New Driveshaft Doesn't Work

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Well I think it got rid of the vibe at 75 mph and higher. The problem now is it puts out a hum/howl noise at 75 mph and higher. I called SVT and asked if maybe they got an old driveshaft but they said that they were careful and made sure that the old d/s were purged from their parts system. I told him I already tried to neutralize the exhaust system and that didn't help so he said it then is probably the rear end. My dealer is funny. They would not even test ride the car because they would only go up to 65 70 mph. I told them I would drive it so I could show the tech the noise, but they said for liability reasons their manager would not allow it. The dealer said they will be contacting Ford to have a engineer meet with me for a test ride since they don't have a EVA. SVT confirmed that an engineer would meet with me to figure out the problem. I wonder how long this will take before he visits the dealership. SVT did say if the local field engineer could not figure it out they would fly Franco (who is supposed to be one of their best NVH engineers from Dearborn) to look at my car. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. The saga continues.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I hope it works out for you I also had my DS changed out and I still have an imbalance. I am waiting a bit until I get it fixed couse I hate leaving my car in the shop. Let us know how it goes.....Steve

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
03 red cobra

I just got my driveshaft replaced today and I still have a vibration above 80 mph however it is not quite as bad as before and I have the same hum/ howl as you describe that coincides with the vibe. What number did you call to get in touch with SVT? Have you received any of your SVT owners literature yet?

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I had the original driveshaft replaced, still had vibration/hum/howl at 80mph. My dealership contacted SVT and about 2 weeks later an engineer met me at the dealership with a Zero Balance driveshaft.( aluminum). Seems that Visteon is having a little Quality Control problem. The engineer said he was going to take the driveshaft he removed off my car to the Monroe Visteon plant to show them that this was not acceptable. He claims that he has seen 20 to 30 Cobras with the vibration. Anyway, the vibration is gone now!

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SNAKESWINGER
03 red cobra

I just got my driveshaft replaced today and I still have a vibration above 80 mph however it is not quite as bad as before and I have the same hum/ howl as you describe that coincides with the vibe. What number did you call to get in touch with SVT? Have you received any of your SVT owners literature yet?
[/
QUOTE]

1-800-FORD-SVT
I received the SVTOA membership package about 6 weeks after I took delivery of the car.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by plan b
I had the original driveshaft replaced, still had vibration/hum/howl at 80mph. My dealership contacted SVT and about 2 weeks later an engineer met me at the dealership with a Zero Balance driveshaft.( aluminum). Seems that Visteon is having a little Quality Control problem. The engineer said he was going to take the driveshaft he removed off my car to the Monroe Visteon plant to show them that this was not acceptable. He claims that he has seen 20 to 30 Cobras with the vibration. Anyway, the vibration is gone now!

You're lucky that you live in Dearborn. I just wonder how long before Ford gets an engineer to my dealership.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
The engineer and I drove the car after the driveshaft install to verify no vibration, luckily it cured the vibration. There wasn't any vibration at 110:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Snoker

Established Member
Luckily I have never had the vibration problem some of you have experienced. However, I did order and expect to receive Monday or Tuesday of next week a PST carbon fiber driveshaft. Somewhat pricey, but after having spoken to one of their engineers, I believe this driveshaft will only enhance the drivetrain and provide for an even smoother/vibration free experience. The carbon fiber driveshaft comes with alumium yokes and a carbon fiber shaft engineered to eradicate drive line vibration somewhat inherent in the IRS combination we have. Another positive is the weight reduction in the driveline rotational configuration.

I will post any apparent differences I notice after installation.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Snoker
Luckily I have never had the vibration problem some of you have experienced. However, I did order and expect to receive Monday or Tuesday of next week a PST carbon fiber driveshaft. Somewhat pricey, but after having spoken to one of their engineers, I believe this driveshaft will only enhance the drivetrain and provide for an even smoother/vibration free experience. The carbon fiber driveshaft comes with alumium yokes and a carbon fiber shaft engineered to eradicate drive line vibration somewhat inherent in the IRS combination we have. Another positive is the weight reduction in the driveline rotational configuration.

I will post any apparent differences I notice after installation.

Please do as I am very interested in hearing how this carbon fiber d/s works. Do you currently have the vibe/howl from the stock d/s?

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Red Cobra
The dealer said they will be contacting Ford to have a engineer meet with me for a test ride since they don't have a EVA.

It is a required peice of equipment for all ford dealorships from what i've been told. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread