New Exhaust - Welded or Clamped?

helloWorld

Established Member
When I had my Borla ATAK catback system installed several years ago, I had them use the clamps. I thought there was a leak, so I had the exhaust installer just spot weld the clamps to the pipes.

I am getting a new exhaust setup put in within the next couple of weeks and am wondering if I should just have the installer weld all of the pipes together and not use any clamps. Besides being a little more difficult to change up if I decide to go turbo later on, are there any other disadvantages to having this new exhaust welded together after the OEM header to offroad-h pipe connection?

helloWorld

Established Member
Well, I was asking in the first place because I was trying to be cheap and not have to buy every single clamp again.

However, when I purchased my exhaust, most of the clamps came with the kits. I only had to purchase the two clamps that connect the mid-pipe to the over-axle pipes. Just those two clamps alone cost me $110 shipped to me.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
It's really your choice, you should be able to make any setup line up and if you have a leak issue some copper gasket sealer can help. I personally didn't want to not be able to take any part of the exhaust off without having to cut and re-weld it but if you don't care about that then welding will seal very well.

liter of cola

Established Member
a weld to connect the ota pipe to the midpipe would probably be the best way to go if you don't want to buy the clamps as long as its intended to be used with the slip fit clamp (the one with the two bolts on it), cuz then welding them shouldn't propose any complications if you need to cut it and re use it in the future. if the pipes slip into one another and you have to cut it in the future and want to re use it... the cut will shorten the pipe that's slipped into the other one... unless your willing to damage it for any future applications don't weld it.

Users who are viewing this thread