New Explorer, purchase Extended Service plan?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
The dealer we bought our Sport from does free oil changes so I asked about servicing the PTU just because of that reason. Of course he said that's not something they do...

I have had the fluid changed twice by a good friend who is a Certified Tech, and I have recently picked up the extraction pump (no drain plug) that I need to do it myself. I bought more fluid today and plan to do it again soon.
If they can’t flush it, they won’t touch it. I wouldn’t trust a lube tech on that job. I have tried to get the powers at be at my shop to include this on PM services and that went nowhere.

nxhappy

Established Member
11/12 ecoboost motors are trash. 13/14 got better. by 2015 the 3.5EB was pretty much tits. I laugh at warranties. Most people don't and won't use them. You gotta keep in mind this is how dealers make their money.

nxhappy

Established Member
Not too sure, I often wonder how many issues we see are similar to what the public sees. We have had a real big problem with the F150 and some 250 expansion valves sticking. That’s another issue I’d love to see if the public has the same issues.
what do you mean expansion? you mean head valves? if so, the DI is causing the valves to foul prematurely. I have said this for years but the Ecoboost motors NEED oil catch cans on both sides of the motor. Also, so much shit gets in the intake system, the plugs should be changed every 15 to 20k miles.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
I just got a new 2020 and bought the extended warranty for around $1500 I believe. Talked them down from $2200. The 2020’s have issues with the transmission so it was a no brainer for me. Not sure if they fixed it for 21’s or not.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I just got a new 2020 and bought the extended warranty for around $1500 I believe. Talked them down from $2200. The 2020’s have issues with the transmission so it was a no brainer for me. Not sure if they fixed it for 21’s or not.

What package did you actually get?

Miles
Years
Deductible
Actual coverage

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
what do you mean expansion? you mean head valves? if so, the DI is causing the valves to foul prematurely. I have said this for years but the Ecoboost motors NEED oil catch cans on both sides of the motor. Also, so much shit gets in the intake system, the plugs should be changed every 15 to 20k miles.
The expansion valve in the refrigerant system.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just did an expansion valve last Friday on a 250. Lately it has been turbos, water pumps and wheel bearings on Fords. We have seen a few of the PTUs. Things have been Ford water pump, Chrysler cams, Ford water pump, Chrysler cams. It's getting monotonous.

SHOdown220

Established Member
11/12 ecoboost motors are trash. 13/14 got better. by 2015 the 3.5EB was pretty much tits. I laugh at warranties. Most people don't and won't use them. You gotta keep in mind this is how dealers make their money.

While I agree that it is a money maker for the dealer a lot of them do get used. Trust me I work with them every day. While there is a small chance someone will actually use their warranty enough to cover the cost of said warranty, it does happen, probably more frequently than you think. I just did an odyssey the other day customer paid $2400 for an 8 year platinum warranty, I didn't look into how many other repairs they had done under that warranty but their ticket with me was $2293. They had a $0 deductible and walked away with a signature.

That's not the only factor though, newer vehicles are getting expensive as hell to repair, and a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford an unexpected $1000-1500 repair while they are still making payments on said car. Most of them can afford a few extra bucks a month built in to their car payment though. I'm not saying its the right way people should be handling their finances but it seems to be the norm these days unfortunately. Hell take a honda civic for example, you think people buying a honda civic are rolling in the dough? Probably not. I had to replace at least 15 a/c compressor last summer on these and those damn things are something like $2100 for compressor and evac/recharge.

smitty2919

Established Member
How much liquid cash do you have on a monthly basis that is NOT tied to any bills?

We just bought a 2021 Sierra 2500HD SLT and opted out of the ESP. 3yr/36k and 5yr/60k. Between the resources I have locally in the industry and the money freed up from paying off debt, we felt comfortable that we could cover any repairs needed after the factory warranty has expired. This thing has plenty of sensors and cameras out the wazoo.

Users who are viewing this thread