New GT500 track pack wing (2 way adjustable with Gurney flap)

ANGREY

Established Member
Does anyone have any guesses as to who will be manufacturing the track pack wing?

I reached out to APR and their response seems to be it's not them.

Usually FRPP locks up the exclusive rights on stuff so it can't be purchased directly from the manufacturer, but it would be nice to know who's fabbing and selling to Ford.

From photos and vids, it appears that the stanchions/legs feature the typical triangle shaped truss members but the mounting seems to have plats or extensions that run parallel to the decklid (almost like sill plates).

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don't believe APR is a Tier supplier.

I spent last year with the two Kohr cars at numerous IMSA Conti races and never asked if Multimatic made the wing and they'd be my first choice. I've got a request in for an answer in the meantime.

Regarding the wing, there were some photos posted earlier about a car that showed up at Mid-Ohio (IIRC) that had manufacturer's plates (Melvin's car?). It sported a Multimatic CF hood and vents with Aerocatch latch pins, exposed CF GT350 R wheels, a roll bar, and a GT4 Mustang wing using non-GT4 mounts. I had a very strong feeling this was what we were going to see in production (the wing) and to this day can't believe how this one was right in everyone's face and it still got missed.

23791-XL.jpg

23793-M.jpg

23796-L.jpg

Anyway, the CGI video from a year ago offered up a split second glimpse of the wing and its supports. A screen cap...

z%20wing%20from%20capture-L.jpg

And here is the Mid-Ohio car atop the just released 2020 production GT500 to compare the wings/hardware...

2020%20TOB%20COMPARO-X3.jpg

2020%20TOB%20COMPARO1-X2.jpg

Must have been somebody high up to have had the cojones to let the wing slip, albeit with what looks to be hardware very similar to what made production.

And I just realized that in less than two minutes by using the correct size allen key you can kiss your fancy $$$$ wing goodbye if you park it anywhere. Gonna need a security hardware retrofit for this one for sure.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If you get George to make some wing extensions I personally feel the wing would look better if it was set back an inch or so.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Regarding the wing, there were some photos posted earlier about a car that showed up at Mid-Ohio (IIRC) that had manufacturer's plates (Melvin's car?). It sported a Multimatic CF hood and vents with Aerocatch latch pins, exposed CF GT350 R wheels, a roll bar, and a GT4 Mustang wing using non-GT4 mounts. I had a very strong feeling this was what we were going to see in production (the wing) and to this day can't believe how this one was right in everyone's face and it still got missed.

I'm glad you posted this. In February 18, I had this car in the building briefly. I was always surprised that the fact they drove it on the street, both in my area and that spring down to Mid-Ohio, didn’t inspire a variety of questions. It's not like they were hiding it.

IMG_8018.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8020.jpg
IMG_8028.jpg
IMG_8026.jpg
IMG_8025.jpg
IMG_8031.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ahh, I figured it would be them if it was indeed a GT4 derivative. Huge thanks for posting up on that car Dave. Please tell me it wasn't crushed. And are there any other unique features on that black car that might not be visible?

Austin, I went through quite a number of shots I took while with Dean's cars this past season to try to find some matching perspective shots of the wing and supporting hardware. I ran a couple through photoshop, using a grid to match the decklid elevations between the two so that you could see how much higher the GT4 car wing is as well as to compare the supports.

2020%20Tob1-L.jpg

And I suppose while we are on the subject of the wing and for future reference, it'll be interesting to see (now that Multimatic has been positively identified as the supplier of the GT500 wing) if Multimatic is using the same "dogbone" brackets that were used on the GT350R as well as the GT4 Mustangs. This bracket is unobtainable from Ford unless you purchase the R wing and the price of the wing is up there.

Here is a shot of a GT4 wing, support, and dogbone bracket, on Dean's GT4 car when it ran the Nano livery.

Kohr%20GT4%20rear%20wing-L.jpg

z%20Capture-L.jpg

When I added a C2C "R" wing to my own GT350 I was lucky enough to score a set of the brackets (please don't ask - I can't get them). Again, they are identical to the GT4 brackets (as well as a genuine R model GT350).

zzz%20IMG_4332-Edit.jpg~original-X2.jpg

So now I'm even more eager to see the underside of a 2020 GT500 CF Track Pack decklid to see if Multimatic used the same dogbones. If they did, I would assume the "third" mounting hole, towards the inside of each of the two mounts, is in the same location as well.

