New heads, loud ticking from drivers side

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Built a new motor for my car, and I had the heads completely worked over by Fox Lake. New guides, exhaust seats, valves, springs, CNC porting/chamber work, etc. Everything looked good, and the car runs great. Only problem is the driver's side head/header area makes a pretty annoying mechanical ticking noise. It's not an exhaust leak. The volume is steady and independent of engine load, but the ticking varies with RPM. It's most audible inside the header tubes when you go under the car, and there also seems to be some of the noise coming from inside the valve cover. When driving with the windows down, you can here the ticking echoing off of everything. I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific cylinder, but my hope is just a bad or clogged lash adjuster. Those are the only used parts in the heads. Anyone have a good idea of what it could be? I'll call Fox Lake too to see what Ron thinks, but I just want to reach out for other opinions/experiences.

wkornf

Established Member
every 4v Head I've seen sounds this way. if you learn anything please post back. my guess is also on the adjusters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

T-bird88

Established Member
It's for sure the lash adjusters.
There is a procedure to test them, how fast or slow they bleed off.
I have found if some start to tick then it's best to replace all of them.

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Ron at Fox Lake seems to agree that it is likely the lash adjusters. I'll hopefully dig into it in the next week and see if changing the adjusters work.

wkornf

Established Member
Man that's not a fun process , getting the valve covers off is a pain. like really tough

you also need 2 special tools to remove the followers. or be Ok with a screw driver and using the cam as leverage.

wkornf

Established Member
nice! that's like hardmode car guy stuff.

these 4v are not a forgiving architecture to work on.

hopefully it works out for you. I'm gonna let mine tap.

GM2Ford

Established Member
hopefully it works out for you. I'm gonna let mine tap.

Lmfao! Yasss! Same man! The sound was/is SO ANNOYING that I actually went across the country a couple times just to find me a good set of 05 Jan 4v 9 thread heads! I had some major work done by Ron to them.

I haven’t installed them yet... so currently I’m just letting the factory ones on my car tap as well. Mines it’s sorta intermittent though. It comes and goes when it feels like it lmfao.

I’ve come to terms with it haha!

GodStang

Established Member
Lmfao! Yasss! Same man! The sound was/is SO ANNOYING that I actually went across the country a couple times just to find me a good set of 05 Jan 4v 9 thread heads! I had some major work done by Ron to them.

I haven’t installed them yet... so currently I’m just letting the factory ones on my car tap as well. Mines it’s sorta intermittent though. It comes and goes when it feels like it lmfao.

I’ve come to terms with it haha!

I have 05 Jan 4V heads... They do the same thing and I have brand new lash adjusters in them.... I just got louder exhaust and a louder blower...

GM2Ford

Established Member
I have 05 Jan 4V heads... They do the same thing and I have brand new lash adjusters in them.... I just got louder exhaust and a louder blower...

Hopefully I don’t suffer the same result. I had Ron do some major CNC work to them. Like “pro mod” race car stuff. It was probably more than your average enthusiasts would even think about. Every mechanical component has been upgraded to pro mod race items.

I’ll update you guys when I install them and have some good run time.

decipha

Established Member
take this for what it is I'm certainly not saying its a fix but if your in a bind and cannot tolerate the ticking anymore and must drive the vehicle its worth a shot.

Go to your auto parts store and see if they have any engine oil tick additives. You might be surprised at just how much is quiets it down.

GodStang

Established Member
Hopefully I don’t suffer the same result. I had Ron do some major CNC work to them. Like “pro mod” race car stuff. It was probably more than your average enthusiasts would even think about. Every mechanical component has been upgraded to pro mod race items.

I’ll update you guys when I install them and have some good run time.

Same here. The guys that built my engine had record setting big turbo Mod Motors. I told them I will have what you are having. It cost a few $$$ but it is a badass engine.

Users who are viewing this thread