New guy here with foxwagon project

nelzsvt

Established Member
Just introducing myself. I'm working on a 1985 ltd wagon that I would like to convert to 5.0 5 spd. I have a lot of the parts I will need , but I've been dragging my feet. I would like this to be the year that the wagon comes together. I don't have a lot of resources, and that slows everything down. What I have so far is 2 donor cars. The engine will be 1986 h.o., the trans is a tremec 5 spd. Fuel management will be through a9l computer with a mass air meter set for 24lb injectors. A cobra brake kit is already installed on existing k member and rear axle along with ford "c" springs. Wheels are 05 GT wheels. The rear is an auburn limited slip geared at 3.27 or 3.55, not sure which. I would like to swap the rear for an IRS. I have a couple of intake choices: tubular gt40, downs box or 87 & later 5.0. The goals of my build are daily driver. No lopey idle. No hood scoop. Air conditioning yes. I'm not even gonna tint the windows. I would like to have electric cut-outs. Your basic mild sleeper. If you all have any suggestions or opinions, I'm all ears..er..eyes. Thanks!

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Assuming you're serious and not trolling.....................

That's crap load of weight for an IRS to manage, I would think that you'd want to find an 03 or 04, 31 spline unit to do that and it would still have the 8.8 guts. I think that car has a 4 link the same as the mustang so go read up on this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/911165-panhard-bars-stock-style-suspensions.html

FWIW I'm a fan of the IRS but probably not for that application, but, to each his own.

The pedals out of a foxbody mustang should fit just fine along with all the other parts, a s I recall the fairmont was basically a stretched mustang

nelzsvt

Established Member
Oh, I am serious alright! As soon as I figure out how to load up pics I'll post what I have. I'm not doing anything that hasn't been done before. Done well I might add. If you shoot on over to FOUREYEDPRIDE FORUMS you'll see what I mean. I've added this forum as another resource & just to check it out.

nelzsvt

Established Member
The pic of the wagon is when I found it on a used car lot. $500 bucks.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

vfast

Established Member
cobra intake is better for what you have...thing is if the 86 engine has org. pistons a bigger cam is tricky ( reliefs in the pistons)...that heavy of a car so more gear is needed. you might be better off finding a 351w engine to start with. a set of used alum. heads will be a big benefit in reducing front end wt. and 50 hp to boot. a manuel rack with help with hp. Lightening up the car will help even more...light wt wheels also help with making it faster as well..... love sleepers

blacksheep-1

Established Member
That's pretty cool, but the wood has got to go (I hope) Vfast has some good ideas, 100 pounds = a tenth.

It might look cool using all the mustang parts on it, wheels etc, make it a 4 door mustang (without the wood, I hope)

FWIW I owned a 2 door 56 chevy wagon with a 327 , dual quads, 4 speed and a 5.13 gear.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Just realized you have experience with this swap!
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/fox-body-mustangs-352/897028-fox-project.html
That is very very impressive! And I only looked at the first page! My Daddy Wagon isn't gonna be anywhere near as impressive. I don't even have a garage. Cosmetics aren't high on my priority list right now, plus I think the woodgrain adds to it as a daily driver/sleeper. The wagon in my head has a 351 or coyote backed by a t-56 under a stock hoodline and is all black with chrome trim everywhere. I'd have everything either polished or chromed, especially the roof rack. Tinted windows all around, gutted and fully braced, FTBR IRS, but that is a different wagon all together. The guy or gal who owns that wagon has time, and money to spare. I'm Al Bundy with 2 elderly parents, not to mention Peg, Kelly and Bud.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
If you're on a budget then you can pick up 99-02 IRS units pretty cheap, someone on here just bought one for 400 bucks, ( the sought after 03-04 are considerably more, usually over 1K) but you need to try and get the driveshaft with it because they are a different length (the cobra is shorter) by about 1 inch, usually you can get them to work however. Cobra shaft in a GT..bad, GT shaft in a cobra..usually OK, but tight. They are the smaller 28 spline units and keep in mind they are starting to get some miles on them so it might be time for new joints on the half shafts. A (T5) or a T45 is probably more do-able and the H/O 302s make decent power (I have one in my autocross car right now, only with a carb) That would severely cut the cost of your project and you could buy a K-member and coil over set up for the front, which would cut a ton of weight.
BTW thanks for the kind words on the project, there's a ton of links in there, some concerning the IRS. Your car is basically just a stretched FOX so that article would work for you, here's the original..

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/projects/758828-johnny-cash-mustang-project.html

Last edited:

nelzsvt

Established Member
I scored an 04 IRS. I was told the car only had 38,000 miles when the IRS was pulled for a solid rear axle swap. I took 2 weeks vacation earlier this month to get this project rolling and I made some good progress. Now I have to remove the rear I just installed to swap in the IRS. The mustang springs had the rear end sitting a little too low anyway. Hopefully the IRS cobra springs will handle the wagon weight better.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Yeah. I'm no pioneer. It's been done quite a bit already. I probably learned about the chassis compatibility over 10 years ago. I'm only now getting to build the car (wagon) that's been in my head all that time.

nelzsvt

Established Member
Then I took a running and driving 3.8/c5 1985 ford ltd wagon and began building the wagon in my head for so many years.

img_2624_original.jpg

img_2643_original.jpg

img_2652_original.jpg

img_2654_original.jpg

img_2668_original.jpg

nelzsvt

Established Member
I still have so much to do before this thing even runs. Fuel lines, brake lines, wiring (this is a big one), and connect front to back. Just picked up some pieces recently to further complicate things.

img_2803_original.jpg

img_2808_original.jpg

img_2894_original.jpg

img_2897_original.jpg

img_2895_original.jpg

nelzsvt

Established Member
Thanks for any and all compliments! The major wrenching was done on a 2 week vacation in early August. The last couple of pics are the cobra irs, irs exhaust, and the aluminum driveshaft out of a 2000 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer 2wd.

Users who are viewing this thread