Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
89' Saleen Mustang turned Drag Racer
20170727_180449_zpsmmciywuk.jpg

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
8.2" deck SBF currently being re-freshed after 4 seasons of racing. Going to be 4.135 bore X 3.4 stroke, 11.0:1 running E85. Using a KB 2.8 LQ S/C with a custom inlet/outlet manifold that allows for a air/water I/C. Makes about 20-21 psi. Should make around 1,300+ hp. Running a PG based trans and a 8.8" diff with 4.30:1 gears. Car weighs about 3,000lbs with me in it race ready.
Best 1/8 mile to date with the old combo was a 5.33 @133+ mph. That was on a 26X8.5 Hoosier with a 4.10:1 gear.
I have switched over to a 275 DR so it will be interesting to see how she goes. I expect low 5.20's to high 5 teens if everything sorts out like I expect.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Welcome to SVTP! That's a nicely modded '89 Saleen drag racer. Wife and I just returned from a 10 day vacation in Maine starting in Bar Harbor. We were pretty close to Levant.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks! We have a camp (Maine speak for summer vacation home) down in Hancock. We can see Cadillac Mountain from there as well as the cruise ships that come into Bar Harbor. That area is a great vacation spot what with Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. This area is also fantastic in the fall when the trees turn color. If you don't like snow then that would be the only down side with an average of 6 months of the year with snow on the ground.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Winterport Dragway

Does OPS still use their dragway as well?
I grew up going up there every weekend for the 3/8 mile oval track. It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us. That was some good racing back in the day.
Dale Shaw
Mike Rowe
Ricky Craven

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does OPS still use their dragway as well?
I grew up going up there every weekend for the 3/8 mile oval track. It was about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us. That was some good racing back in the day.
Dale Shaw
Mike Rowe
Ricky Craven
Oxford was going under about 3 years ago. A new owner group bought it and have been making improvements to the track ever since. Their PA system was a shambles and they needed new timing equipment. Winterport had upgraded their stuff and sold/donated their old equipment to Oxford. They have done a nice job of turning that venue around, Although the shutdown area needs some attention, repaving ect. I personally have not been there because of the poor condition of the shutdown area, BUT, I have not been able to race at all last year, (Covid) and this year I am dealing with issues on the rebuild on my engine. So maybe next year I will make a trip over. I also want to run at Epping some day. That is a nice facility.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Oxford was going under about 3 years ago. A new owner group bought it and have been making improvements to the track ever since. Their PA system was a shambles and they needed new timing equipment. Winterport had upgraded their stuff and sold/donated their old equipment to Oxford. They have done a nice job of turning that venue around, Although the shutdown area needs some attention, repaving ect. I personally have not been there because of the poor condition of the shutdown area, BUT, I have not been able to race at all last year, (Covid) and this year I am dealing with issues on the rebuild on my engine. So maybe next year I will make a trip over. I also want to run at Epping some day. That is a nice facility.

Thanks for all the info. Very interesting. I'll have to make a trip up there at some point. I have not been up there since the mid 90s, back when Joey Chitwood melted the PA wires with their "Chevy Thunder" ( jet powered Suburban). I miss the incredible July 4 fireworks displays at OPS too.
Yes Epping isn't bad, but it's nothing like Englishtown etc.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for all the info. Very interesting. I'll have to make a trip up there at some point. I have not been up there since the mid 90s, back when Joey Chitwood melted the PA wires with their "Chevy Thunder" ( jet powered Suburban). I miss the incredible July 4 fireworks displays at OPS too.
Yes Epping isn't bad, but it's nothing like Englishtown etc.
I moved to Maine just over 3 years ago from the Seattle area, so I have not been to any of the "big" tracks out here. I have raced at Pacific Raceways (Seattle), Bremerton Raceways in Washington, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Pomona (got my Comp License there during a Frank Hawley Drag Racing School) Firebird Raceways in Phoenix Az, Woodburn Dragstrip in Oregon, Famoso outside of Bakersfield Ca and Medford Dragstrip in Medford Oregon.
I have been to Epping, but that was only to get the re-cert done on the cage in the Saleen.
I look forward to checking out the tracks in the NE area as time goes on.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks! We have a camp (Maine speak for summer vacation home) down in Hancock. We can see Cadillac Mountain from there as well as the cruise ships that come into Bar Harbor. That area is a great vacation spot what with Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. This area is also fantastic in the fall when the trees turn color. If you don't like snow then that would be the only down side with an average of 6 months of the year with snow on the ground.
All reasons (except for 6 months of snow on the ground, LOL) why my wife and I love Maine. This trip we hit three spots in Maine. Bar Harbor for 4 days, Boothbay Harbor for 3 days, and Ogunquit for 3 days. This was our first visit to Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park was the highlight, of course.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I moved to Maine just over 3 years ago from the Seattle area, so I have not been to any of the "big" tracks out here. I have raced at Pacific Raceways (Seattle), Bremerton Raceways in Washington, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Pomona (got my Comp License there during a Frank Hawley Drag Racing School) Firebird Raceways in Phoenix Az, Woodburn Dragstrip in Oregon, Famoso outside of Bakersfield Ca and Medford Dragstrip in Medford Oregon.
I have been to Epping, but that was only to get the re-cert done on the cage in the Saleen.
I look forward to checking out the tracks in the NE area as time goes on.
New England Dragway (Epping) is a great track. Best in New England.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All reasons (except for 6 months of snow on the ground, LOL) why my wife and I love Maine. This trip we hit three spots in Maine. Bar Harbor for 4 days, Boothbay Harbor for 3 days, and Ogunquit for 3 days. This was our first visit to Bar Harbor. Acadia National Park was the highlight, of course.
My first winter in Maine we had snow on the ground for 7 straight months, from November into May. I was thinking, what the hell did I get myself into. Lol. Mind you, it is not constant snow coverage. But at some point in each month, there was snow on the ground. That last one in May put 16 inches down in 1 day. It was gone a week later, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread