New Ford Racing IRS Diff Cover/Girdle

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Just a heads up guys:

The instructions say to open the plug at the top of the diff and open the fill level plug in the middle. Then pump fluid into the diff in the top hole. Then stop pumping when you see fluid coming out the middle (level) hole.

Doing it per the instructions is too much fluid. It will hold 2 qts 22 oz this way and blow it out the vent tube when you drive.

I found that 2 qts 16 oz (2.5 qts) is perfect and will not blow out the vent hole.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Just a heads up guys:

The instructions say to open the plug at the top of the diff and open the fill level plug in the middle. Then pump fluid into the diff in the top hole. Then stop pumping when you see fluid coming out the middle (level) hole.

Doing it per the instructions is too much fluid. It will hold 2 qts 22 oz this way and blow it out the vent tube when you drive.

I found that 2 qts 16 oz (2.5 qts) is perfect and will not blow out the vent hole.

Thanks for the heads up.:beer:

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Once we have a machined cover we will post photos for everyone's viewing pleasure. Unless you have access to a milling machine, modifying the cover will be difficult at best. One of our installation facilities did modify a cover with a Dremel tool but I would NOT recommend it!

The inner toe link mounts could be modified somewhat but if you remove too much of that material you will weaken those mounts.

The difference between the FT 5000 and the FT 5001 are the rear diff mounts which is addressed here:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

If you don't have a driveline vibe now, the installation of the kit will most likley NOT induce one. If you have a driveline vibe you'll definitely want to opt for thr FT 1401 rear diff lowering mount.

Yes we ship overseas but you'll have to inquire for freight quote at:

[email protected]

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Sent an email reguarding the diff cover and possibly other IRS parts. Ready to order!

Carlos

GodStang

Established Member
Sweet mine comes in today. Will be installing 3.55, Detroit Tru track, and this cover today. Will post pics.

GodStang

Established Member
FRPPCover.jpg

FRPPback.jpg

CoverFronts.jpg

CoverBacks.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Those photos really do no justice to the incredible increase in structural rigidity of the new Ford Racing diff cover. But I can assure everyone that this is a serious upgrade in components!

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Got all my parts in and installed. The parts are nice and happy im with the service from FTBR.

I have a question for you guys with the cover and front and rear diff bushing from FTBR; Did any of you notice a noise increase from the diff? Mine is pretty loud. As soon as the car starts rolling you can hear everything rotating but i figured its the nature of the beast. I just wanted to see what everyone else has to say.

earico

Established Member
Got all my parts in and installed. The parts are nice and happy im with the service from FTBR.

I have a question for you guys with the cover and front and rear diff bushing from FTBR; Did any of you notice a noise increase from the diff? Mine is pretty loud. As soon as the car starts rolling you can hear everything rotating but i figured its the nature of the beast. I just wanted to see what everyone else has to say.

Yes increased driveline noise is normal. With the solid diff bushings the gear noise in transferred to the chassis.

GodStang

Established Member
Just a heads up guys:

Wow you put a half gallon in???? That is why you are blowing it out. You need about 2.6 to 2.9 pints. Not quarts.

earico

Established Member
Wow you put a half gallon in???? That is why you are blowing it out. You need about 2.6 to 2.9 pints. Not quarts.

No the reason it was coming out is because I filled it exactly as the INSTRUCTIONS said to do. Does anyone actually read the instructions when installing a part? I do.

I know the difference between pints and quarts. Learned that in elementary school. I know the oem fill is 2.9 pints or 1.5 quarts. Said this before but if you read the instructions and fill it that way it will take over 2.5 quarts.

The new cover will hold more capacity than the OEM one. I have about 2.25 quarts in mine now with zero issues which is 1/4" from the top of the fill level hole.

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
The new Ford cover WILL work with our original Delrin rear diff support, part number FT 1300.

We are making a minor modification to our Delrin isolated rear diff lowering mount FT 1400 so it also works.

