New House & My Network Set-up

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hello All,
Just got finished configuring my network in my home and thought I would share what I did, just in-case anyone is looking for some "out of the box" solutions. Couple of notes. I am a cord cutter so no cable or dish service. Only OTA antenna and Internet 100down/10up.

I started with a Linksys WRT1900AC router. flashed with the latest DD-WRT firmware. I choose this one because it works well with open source firmware. I have this router located in the basement central in the house. I choose this location because I will have a somewhat serious entertainment in the basement and I want to make sure all my equipment picks up the AC band from the router. I have one band set up for N only 2.4G wireless channel fixed on channel 6 for any older non-5G devices to connect to, and the other band set up for N/AC mixed 5G that I will use for my wireless bridge and 5G compatible devices, wireless channel fixed on channel 8. I used fix channels so that it keeps connections with my devices more consistent. Also I have the SSID the same for all bands in the house, that way my devices will "see" the same network no matter where in the house you are. This is very important....set up your security as WPA2 Personal and encription to AES on all radios. this router in the basement hits most of the house really well. Now my devices can seamlessly move to whatever band is the strongest.

One problem I ran into is I have a addition on the back of the house that sits on a slab and the wifi signal out there is a little weak. The solution was to re-purpose a older dual band router (Cisco E4200) and flashed it with DD-WRT Firmware. I set it up to act at a repeater / bridge. What this will do is connect to the 5G signal from the basement router and form a "high speed network bridge" that will extend the network into that part of the house. I can then plug all my family room devices into this router for hard wired internet access. The second band of this router is set up as a repeater (using N only 2.4G channel 6 like the main router).

Now I can use my phone / tablet out there and get full signal strength, getting 40-50mb download speeds. My hardwired devices out there (TV, Fire TV, Yamaha network receiver, bluray player) get even faster speeds utilizing the 5G bridged connection.

Whats really cool is that everything is really reliable, and it's very easy to add Ethernet ports around the house if you need it....using a old router flashed with DD-WRT or other open source.

On a side note I put a Clear stream 2v antenna on my roof along with a Fm trap, and old cable amp and I get 50+ local channels. That combined with Kodi, Direct TV now, HULU, and Netflix there is no shortage of stuff to watch. My total bill every month for internet and streaming services is $110. A lot better that the $225 I used to pay Uverse.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Thanks for the detailed post. I just bought a new house myself and am in dire need of upgrading my roughly 10 year old Apple router. Yup, its a hunk'o'junk!

How many square feet are you covering with your network? I'm trying to decide between a traditional wifi router and one of the mesh network offerings.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm a new homeowner as well.

I had to deal with the debacle of having absolutely no internet service or cable service to this home aside from Satellite internet. The irony is the home is located in a heavily networked suburban area that's been around for a hundred years. This one just never managed to get it because it was built in 2006 and it's on a private lane. I'm roughly 500 feet off the main grid.

I had to work with business class Comcast to get a build out done. Roughly costing 6200 to get it to the house with a dedicated node at 150 Mbps and no data cap. I hear this is a fairly cheap price in most cases.

The girlfriend is pushing for satellite TV and all that but I'm a little concerned with being beholden to the TV gods. I would rather stick with our Antenna and internet streaming once the ground cables are laid. I suppose that's for another time. I'll be looking into re flashing my old wireless N router I have to use with the open source firmware.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm a new homeowner as well.

I had to deal with the debacle of having absolutely no internet service or cable service to this home aside from Satellite internet. The irony is the home is located in a heavily networked suburban area that's been around for a hundred years. This one just never managed to get it because it was built in 2006 and it's on a private lane. I'm roughly 500 feet off the main grid.

I had to work with business class Comcast to get a build out done. Roughly costing 6200 to get it to the house with a dedicated node at 150 Mbps and no data cap. I hear this is a fairly cheap price in most cases.

The girlfriend is pushing for satellite TV and all that but I'm a little concerned with being beholden to the TV gods. I would rather stick with our Antenna and internet streaming once the ground cables are laid. I suppose that's for another time. I'll be looking into re flashing my old wireless N router I have to use with the open source firmware.

Well, you'll have a pretty stout internet connection for sure. Whats interesting is my wife and I had about 40+ tv shows we had set to DVR with Uverse throughout the year. We watch a lot of live sports (Cavs, Indians, Browns). With this new setup we have had no problem adjusting to streaming / apps / antenna.

