New NHRA rules

13BlackGT

Established Member
I am confused about the seat belt part of the 2008 and newer cars to 10.0@135. Some tracks have been wanting harness even without the rollbar. It looked like the new change for modified cars says all oem safety equipment must be functioning. That seems like oem belts not harness

Roush TVS, 79 mm pulley, E85

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
It's for stock '08 and newer cars. Not modified.
It's also the tracks decision on whether or not to let you run if they dont want to take on that risk. Many dont like that, but that's how it usually goes.

Jdm351

Established Member
It's also the tracks decision on whether or not to let you run if they dont want to take on that risk. Many dont like that, but that's how it usually goes.
This rule is now changed as of this week. ‘08 and newer on a DOT tire which is street legal in the state of register and has active ABS can now be modified and still run down to 9.99 and 135mph.

sleek98

Established Member

They pulled the unmodified part of the rule, but as the above poster said the abs and air bags have to work, as well as being on a DOT tire.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Well, I stand corrected. The whole reason for less safety requirements is due to the 1700 air bags in newer cars as well as other safety improvements. I would still rather have a bar for track use, but that isn't the necessity.
I still see tracks being able to make safety determinations on their own.

cammed 2v gt

Established Member
This rule is now changed as of this week. ‘08 and newer on a DOT tire which is street legal in the state of register and has active ABS can now be modified and still run down to 9.99 and 135mph.

Do you have a link to the new rule?

Update: I was able to find it for anyone that wants to see it

View attachment 1518413
'14 Grabber Blue GT
Stock + drag radial
12.60@114

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

well, guess I have no choice but to buy an 18 GT now lol

Users who are viewing this thread