New Massachusetts Inspection Program

M91196

Established Member
They are required to take pictures of the brakes on commercial vehicles. I hope to see a mass revolt coming.
Another step backwards in supporting businesses, particularly smaller/family owned.
Enough is enough.

What are they gonna take a picture of the slack adjuster pointer?

This is pretty hilarious, especially since the overwhelming majority of accidents have nothing to do with defective equipment.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not trying to be a dick here, but I highly doubt you guys are going to get away with the super dark tint.
The place that did your inspection as well as the inspection person themself will get into trouble, and I don't think that they're going to let that happen to themselves. Like I said, they have to take photos of your vehicle now. From the front and the rear. Plus, video cameras will show super dark windows. Plus, photos of the VIN on the door jamb and scan the door jamb. Among other stupid crap.

Just giving you guys a heads up. I saw the checklist firsthand and my friend whom does the inspections told me himself as he was going through screen by screen.
It sucks, I absolutely hate it!! As does he.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
From the Boston Globe, October 2, 2017:
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles announced Monday that its updated public motor vehicle testing inspection system is operational throughout the state.

All service stations that installed the new “state-of-the-art testing equipment” are now conducting public vehicle inspections on the new system, the RMV said.

New still-photograph cameras, wireless testing equipment, improved workstations, sticker technology that prevents fraud, and tablets that RMV staff use for real-time reporting on station and inspector compliance area are all components of the “enhanced” Massachusetts Vehicle Check Program, the RMV said. The use of video cameras will also be integrated into inspections in January.

And while the testing equipment has been updated, the safety and emissions inspection process and vehicle requirements have not changed.

“The Registry of Motor Vehicles is pleased to implement key upgrades to the Auto Emissions and Safety Inspection Program,” Registrar of Motor Vehicles Erin Deveney said in a statement. “The purpose of the inspection program technology including the introduction of cameras is to further ensure that only safe, non-polluting vehicles are on Massachusetts roadways. Motorists will not be impacted by the changes to the inspection process, as the items on a personal vehicle checked now are the same items checked by inspectors prior to October 1.”

Service stations will now use cameras to ensure accurate inspections, document the status of vehicles being inspected, and allow for video conferencing for inspectors if they need technical support, the RMV said. Vehicles arriving for inspection will have photographs taken of their VIN, odometer, front license plate, and back license plate. Staff members conducting the inspection will also be photographed.

“The inspection network is up and running” as of Monday afternoon, MassDOT spokeswoman Jacquline Goddard said in an email. And, while some service station owners requested help with the sticker printing process on the new system Monday, “they are being helped over the phone,” Goddard said.

The new cameras and updated equipment cost service stations $5,810 per workstation. For stations offering heavy duty vehicle inspections, the cost is $8,141.94 per workstation, the RMV said.

The program updates come as the state transitions to a new system vendor, Applus Technologies, after the previous contract for Parsons Technology expired at the end of September.

The Vehicle Check Program is funded by a $35 fee paid by vehicle owners at the time of inspection, around $23 of which is kept by the service stations conducting inspections. The remainder of the fee covers additional program costs.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Service stations will now use cameras to ensure accurate inspections, document the status of vehicles being inspected, and allow for video conferencing for inspectors if they need technical support, the RMV said. Vehicles arriving for inspection will have photographs taken of their VIN, odometer, front license plate, and back license plate. Staff members conducting the inspection will also be photographed.
Yup, just as posted back earlier this month. My buddy showed me the whole process when he was inspecting my truck.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Yup, just as posted back earlier this month. My buddy showed me the whole process when he was inspecting my truck.

This process seems so freakin' Draconian, you gotta wonder WHY they are going down this path, when some other states (Red states, of course) are actually eliminating the whole Inspection thing? I wonder if there's a 'valid' reason, or is it all about control and money????

M91196

Established Member
This process seems so freakin' Draconian, you gotta wonder WHY they are going down this path, when some other states (Red states, of course) are actually eliminating the whole Inspection thing? I wonder if there's a 'valid' reason, or is it all about control and money????
It’s all about phony feel good bull shit and patronage and payoffs to the companies providing the equipment and services.

If you are old enough to remember the Registry Police and Turnpike Authority you’ll recall they are bloated patronage agencies providing nothing more than BS jobs and very little for the citizens.

Same with any company that wins a contract for some of these BS requirements.

MA already uses the stricter emissions standard of CA so tell me the number of cars they are targeting that pollute and do the math for money welll spent, it’s a joke.

The landscaper that mows the baseball field emits more crap from his lawnmower leaf blower and weedwacker than 25 new cars....

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree about it being draconian. It's an over reach in my opinion.

It’s all about phony feel good bull shit and patronage and payoffs to the companies providing the equipment and services.
^^Bingo!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
This is what I would do when pulled over by Mass’s finest. The looks I would get when it was February and 15F were priceless.
Everytime I pass an officer my windows go down. I drive a convertible, so luckily all 4 windows drop.

Someone needs to explain to me why my truck can have the rear windows painted black, but the front two need to be 35%. On a car, all of the windows need to be 35%.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Someone needs to explain to me why my truck can have the rear windows painted black, but the front two need to be 35%. On a car, all of the windows need to be 35%.
Good question. I don't know that is as well?

KBR

Established Member
Do you guys think I have to put all stuff back factory to get an Mass inspection sticker?

I bought an 04 Redfire convertible today. It came with smaller pulley, cold air box, SCT X3 #3000 handheld(says tune 1.2.1) and Magnaflow cat back. Flew up and drove the car 7 hours home from Northern Maine. Luckily all the snow was frozen due to the extreme cold and there was very little road spray. The previous owner said they don't have to pass emission there.

Plugged the SCT tuner into the computer and all the numbers were blank, and cannot update. I can probably put my car back to stock okay, but if SCT has to wipe the devise I will lose the tune. Wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but the car is running great. This just happened to me in May with my last car on another X3. Lost a really good tune and was not able to recover it.

I'm not sure I have the tools to put the stock pulley back on. There is a local shop that I think can help me. Dyno Pete is out of the question for now weather is not conducive to making the drive.
new car 2 editeda.jpg

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Do you guys think I have to put all stuff back factory to get an Mass inspection sticker?

I bought an 04 Redfire convertible today. It came with smaller pulley, cold air box, SCT X3 #3000 handheld(says tune 1.2.1) and Magnaflow cat back. Flew up and drove the car 7 hours home from Northern Maine. Luckily all the snow was frozen due to the extreme cold and there was very little road spray. The previous owner said they don't have to pass emission there.

Plugged the SCT tuner into the computer and all the numbers were blank, and cannot update. I can probably put my car back to stock okay, but if SCT has to wipe the devise I will lose the tune. Wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but the car is running great. This just happened to me in May with my last car on another X3. Lost a really good tune and was not able to recover it.

I'm not sure I have the tools to put the stock pulley back on. There is a local shop that I think can help me. Dyno Pete is out of the question for now weather is not conducive to making the drive.View attachment 1454249

if your car has the factory mid pipe (catalytic converters) then im sure youll be fine. they just want to make sure youre following emissions. my car had a catless mid pipe and a Lund email tune loaded and i failed. (which i somewhat expected) so i put my stock CATs back on and flashed back to the catted tune. (sensors reading 'Ready') so i should pass the OBD2 as well as visual inspection. After i get the sticker ill address it how i see fit.

Short answer: sounds like youre good to go, until you decide to get rid of your CATs....if you do.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member

I'm not sure I have the tools to put the stock pulley back on. There is a local shop that I think can help me. Dyno Pete is out of the question for now weather is not conducive to making the drive.View attachment 1454249
My recommendation would be to take it to Pete at Performance Dyno in NH (when the weather gets better). Much worth the drive to check the tune and make sure your monitors are up to date. If you are running the factory midpipe you should be fine I would imagine. Only thing that may trip you up is monitors being disabled for emissions if the previous tune had them disabled. 2018 will be the last year for emissions for a car from 03 and 2019 for 04. But I mean if the car is gonna sit all winter, I wouldn't about a sticker now. Just wait out the winter and figure stuff out in the spring.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully your car passes, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is NOT ready to pass emissions.
If it was built in a state that doesn't have emissions and "usually" most tuners turn off the O2 sensors. I know that VMP doesn't violate any emissions laws when they do tune/builds. I remember reading posts on here and on other Mustang forums where people were having issues passing because of their tunes.
Good luck and let us know how you make out!

KBR

Established Member

Got a code reader...O2/cat sensors were shut off in tune....put back to stock and have been driving like a grandma...120 miles so far...cat and evap codes still not ready...if we don't get snow i'll hopefully drive enough to get a sticker Tuesday

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Got a code reader...O2/cat sensors were shut off in tune....put back to stock and have been driving like a grandma...120 miles so far...cat and evap codes still not ready...if we don't get snow i'll hopefully drive enough to get a sticker Tuesday

Drive it around 50-55mph, this is optimum to run the cats and o2 sensors, this is how I set monitors on Toyota’s, also I have got my car to set back when it mattered for me. You also are allowed 1 monitor to be not ready as long as it’s supported

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member

Monitors should easily be reading ready, assuming tune is good. That's way too many miles. You're not completing the "drive cycle". I went thru this same BS earlier this year and after getting new tune from Pete in NH, I used this Ford drive cycle and my monitors were all ready in about 20 miles: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html .

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If worse comes to worse, go see Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread