New Motor Break In and Oil Recommendations

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I can't believe I haven't participated in this sub forum before. There is some great info in here!

I have a 2003 Cobra that just got a new engine build:
5.0 Boss Block
Custom Diamond Pistons
Total Seal AP Steel Rings
Custom Cams
Kenne Bell 2.8LC
Non-E-85
Will see 15-17 lbs boost for a while, then upwards of 25+ at the track

Toy car, weekend toy with plenty of track duty. Might see some cold weather driving in Maryland.

Also have a 4R70W auto trans and solid axle.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to break the motor in (oil+filter+additives), recommended oil and filter with oil change interval, trans and rear diff fluid?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Droppintwins

Established Member
I would start with 5w-30 joe gibbs break in oil available at summit racing for about $9 a quart. This is what Livernois motorsports recommended for my new engine. Run that about a 1/2 hour on initial engine startup. Then drain that and run a good non-synthetic oil (with a additive if preferred) for they next 1500-2000 miles to get everything broke in well. Then you can switch over to a quality synthetic for the rest of the life of the engine.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Thanks. I'll definitely be talking with the engine builder, just trying to get a feel for what you guys recommended. Any advice for the 4R70W?

SDBs13GT500

Established Member

TRBO VNM

Jack,

I always go with the builder. May be good info here, but in the end, if there is an issue with the motor, following the builders recommendation is better imo. That said, the last motor I got from Mike came with a case of Joe Gibbs break in oil, so I think I still have 6qt left of that. We can use that if you want. But I would call mike. I can tell you generally from him, it's start it, heat cycle a few times to confirm fluid levels, oil change and then let it rip.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Thanks Jason. As much money as I spent with Michael, you know I'll be checking with him. He told me back when I picked the engine up how to break it in and it sounds just like what you mentioned. No pussy-footing with those rings.

Users who are viewing this thread