for true New Orleanean drink and chill/listen to some fine music)
Po-boys and jambalaya. I like Melba's in the hood part of New Orleans... I don't mind black ppl and great food though.

Also, Jackson square is fun to walk around/check out art and maybe buy some

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Try and get some photos of the abandoned Six Flags or get really ballsy and sneak inside.

Did you see the episode of Abandoned on this? It was pretty neat.

OP I went with my wife back when OSU played Arkansas there. It was a good time in the french quarter you also will gain like 10lbs with the food too.

budman5023

Established Member
Don't forget Masquerades and The Boardwalk. If you have kids, they have a huge animal reserve on the northshore. Zebras and gazelles and the alike. Aquarium of the Americas and the Audubon Zoo.

Users who are viewing this thread