My thought was lets try this way and if we don't like it we'll go back to a cable service. After a couple months we got no plans to go back. Amazon Fire TV with Kodi side loaded has been all the rave these days, and I can tell you that setup definitely don't disappoint. Too bad I didn't like sling tv because this device is really cool:

https://www.sling.com/devices/airtv

Stanger00

Established Member
I bought one of the mesh routers from netgear and have 5g coverage in my whole house, 3250sqft plus 650sqft garage. I also get 2g service out to the furthest points of my 6700sqft lot. Pretty happy with the results and it all cost me about $450 in hardware. (netgear cm600 and netgear orbi).

Had my 2 tvs, 3 laptops, 3 phones all streaming HD content from Netflix and ran a speed test and was still hitting 100mbps on the 5g signal.

Edit: depending on your modem my setup is about double the cost of what you have in your network. I wish I was savvy enough to have known about what you did.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I bought one of the mesh routers from netgear and have 5g coverage in my whole house, 3250sqft plus 650sqft garage. I also get 2g service out to the furthest points of my 6700sqft lot. Pretty happy with the results and it all cost me about $450 in hardware. (netgear cm600 and netgear orbi).

Had my 2 tvs, 3 laptops, 3 phones all streaming HD content from Netflix and ran a speed test and was still hitting 100mbps on the 5g signal.

Edit: depending on your modem my setup is about double the cost of what you have in your network. I wish I was savvy enough to have known about what you did.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice. With a well planned wireless network I just can't justify the cost of running Ethernet all over the house.....maybe a couple runs in key locations but definitely not in every room.

Good point on the wifi in the yard...a lot of people overlook that, and it is noce to control outdoor lights / music with a app on your phone...very easy to do.

On a side note, the network you have is overfill for netflix / Hulu streaming but if you ever wanted to stream 4K or blu-ray rips from a computer / network storage your good to go.

Stanger00

Established Member
On a side note, the network you have is overfill for netflix / Hulu streaming but if you ever wanted to stream 4K or blu-ray rips from a computer / network storage your good to go.

Waiting for netgear to release an update to let us create a network storage. As of now it has a useless USB port.

Overkill, it may be but the idea was to future proof and I think that was accomplished without me having to learn how to bridge, make a single SSID when splitting 2/5g signals without having to reconnect when you're out of range from one or the other. All of that is beyond my knowledge, lol.

At some point video monitoring will be added to our network and whether its wireless or hardwired we don't want to lose performance. If I'm paying for 100mbps than I expect to be able to use it when I need it (if I ever do need that much bandwidth).

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Waiting for netgear to release an update to let us create a network storage. As of now it has a useless USB port.

Overkill, it may be but the idea was to future proof and I think that was accomplished without me having to learn how to bridge, make a single SSID when splitting 2/5g signals without having to reconnect when you're out of range from one or the other. All of that is beyond my knowledge, lol.

At some point video monitoring will be added to our network and whether its wireless or hardwired we don't want to lose performance. If I'm paying for 100mbps than I expect to be able to use it when I need it (if I ever do need that much bandwidth).

Don't take "overkill" the wrong way. That's a sweet set-up for sure. Eventually the typical household will be streaming 4k / high bandwith and you will definetly need a robust wireless network for sure. Heck movies and TV alone used much less bandwidth then they do now. Going forward typical home network traffic is only going to increase / get busier as more wireless devices make their way into the home.

My problem is I'm on a tight budget after my house renovation and it was either have a crappy network or find a solution for very little $$$$. It took me weeks to figure out how to configure everything and figured I would share the knowledge if any one was interested. I had a lot of fun doing it, the wife wasn't happy with all the late nights lol.

Stanger00

Established Member
Don't take "overkill" the wrong way. That's a sweet set-up for sure. Eventually the typical household will be streaming 4k / high bandwith and you will definetly need a robust wireless network for sure. Heck movies and TV alone used much less bandwidth then they do now. Going forward typical home network traffic is only going to increase / get busier as more wireless devices make their way into the home.

My problem is I'm on a tight budget after my house renovation and it was either have a crappy network or find a solution for very little $$$$. It took me weeks to figure out how to configure everything and figured I would share the knowledge if any one was interested. I had a lot of fun doing it, the wife wasn't happy with all the late nights lol.

Oh I didn't, haha.

I know now after reading what it would take to make a system work without spending $500ish was going to take a lot of my time and it wasn't worth the headache from my wife or son or spending late nights testing. I went to bestbuy and begrudgingly spent the coin and had our network up and running in less than 30 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread