New Edge Windshield replacement

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Maybe I'm just paranoid but is the windshield replacement process pretty simple on a new edge? I have a crack right in the center view of the driver but would rather leave the crack then risk any damage to the body. It looks like the a pilliar pieces need to come off which I have no idea how that comes apart. I'm thinking it may be a good idea for me to disassemble everything I can myself to reduce the risk of anything getting scratched or broken. What are yall's thoughts?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
The trim bits are held on by one screw in the door jam and several push in clips along the A post/roof line. They also clip into the sail panel around the rear window. Not too difficult to take apart but you are dealing with 20 year old plastic so care needs to be taken. Most glass guys will have done a bunch of windshields on these but that experience may be getting stale. It’s going to be a crap shoot as to whether the pros are the best choice or whether you’re better off doing it yourself. I know when I took my cowl piece off, it literally exploded in my hand and I was being pretty cautious.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
IF you still can, get an OEM windshield. Take pics of the numbering and description of your current one for comparison.

If the black cowling cover by the wipers is or gets cracked, you can by a replacement and the hardware for $150-$300.
Looks like stock on both OEM and repo is iffy.

Zemedici

Established Member
They’re not

Chips are, but only very early, and not 100%. Still has possibility of cracking Also.

I wouldn’t sweat it tbh

Users who are viewing this thread