new halfshafts or not?

svtmc-g

Established Member
Hey fella's. Read another topic and didn't want to jump in it. So...
I'm getting 4.10s for my car along with all the irs delrin/aluminum goodies. Is it a good idea to get new halfshafts since I'm getting 4.10's and stiffening the irs? I've have been told that the half-shafts will break REAL easy with the mods I'm gonna go with. I'm not gonna hit the track much at all(don't wanna run the risk of smashing it before it's paid off)I may run it a few times. Just wanna make it the best it can be in the low rpm's(especailly with LongTubes) and in handling. any advice? Thanks in advance:)
Mc-G

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um they break really easy on a stock car. You can convert to a 31 spline when you do the gears and go with 03-04 halfshafts or you can get raxles.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
You can convert to a 31 spline when you do the gears
how much does it usualy cost to convert it to a 31 spline and what is involed. i mean can u use the same driveshaft?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Youll need 31 spline halfshafts and a 31 spline differential. Everything else is the same.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Mc-g,

Just my opinion here, but if I were you I wouldn't spend any extra dough on that rear end if you are only planning on seeing occassional track time. If you want handling, then spend the money on suspension parts instead. If you don't abuse the halfshafts they will last a long time... wheelhop is bad, clutch dump is bad... slipping the clutch is good. Buy some springs and shocks first and learn how to launch the car. There are plenty of cars going very fast on stock IRS's.

Last edited:

SpittinVenom

Established Member
Yeah, look at it like this. A GM 10 bolt is weak. The M6 f-bodys go through them like they are nothing because of the shock when people dump the clutch. But the auto guys around here are running low 11's without a problem because they put tention on them before the launch so there is no shock. Im taking my therory and translating it to my launches, as long as I do not shock the rear end, I do not have a fear of breaking a half shaft.

svtmc-g

Established Member
well...i dont' dump the clutch for sure....I wanna have the ability to track the car when I feel the need(no tellin how much) and the freakin wheelhop is now happening when I'm runnin hard and hit second...the thing hops like a bunny and I HATE it! I want the 4.10's to help with the low end torque we all love so much. I hate having to wait till 4krpm's to smile!haha I'll just do my thing cause that's really what I'm wanting outta my car...and focus on NOT shocking the irs...and If I break the shafts...I'll get new ones!

Users who are viewing this thread