New Mattress

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
The misses and I are starting the elongated process of shopping for mattresses. I have been fighting a back injury for the last 8 years and majority of that lies in my lower back. Additionally, when I get muscle tightness in my back it's worse between my shoulder blades.

I see a chiropractor regularly and they recommended a Saavta Mattress which is an online company that delivers directly to my door. We can get into the Saavta for $2,498 with a split mattress (firmness split for my wife and I) and an adjustable frame. The Chiro has changed over all of the mattresses in their homes to this one and haven't looked back.

Of course I'm also willing to consider other makers as long as it's not a memory foam mattress. Obviously, Tempur-Pedic has come up in conversation but we are yet to lay or go look at one. I'm looking for recommendations from those who have recently went through this process and what you ended up buying. Thanks in advance.

Machdup1

Established Member
I just went to several mattress stores and laid on the Plush mattresses until I found one I liked.

I even went to the Sleep Number store. Sleep number was nice, but $10k for a bed just didn't sit right.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I paid 1k for my sleep number 12 years ago. Very nice bed. Replaced my controller and air units once when they started leaking. However I had other issues within 5 years and I was responsible to pay to make the bed work right again.

I did not like this at all since they boast of beds lasting 20 years. $300 to fix my bed or $400 for new memory foam from Costco. I chose the latter. Could not be happier:))

For the OP:
Casper, Denver Matress, Helix, along with others all make a great mattress for less than 1k. Helix you can build to specs like the company your dr recommended, but for less money. Check them out and the reviews.

A friend has a Casper and swears by it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Tempur-Pedic owner here. I have the Traditional King size mattress. I slept on a king pillow top Simmons beauty rest prior to that.

Ive had my mattress for 4 years now and STILL feels wonderful and fully supports me. By year 3, my old pillow top was decent but I was waking up randomly with aches and pains.

25 year warranty on the Tempur-Pedic as well!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
We have a Saatva and can attest to its comfort and support. However, we only paid about $1,500 for a king without a foundation. How was the OP's mattress over $2,400?

Hope you enjoy it. Definitely worth it.

einehund

Established Member
Why not memory foam? I switched from a pillow top that served it's purpose for years but had started to sag with a memory foam mattress and could not be happier. Had the memory foam for 3 years now and no hint of sagging and still feels like the day I bought it.
I did have to try multiple mattresses to find the one that wasn't too hard or soft.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We have a Saatva and can attest to its comfort and support. However, we only paid about $1,500 for a king without a foundation. How was the OP's mattress over $2,400?

I had never heard of Saatva. We're in desperate need of a new mattress and after seeing your post and checking their website, I'm interested. Choosing a mattress can be maddening for sure.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member

It's $2400 with the adjustable base. $1300 for just the mattress.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Why not memory foam? I switched from a pillow top that served it's purpose for years but had started to sag with a memory foam mattress and could not be happier. Had the memory foam for 3 years now and no hint of sagging and still feels like the day I bought it.
I did have to try multiple mattresses to find the one that wasn't too hard or soft.

It doesn't provide support needed for my back. More specifically when I am on my side while sleeping. And I'm only speaking of full memory foam toppers and mattresses.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Memory foam doesn't really offer real support. It masks it with a cushy feeling allowing your spine to move into positions it shouldn't be in. Sure, it feels good now, but, you will most likely feel the results years and years later from lack of support.

@VENOM1 Got it, just saw that. The delivery guys will probably be idiots, but, Saatva has great customer service all around. It's a great mattress.

hockeylover86

Established Member
I recommend natural latex, I think its much better than memory foam and will not sag over time. Plus you can customize/build the layers how you want, and change them over time if you want it firmer or softer. I have one and love it.

Check out sleepez website for information.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Tempur-Pedic. Best $2500 I have spent. I have the cloud.

Go try them all & pick the one that best suits you.

/thread

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Memory foam doesn't really offer real support. It masks it with a cushy feeling allowing your spine to move into positions it shouldn't be in. Sure, it feels good now, but, you will most likely feel the results years and years later from lack of support.
I have a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and I love it, I have never slept as well. My Chiropractor also uses a Tempurpedic and I take that to mean quite a bit considering his approach to overall health. I leave you to draw your own conclusions though.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I have a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe and I love it, I have never slept as well. My Chiropractor also uses a Tempurpedic and I take that to mean quite a bit considering his approach to overall health. I leave you to draw your own conclusions though.

Everyone has a different opinion.

As a laborer myself that works in and out of a warehouse among many other things that goes to a chiropractor 2-3 times a month, I cannot sleep on memory foam or a bed where your body just sinks into it. I did and would wake up in agonizing pain in my sensitive areas of my neck and back.

Interesting that my chiropractor who is nearing 70 and has been in the business for over 45 years has suggested to his patients to get a firm enough mattress where you keep your spine aligned and not at a curved angle of any sort. When you sleep in a matter where your spine is at any type of angle it can lead to future issues such as lower back problems and other complications.

Some beds work for some people. Some have worse back/neck issues than other. Others simply need something plush and extremely supportive to be comfortable.

I'll leave this for you to draw your own conclusions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It can be really tough to settle on a mattress when there are SO many options. Too many, in fact. And sometimes the mattress you select may not end up being what you really need, support and overall comfort wise, way beyond the 30 day trial. The absolute best mattress my wife and I slept on was at a hotel in Kennebunkport, ME.

quikstang90

Established Member
I have a firm tempur pedic king size as well, best investment i have ever made! I have chronic lower back pain.... thanks to years of service in the military. Before I bought my tempur pedic, me and the mrs bought a serta pillow top and another traditional spring matress... and there were mornings i would wake up to go to work,and she would literally have to push me out of bed my back hurt so bad, couldnt really so much. Fast forward a few years when we brought the tempur pedic home and my back hasnt felt this much relief since before i hurt it! And that is including the custom insoles, home tens machine, and capcaisin creme i was given. I will agree with the above comment on it having to be firm. I believe ours is the contour series. Medium firm

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We got a mattress last year. I was thinking around a budget of $8-900 and we would be done. Long story short, ours was $5k. We chose a returned mattress in the companies warehouse with less than 60-90 days of use on it for less than $3k with the normal 10 year warranty. So shop around and see it you can find a returned model if the one yall want is too much. Dont cheap out on a mattress.

Users who are viewing this thread