New Guy

28psi

Still a Noob
Established Member
Hey guys I'm new here I'm from Atlanta Ga. I just picked up my first Cobra. Its a 03 Mineral Gray Hardtop with 75k on it. I love the color and looks of this car. It has a handful of mods done to it (2.76 pulley, catted x pipe exhaust, adj clutch quadrant, ect.). I don't plan on getting too crazy with it as I will be using it for a DD. This thing is a blast to drive. I am impressed on how quick it is off the line. :rockon:

If I could ask for some advice. I have searched and read may threads on this topic but I still cant make a decision. The stock radiator is leaking and the car will overheat if I run the AC. I don't have plans to go mod crazy so should I replace it with a stock radiator or go with a Fluidyne? I plan to do the install myself and don't have the greatest place to work on it... Will the Fluidyne be a rpia to install? (I have already ordered a 170 thermostat)

Also I have a clunk sound from somewhere in the drive line when putting it in 1st gear sometimes at a stop. It happens about 50% of the time. It is pretty loud. I didn't know if that was a common problem. I really need to get it to a shop but I tapped myself when I bought this thing.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

03mgtermi

Established Member
congrats on your purchase and again on the color choice. you picked the right one haha!!

i would go with the stock replacement radiator. if you aren't racing it, you don't need the extra cooling capacity, especially with the 170* thermostat. it's much cheaper than the fluidyne and obviously is a direct replacement. the fluidyne isn't terrible to install, but will require some slight modifications to get it mounted up and clearanced.

the clunk is known as the cobra clunk to most people and all the early cobra's have it. the factory shipped these cars with a 12mm bolt in the front sub frame mounts of the IRS. they should have come with 14mm bolts. here is a link to some replacement bolts. Maximum Motorsports 03-04 Cobra 14mm IRS Subframe Mounting Bolt [M14-109Bolt] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

most of the time those bolts eliminate the clunk. you need two bolts and two of the corresponding nuts

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
congrats on gettin the cobra!

unfortunately the clunk is something that cobras come stock with. you'll noticed it prob happens in other gears as well. possibly when shifting....or if you let off the gas to coast for a min...then when you DO press the gas again CLUUNK. gotta love it.

its not THAT big of a deal tho....its not hurting anything, or damaging anything over time. just how they are.

they are things you can do to minimize it tho, as mentioned above.

EDIT: dont let it keep you from enjoying her to the fullest! =]

Last edited:

28psi

Still a Noob
Established Member
Thats good to know that the clunk is not hurting anything. I will also look into the sub frame bolts and see if they have been replaced yet. And thanks for the congratulations I really like the car.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
to avoid hearing the clunk noise when shifting into 1st gear at a stop .. press the clutch pedal in and wait a second or two before shifting ... the sound is most common when pressing in the clutch and immediately putting it in first

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Welcome, I roll up to ATL at times from Pensacola...congrats on the purchase, and I agree with what others have said in the above threads

futureSVT

Established Member
I am not sure about that far down but Mustangs Unlimited is having a show today if the rain holds out. if not it will be next sunday. Me and buddy are trying to get togeather more stangs and do some stuff soon. ill PM you if we plan anything.

mrose75

Established Member
MG, beautiful color. The "Clunk" freaked me out when I bought mine too. Had to email the dealership and ask about it. No worries as others have stated. After a while you won't even notice it. But congrats, welcome to the club!! Now check the thread about the secret SVT Handshake and make sure you spun up on how to do that....:poke:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Your Cobra sounds nice, and some good starting mods. I'd recommend you go with a stock radiator through Tousley Ford. SVTP members get 10% over cost, so give Steve or Kevin a call. 1-800-328-9552

slowbra99

Established Member
Thats good to know that the clunk is not hurting anything. I will also look into the sub frame bolts and see if they have been replaced yet. And thanks for the congratulations I really like the car.

the clunk is very normal.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
no prob AND the price is way cheaper than an LFP or Fluidyne!
It says $200 or Best offer plus you'll save on shipping if they let you pick it up! Give em $175 out the door, haha!
and FYI if you do go with a Fluidyne you pretty much always have to relocate the ABS bracketry, get the 04 Cobra one and one of Joel's 170 stats and you'll be ALL GOOD!

Last edited:

28psi

Still a Noob
Established Member
Thanks again for hook on the radiator. I got it for 175. Thats a boat load less than Gwinnett Place fords 680$$$ I hope to be able to drive with the heat off by middle week :)

Here is a pic
28591_117738168259272_100000692686657_136870_5472128_n.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Your car looks Awesome, Great color! Also as suggested now would be an excellent time to order one of Joel's Stat's before you do the radiator switch, the members here Swear buy it!

Last edited:

28psi

Still a Noob
Established Member
Thanks for the complements. Is the Reische 170 tstat the same as you are talking about? If so i will have one in the morning...

Users who are viewing this thread