New member< S/C Question

snake6026

Established Member
Hi,everyone! I'm new to the site and the 32V motor(used to think 302's were the only way to go) and have a couple questions. I've just acquired a 97 cobra w/ 90k on the odometer. The motor is in good shape and has good compression and oil pressure. My question is..... I'm feeling the need for forced induction. Which blower does everyone recommend? Vortech or ATI? And should I wait until after a rebuild, seeing how the motor does have 90k? Will the stock internals hold up for long @90k and 8-10psi? Everyones input is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. The car is stock exept for 4.10's,o/r h-pipe,Pro 5.0,springs and struts and a few other minor mods.:coolman:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by snake6026
Hi,everyone! I'm new to the site and the 32V motor(used to think 302's were the only way to go) and have a couple questions. I've just acquired a 97 cobra w/ 90k on the odometer. The motor is in good shape and has good compression and oil pressure. My question is..... I'm feeling the need for forced induction. Which blower does everyone recommend? Vortech or ATI? And should I wait until after a rebuild, seeing how the motor does have 90k? Will the stock internals hold up for long @90k and 8-10psi? Everyones input is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. The car is stock exept for 4.10's,o/r h-pipe,Pro 5.0,springs and struts and a few other minor mods.:coolman:

I would save for the rebuild personally and get that done first. However, if you just can't wait I would have to say that Procharger is the way to go because of the intercooler to help with keeping it safe.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The motor has a good crank. The rods aren't horrible, just the rod bolts. The pistons aren't great either. They're prone to breaking the top ringland under boost. Mostly due to aggressive tuning, but they are still weak. A good forged piston and rod kit won't break the bank too bad. Around 1400.00 with good bearings and bolts included. Labor is depending on your area, which is almost never cheap. ;-) However, I'd go ahead and prepare the motor first. If you SC first, it might break under boost given the mileage. Then there might be allot more needed than just pistons and rods.

1BadAzzGT

Established Member
If you're even remotely considering putting a blower on that current engine, ensure you do a complete leakdown and compression test before hand. That will save you a lot of time.

snake6026

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait till after a rebuild. Can anyone suggest a good bottom end kit? SHM? Modmax? :beer:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Either one is very good. It comes down to price and what all is included in the kits.

Remember you want GOOD PISTONS, RINGS, CONNECTING RODS, BEARINGS, GASKETS and all necessary BOLTS.

Users who are viewing this thread