We will also be stocking the new FRPP rear IRS cover in the very near future.

well, car is apart, solid axle gone, IRS ready to go in with all the new bushings but the diff support from FT5000 DOES NOT FIT the Ford Racing cover, the differential sits crooked in there!

anyone got pics of the FT5000 kit installed with the unmilled stock Ford Racing cover???

:cuss:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
well, car is apart, solid axle gone, IRS ready to go in with all the new bushings but the diff support from FT5000 DOES NOT FIT the Ford Racing cover, the differential sits crooked in there!

anyone got pics of the FT5000 kit installed with the unmilled stock Ford Racing cover???

:cuss:

If you have one of our earlier FT 1400 rear diff lowering mounts they do not fit the Ford Racing cover. It requires some additional milling to the mount.

If you're putting that in the subframe with the lowering mount and the Ford Racing cover there will be interference issues as explained in the FAQ on our site:

FTBR FAQ's

Q: "I see that you offer a Delrin isolated lowering rear differential mount FT 1401. How's that different from your FT 1300 Delrin rear diff support?"

A: The FT 1300 Delrin rear diff support bushing set replaces the rubber bushing in the OEM mounting bracket. Used in conjunction with our front diff mounting bushing set FT 1200, you will be able to improve your driveline angle as it came from the factory but you will not be able to completely optimize it. In order to be able to completely optimize the driveline angle you'd need the lowering rear diff mount. If you currently have a driveline vibe I would highly recommend the lowering rear mount. If not, you most likely don't need it. The FT 1401 comes complete with the Delrin bushing installed in it. The FT 1401 is modified to work with the Ford Racing rear diff cover we now offer. However, if you're using the FT 1401 combined with the Ford Racing diff cover you will run into some clearance issues with the inner toe link mounting brackets on the subframe. We now offer a machined Ford Racing cover FT 1350M which is specifically milled to install in the subframe without any clearance issues.

Hope that helps.

Ceanes

Established Member
After installing your entire kit Bruce is it mandatory to have it aligned?

Thanks
Chuck

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
After installing your entire kit Bruce is it mandatory to have it aligned?

Thanks
Chuck

Well............ it's certainly recommended depending on how many parts have been changed.

Any time you disassemble IRS components, it's a good idea to have it realigned once you put it all back together.

FWIW

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have one of our earlier FT 1400 rear diff lowering mounts they do not fit the Ford Racing cover. It requires some additional milling to the mount.

If you're putting that in the subframe with the lowering mount and the Ford Racing cover there will be interference issues as explained in the FAQ on our site:

FTBR FAQ's

Q: "I see that you offer a Delrin isolated lowering rear differential mount FT 1401. How's that different from your FT 1300 Delrin rear diff support?"

A: The FT 1300 Delrin rear diff support bushing set replaces the rubber bushing in the OEM mounting bracket. Used in conjunction with our front diff mounting bushing set FT 1200, you will be able to improve your driveline angle as it came from the factory but you will not be able to completely optimize it. In order to be able to completely optimize the driveline angle you'd need the lowering rear diff mount. If you currently have a driveline vibe I would highly recommend the lowering rear mount. If not, you most likely don't need it. The FT 1401 comes complete with the Delrin bushing installed in it. The FT 1401 is modified to work with the Ford Racing rear diff cover we now offer. However, if you're using the FT 1401 combined with the Ford Racing diff cover you will run into some clearance issues with the inner toe link mounting brackets on the subframe. We now offer a machined Ford Racing cover FT 1350M which is specifically milled to install in the subframe without any clearance issues.

Hope that helps.

I ordered my FR1400 kit after asking a couple of times if it fits with the unmodified Ford Racing cover, I think it was about 2 months ago or so, you were already selling the Ford Racing covers at that time so I doubt it's an "early" kit.

I ran into a bunch of problems with this IRS swap, the mount not clearing the cover was the smallest one to fix by modifying the mount itself.

Users who are viewing this thread