The portion of the wing mount "base" that sits flush with the top of the decklid has a different appearance than that of the GT500 as much as the mounting hole locations could be the same. The Multimatic GT4 base and 6061-T6 stands...

IMG_4895-X2-XL.jpg

IMG_4896-X2-X2.jpg

i-KS4Xsds-X2-X2.jpg

i-SHRmVSP.jpg

More and more I can't ****ing believe the GT500 will have the option of buying the car with the GT4 wing on it. Truly mind blowing as it is massive.

z%20GT500%20GT4%20wing%20elevation%20comparison-X3.jpg

csc427

Established Member
I'm glad you posted this. In February 18, I had this car in the building briefly. I was always surprised that the fact they drove it on the street, both in my area and that spring down to Mid-Ohio, didn’t inspire a variety of questions. It's not like they were hiding it.

View attachment 1545024 View attachment 1545025 View attachment 1545026 View attachment 1545027 View attachment 1545028 View attachment 1545029 View attachment 1545031 View attachment 1545032
Dbk, don’t act like you have any inside connections or information...lmao. Awesome pics

ANGREY

Established Member
So basically we'll have to wait until aftermarket clones are offered by the usual suspects. Or wait until Ford offers it and charges a fortune for it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You can probably contact Multimatic if you're in a hurry and pay a fortune for it from them too.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting that the hardware is exposed.

It makes complete sense to use stainless hardware. And I dig the simplicity along with the ability to make a quick adjustment if one feels the need. But for production cars it has to be assumed that the majority will either never touch it at all or if it gets adjusted (and my understanding is that there will be two positions to choose from) that it would be adjusted once and then stay there. I'm thrilled that it isn't fixed permanently but something needs to be done to make it at least a little bit of a challenge to steal. I'd also like to see production fastening hardware being done in black but absolutely in stainless or another highly corrosion resistant material.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I have a bunch of conflicting answers on this now. Two Ford Performance guys told me they think Multimatic makes it on the GT500, one Multimatic guy told me he thinks they make it on the GT4 but not the 500, and one Multimatic guy told me he thinks they do. He said he'd double check. Call it *pending.*

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Not worthy of its own thread and this one seemed the best fit so far. I had noticed in the CGI video from a year ago something odd and I've watched it way too many times, frame by frame. The lower front "fangs" that run from the bumper down near the splitter had a void behind them. I couldn't figure out how this could be possible but it looked kinda neat. I don't know if this was what was originally envisioned by the designers or just how the CGI worked out.

Screenshot from the CGI video on top and a crop from the real deal on the bottom.
_2020 GT500 CGI vs ACTUAL COMPARO.jpg

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
Interesting that the hardware is exposed.

It makes complete sense to use stainless hardware. And I dig the simplicity along with the ability to make a quick adjustment if one feels the need. But for production cars it has to be assumed that the majority will either never touch it at all or if it gets adjusted (and my understanding is that there will be two positions to choose from) that it would be adjusted once and then stay there. I'm thrilled that it isn't fixed permanently but something needs to be done to make it at least a little bit of a challenge to steal. I'd also like to see production fastening hardware being done in black but absolutely in stainless or another highly corrosion resistant material.
Someone will surely offer replacement security fasteners ...black chrome would be highly corrosion resistant and look pretty sweet too!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Google Multimatic, click on the Motorsports tab and look through the site or the downloadable GT4 pdf. There are contact numbers there. If they'd even quote you a number be prepared and have a defibrillator nearby.

Something that Ford has done for the past few years that has driven me nuts. They have talked about "available" or "adjustable" Gurney flaps. In reality, we didn't see shit. Well, they are semi-claiming that this time it will be different.

The non-CF Track Pack wing looks to be very similar, if not the same, as the non-GT350R wing for 2019. I highlighted the related blurb below from Ford's media release...

wingCapture3.JPG

If this "swing spoiler" is the same as the 2019 GT350 unit it looks as if it'll indeed have fasteners for an add-on Gurney flap.

wingCapture.JPG

I took some screen caps from a 2019 GT350 Ford media video that shows this add-on flap in place. The first...

wingCapture2.JPG

Looks like what I would have expected. The second shot has flap that has clearly been added to an existing photograph. Photoshop magic. Makes me wonder if it wasn't ready when the release was done. May be why Ford has been so coy about "base" GT500 details and imagery.

wingCapture1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread