New house! Some speaker / wiring ideas..

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
The home is ~1500 sq feet plus 24x24 garage, sitting on 1.6 acres. It's no dream home, but is our first home and we are very excited. We fell into a pretty reasonable deal, so I feel like we can live there a few years, sell it and possibly make a small profit.

It's going to be a single floor ( no basement unfortunately) vinyl siding home. 3 bedroom /2 bath. Open kitchen / living room floor plan with vaulted ceiling, Standard 8' ceilings everywhere else. The master bedroom measures 16x13, the second 14x13, and the third slightly smaller.

Siding color is "maple" which is a tan with a bit of yellow. Shutters are going to be a cranberry color, and the roofing will be 3d shingles.

The cabinets are going to be a cherry stained maple, and we plan to do bottom of the line whirlpool stainless appliances. The countertop that is diagonally hanging out toward the living area is kind of a bar /island with the sink and dish washer.

I asked for power to be ran into the cabinets, so I can later do under cabinet and above cabinet led lighting... I have it wired to a switch where I plan to put a dimmer so I can set the mood woo !

A few goals I had (AVS related) was:
- Wire the house for in wall surround speakers
- Wire the garage for zone 2 / speaker b listening.

My thoughts were the current surrounds I had would have looked stupid hanging on the walls since they are a bit large, so I decided to upgrade to some klipsch in walls.

Current Gear:
-Panasonic G50
-Denon AVS 1910
-Klipsch F-30 Towers
-Klipsch C-30 Center
-Klipsch S-30 Surrounds
-(2) Sony SA-W3800 sw

Newly Purchased Gear:
- (2) Klipsch R-5800-W II in wall

Some Pics!

IMG_0394.jpg

ScreenShot2012-06-03at111420AM.png

ScreenShot2012-06-03at111308AM.png

TV wall:
file-10.jpg

Surround Wall. I had intended to mount the speakers 6' high, but a bathroom light fixture is in the way so I've moved them down to 5'.

file-8.jpg

Wiring going in behind TV:
file.jpg

Surround wiring through ceiling:
file-1.jpg

Surround wiring ( see unfortunate light fixture placement, speaker depth does not allow for placement here)
file-5.jpg

MISC.
file-2.jpg

R-3650 surrounds I had previously decided on. I found some great deals at hifibuys in nashville, TN and returned the 3650s, upgraded to 5800s, and still saved money.
file-3.jpg

I've also ran wires around the back side of the house to the garage, and will have binding post plates in both corners. The idea is that when piddling around, or washing cars etc. I'll be able to listen to the main source receiver / computer / i tunes etc. This will allow for remote control via iPhone through iTunes.

Or, If i just want to blare tune all over the house I can haha. When I want to turn the garage off, I simply turn speaker set B off. I believe I can play different sources to different zones with the Denon, but haven't really looked into it yet.

At this point, we'l likely be using the Klipsch S-30's in the garage, or some old sony bookshelf speakers. The S-30s have two horn tweeters and a single 6.5" woofer, so not sure how they'll sound by themselves.

Some Floorplanner.com photos:
ScreenShot2012-06-03at13943PM.png

ScreenShot2012-06-03at14126PM.png

Id appreciate any input / comments!

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Nice setup! 1.6 acres is a huge lot for your first place, I'm jealous!

Oh and sorry, I'm absolutely no use for audio/visual stuff. I have a crappy Samsung htib setup in my living room.

Last edited:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Thanks!

The property is wedged inbetween the road I commute to work on (6 miles) and an older road that is basically unused. I think the old somerset rd behind us will make for a cool entrance to a shop one day if I decide to build one.

I'd like to do a 30x40x10, 3 door metal siding pole building to piddle in...

property.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
I was going to suggest that the space you now have listed a "garage" be used exclusively as a "man cave" area. Then having insulation, both noise and thermal, wouldn't take up too much room. For a proper home theater you want quite a dead space acoustically. And have it wired for the max in terms of future audio development. Say at least 10.1 surround with dual front subs and
one rear sub.

Then move the garage to the back of the property as a combined shop, garage, tool area. Should have room for both a four post lift in a wash/detail area and an asymmetrical 2 post lift for wheel, suspension and motor work.

This will also insure a large savings on the wedding since there wouldn't be one.

Users who are viewing this thread