New Find: Brake Cooling Kit

coleman

Established Member
How does this look for a brake cooling kit?

nfs18.JPG

http://www.need-4-speed.com/nfs.htm

If others are interested, I can help arrange a group purchase!
I'm thinking of buying Standard-Duty kits and replacing with one foot of high-temp hose only at the backing plate...

Please post up if you are interested or have located something better!

1. coleman - SVTperformance

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Looks cool but seem very pricey for what they are. I'd be interested but the price would need to drop ALOT.

coleman

Established Member
Here's a similar product...
http://www.bdracing.net/index2.asp

I actually ordered what I thought was a great set of brake cooling ducts and backing plates from SHM for 250 (500 originally) ... to find out that they hadn't been available for months and months!

Labora, can I put you down as a maybe?

coleman

Established Member
I emailed the guy at need4speed. I told him to drop that price to under $100 and he might make some sales on it. You would be a fool to pay that when you could make them yourself for under $10.
Craig
some of us just aren't as proficient or ambitious enough to attempt it...
if you've done it, please post some pics.
i know that one could cut a 3" section out of their stock backing plates, weld in a 3" intake, and run a high-temp hose from there.

coleman racing has some inlets... and the high-temp hose.

Brake Duct, Aluminum:

Brake Duct Bracket

which one, or just cut a 3" section at an angle?!?

Brake Duct Connector:
http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_1394

Brake Duct Bracket: ???
http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_493

Maybe we can just do this ourselves then...

Brake Duct Hose:

Custom2kgt

Established Member
Coleman. Nice effort but to do this properly you reall should be trying to cool at the hub and not the rotor. Or so I've been told. However, that being said. I've made basically the same thing just cutting out sections of my the stock dust covers.

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Yep thats kind of what I was thinking you could make something like that fairly cheap why pay 200+ for it. If it was to drop to under 100$ I could maybe see paying for a nice backing plate or whatever because it would look cleaner.

coleman

Established Member
... yes, directed at the hub, but also cool everything else as well.
so, you think these backing plates wouldn't help?

time to do some more homework...

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I'd be interested in something fairly inexspensive also. I have been wanting to get a set since I will start doing more track events with the car. If you guys come up with something, let me know.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Doesn't look too bad. Price is about right. Does it come with brake ducts? I'm wondering how strong that metal is since it is looking pretty thin....

coleman

Established Member
No hose ... you'd have to get that yourself on this kit.
But they are also working on a deluxe version for 250-300, but I doubt that would include hose -- just guessing.

The ones in the original post look thick, but one really can't tell from that image...

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
IMHO, and what I've done, is not waste your money on a cheap/inefficient spindle bracket, and save up for a more efficient bracket like the CSD Deluxe (not the Economy), 00R ducts, or the need 4 speed brackets. Something that will force the most air to the center of the hub and push it through the veins of the rotor. In the mean time I just zip-tied my duct hose as close to the center of the hub along the tie rod ends and ball joint and tested it allowing for lock-to-lock steering. It took a few hours and may zip-ties to get it right, and it lasted two days of pounding at MSR. My .02, and I'm sure your sick of hearing it huh Coleman? :D

EDIT: Forgot you guys might have your dust shields/splash guards still, I just took mine off with no negative effects.

BRAKEDUCT4.jpg

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
no, tell me again... :lol1:

maybe we need to just buy the brake ducting and zip tie as best we can until an exceptional backing plate comes to market at a fair price.

Regarding brake ducting, who's is the most inexpensive?

http://www.quickcar.net/cooling/cp_hose.html
6712c2.jpg

#60-020 Neoprene for standard temperatures 10' per box $49.95
#60-030 Silicone for extreme temperatures 11' per box $59.95

http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1819
pn414.jpg

#900-511 Brake Duct Hose High Temp, Flexible, 3" diameter, 12' $67.60

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/
airduct1.jpg

THENN-300 3" 350 deg. F Aircraft Neoprene 10' $49.99
airduct2.jpg

THESS-300 3" 600 Deg F. Aircraft Silicone 11' $64.99

Last edited:

hpjunkie1

Established Member
does this really work, because herer in Souther California (L.A.) the black top is hot as hell, and to tell you the truth any air coming in that tube will only make my brakes hotter, unless it's in the winter or spring... :shrug:

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
hpjunkie1 said:
does this really work, because herer in Souther California (L.A.) the black top is hot as hell, and to tell you the truth any air coming in that tube will only make my brakes hotter, unless it's in the winter or spring... :shrug:

It's really more for the Track. Since its not very likely you will be heating your brakes up enough on the street to need to cool them off much. And if you are *traffic* It won't do any good anyhow since you will have next to 0 air flow.

Otherwise I guess you could use it on the street. Might slightly extend brake life? :shrug:

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
hpjunkie1 said:

As Labora said, brake cooling in not an issue on a street car, this is for the road course (not strip).

Yes, any cooling you can get to your brakes can help. If the track temperature of the air going into the ducts is 150*, and your brakes (if you are using them) can get over 300* any air, no matter what the temperature, will help cool them, reduce brake fade, and extend the life of your brakes.

Last edited:

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
The Black Neoprene - $49.95 stuff looks like what I used. I paid $65 from Bobby Archer, but I only live 5 minutes from their shop.

coleman

Established Member
JimJr, do you know if this stuff is easy to cut?
Wouldn't it be useful to have a mounted metal elbow where the ducts need to turn anyway?

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Very easy, you can cut the material will a pair of scissors and wires cutters for the wire.

You can, and I have read about people using metal/plastic elbows. I didn't because the bend is where I get my slack to allow for steering (lock-to-lock). I used a 3” OD 4-5” long piece of PVC to attach the two hoses together. Then I used two zip ties to hold up that heavy section to the sway bar, NOTE: you need to make sure your tires don‘t rub the hose here at full lock. The other mounting point was inside the tie rod (allowing for future alignment adjustment). So my slack is in-between these two points. You might notice I also used two zip ties to mount the black hose to the bump steer kit. This was the hardest part, trying to get the hose to go were you wanted it when you center the steering wheel again. However, that will not be an issue once I get a spindle bracket.

BRAKEDUCT2.jpg

BRAKEDUCT3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread