New job advice

VegasMichael

Established Member
Next May I'm retiring from public education after 30 years in the classroom. I've enjoyed my career immensely but these days I am the polar opposite of what public education wants and stands for. I'm not ready to be "retired" in the traditional sense and still want to have earned income even though my pension is enough to live comfortably on. It seems like a good time for me to be leaving since there is a wealth of opportunity out there these days. Employers just can't seem to find people.

Anyway, I was looking for some advice from those on here in other fields. What jobs do you see as a great place to be in? Which are the absolute dregs and should be avoided? I should say I'm not going back to school to get another degree in anything. No way, no how. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but should state I don't really have any credentials in any other fields other than education and restaurant work. I am willing to learn though.

Thoughts?

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
There are a lot of education based roles that are outside of teaching. Every company that sells books and materials to schools needs employees. Online colleges allow you to teach web based gen-ed’s (for profit schools) with a bachelors degree. Outside of education and paired with your bachelors degree there’s a number of options. I’d encourage you to give A LOT of thought to what you WANT to do and chase that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adower

Established Member
Next May I'm retiring from public education after 30 years in the classroom. I've enjoyed my career immensely but these days I am the polar opposite of what public education wants and stands for. I'm not ready to be "retired" in the traditional sense and still want to have earned income even though my pension is enough to live comfortably on. It seems like a good time for me to be leaving since there is a wealth of opportunity out there these days. Employers just can't seem to find people.

Anyway, I was looking for some advice from those on here in other fields. What jobs do you see as a great place to be in? Which are the absolute dregs and should be avoided? I should say I'm not going back to school to get another degree in anything. No way, no how. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but should state I don't really have any credentials in any other fields other than education and restaurant work. I am willing to learn though.

Thoughts?
How are you with your hands? Maybe try to jump into real estate? Find some cheap property and do the work yourself.

cobracide

Established Member
Since you don't need the money, take a break and relax. Cultivate hobbies and maybe develop one of those into a job if you really want to. If it's not something you enjoy and you don't need the cash I don't see the point. Some time off may give you a better perspective. Don't be in such a hurry to work forever.

sleek98

Established Member
Equals babysitting and listening to everyone else’s problems.

Go sell cars for nick @13COBRA

Along those lines, there are a couple retired gentlemen that deliver cars for dealerships that are friends of my uncles, they get paid decent and get to spend a lot of time driving. Idk how common that is now with the car shortage going on.

My wife’s uncle drives the bus for a local nursing home. He takes the old people to Walmart/target/doctor offices drops them off and picks them up an hour or whatever later.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Equals babysitting and listening to everyone else’s problems.

Go sell cars for nick @13COBRA

I must be doing it wrong then. It is a lucrative part of my business. I have never met nor discussed anything with one of my customers (only his secretary). Just visit everyday and get people to fix it if it breaks. Owner prior maybe called once a week for 15 minutes. Other properties are similar. It is the easy money as long as you show up and have good subs.

BTW. These are multi million dollar properties commercial and residential/estates total around 40 million.

People with real money don't badger me because I get shit done

4.698gt

Established Member
Assuming automotive is still a hobby, take up a few days a week delivering for a mom and pop auto shop

noco5.0

Established Member
I have a friend who just retired pretty young and drives an airport parking lot shuttle. He's a social guy so likes dealing with people. Works three days a week, gets some exercise, and makes pretty decent money in tips.

VegasMichael

Established Member
just out of curiousity, dont you just want to have some time to do absolutely nothing? that's what i did since i retired. i love not needing to do shit or having to be anywhere. but, then again, i'm a lazy ****.
That's the crux of being a public educator. I have a lot of vacation time to do nothing.
Since you don't need the money, take a break and relax. Cultivate hobbies and maybe develop one of those into a job if you really want to. If it's not something you enjoy and you don't need the cash I don't see the point. Some time off may give you a better perspective. Don't be in such a hurry to work forever.
I have lots of time off with my current career. I honestly don't have a problem with working forever. To each his own, I guess.
Along those lines, there are a couple retired gentlemen that deliver cars for dealerships that are friends of my uncles, they get paid decent and get to spend a lot of time driving. Idk how common that is now with the car shortage going on.

My wife’s uncle drives the bus for a local nursing home. He takes the old people to Walmart/target/doctor offices drops them off and picks them up an hour or whatever later.
You know you brought up an interesting point. I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car in the Philadelphia area and we had drivers who delivered cars to various parts of the tri-state area. It's on my list of possibilities.
Assuming automotive is still a hobby, take up a few days a week delivering for a mom and pop auto shop
I am seriously considering being a driver in some capacity.

My94GT

Established Member
I’m in collision repair. It’s a field in desperate need of techs, abs office staff. Fast track to money these days is actually becoming and estimator and if you want to go up from there work the management chain.

Have a few years to burn and like turning wrenches, hood with your hands, become a body tech. It’s almost a name your price field currently.

PIPO

Established Member
I did 21 years in the military. Retired at 45 and bought me a few multi-family properties. It was a bit of work the first year but now I just sit back, do nothing and collect just as much as my retirement and disability payments combined. A few grand more than when I was active duty. I will admit that I’m pretty bored most of the time though. I do love the fact that I can get in the car or on a plane and go anywhere I want to with absolute zero planning lol

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
just out of curiousity, dont you just want to have some time to do absolutely nothing? that's what i did since i retired. i love not needing to do shit or having to be anywhere. but, then again, i'm a lazy ****.
You're retired? I thought you were around my age. Or you did things right.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah man, i did at 52. only thing that let me do it though was never married, no kids ( i don't think). we gotta hit a car show this year and i'll tell you all about it. i got fff notification that it's gonna be at irwindale again this year - maybe i'll see you there, you going?

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Makes me think of a saying my dear departed father used to say...

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who don't want to do, but still get paid, consult.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Part time bartender at a nice beach somewhere in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico. Do some bikini watching and day drinking while at it....

Users who are viewing this thread