New DD Explorer vs Jeep

03SVTscott

Established Member
Looking for a new daily driver. I can't do anything brand new but looking at 2011 and newer Jeep Grand Cherokees and Ford Explores. Anyone have any thoughts opinions on these two?

Zemedici

Established Member
My dad's got a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and loves it.

Seats are comfortable, lots of room inside, cool-looking dashboard, good MPG, cheap parts.

Got a recall though.

Havent had much problems out of the new explorers either, though. (I work at a Ford Dealership)

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have a 2015 explorer as my work rig. I got it brand new. I have around 4000 miles on it as of now. I am very disappointed in the car.

The interior is nice but I hate the lack of foot room the driver has. There is no where to stretch out your left leg when driving on long trips. The foot well just sort of angles over to the pedals.

There is a short of ledge that you have to lift your leg over when you get in and out of the front seats. It isn't that big of a concern but I tore my ACL a month ago and having to lift my leg up over the ledge to get out of the car was a huge PITA.

As far as build quality goes. That is where I am truly disappointed.
The little weather strips between the door and the windows on the outside are peeling off already. I have to push them back down every few days.
In the middle of the dash where the console around the radio and everything meets the dash pad it has developed on hell of a rattle. If you feel over the lip you can feel the flimsy platic vibrating.
The other day piece of plastic that has the reading lamps in it fell down about a 1/4 inch. I had to snap it back into place.
On the passenger side quarter panel there is a gap that is about 1/4 of an inch that has developed between the two exterior body panels. I am taking it to the dealership this week to get it looked at. I went and looked at two of our other new explorers one 14 and one 15 and they gave the same separation of the body panels happening.

These are just the major gripes I have so far. If you want to check one out go ahead. A neat test is to put your fingers in between the front seat reading lights and push up. You will see the whole molding piece and head liner move up and down. That will show you how crappy the cars are put together.

Best of luck with your decision.

:beer:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I have stayed away from Chrysler like the plague... if you want to buy new (which you don't) and plan to have it under warranty the whole time (which you wont), then the Jeep does look nice and has some cool bells and whistles. But, for practicality purposes the quality of Chrysler would scare me away from the Jeep before I ever even considered it.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Not an answer to your question but... I picked up a nice 2010 Explorer EB and its probably my favorite of all time. Last year of the previous platform with no remaining bugs that I know of. Excellent quality and comfort, drives awesome, luxury features and superior sound system. I swear when it gets high mileage I may search for a low mileage duplicate to replace it. Love it. I prefer it over my 12' CTS without a second thought.
001.jpg

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My grandfather has a Ford Explorer. He has had it for a few years now and loves it. Only thing he doesn't like is its hard to see the end of the hood and its hard for him to park since he can't see the end of the explorer. Passenger seat sits super low too so my grandmother can't see anything. My grandfather isn't short either. Probably 5'8" ish.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Not an answer to your question but... I picked up a nice 2010 Explorer EB and its probably my favorite of all time. Last year of the previous platform with no remaining bugs that I know of. Excellent quality and comfort, drives awesome, luxury features and superior sound system. I swear when it gets high mileage I may search for a low mileage duplicate to replace it. Love it. I prefer it over my 12' CTS without a second thought.

I had a 2010 EB as well. Solid rig. I really liked it. I thought about buying it from my company when I got my 2015.

fangstang

Established Member
Jeep. I drove a new Explorer limited my dad had to rent and I couldnt believe how terrible it was. Cheap feeling, drove like a minivan, just bad all around. I was so disappointed.

blownfox

Established Member
We have a 14 explorer sport and its awesome. We did not care for the non-sport explorer models, there was not enough power. My neighbor had a 12 jeep GC and traded it within 6 months because they dislike it so much. They now have audi Q5 and have only said positive things about it.

If you need 3 rows or extra space, I would look for a bigger vehicle than the jeep.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I am in the exact same boat, except considering an Edge Sport and Cherokee Limited. I am leaning towards the Cherokee, they have all kinds of bells and whistles, I just hate the damn NAV unit.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
My brother in law has a 2012-2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo(Pentastar shitbox motor) and its been in the shop more than he has driven it. 6 recalls in 6 months, cracked catalytic converters(twice), a bad window motor, horrible tire wear(has less than 15k and needed tires), transmission that doesnt know what gear its in and horrible road noise.

The bubble body explorer's are real nice except for the fact that its a damn glorified station wagon, has an odd drivers seat configuration(way too large) and the PTU's are known to leak pretty regularly on the early models. Other than that and they are pretty solid. Interior is real nice and it has plenty of room(still odd that the drivers seat is so far from the door).

I would stay away from Chrysler/Fiat products until they get the NVH/recall issues fixed. I will say that i did drive a new Durango and it was nothing like the GC and was very enjoyable. Only had it for a week but it was an R/T model and really impressed me. Maybe check those out?

hey11101

Established Member
I test drove explorer sport, inside felt like I was in a minivan with the huge ass windshield and 3 rows of seating. The interior did not do it for me either and the engine sound is pretty poor. I got 2013 jeep grand cherokee limited 5.7 which actually feels like a suv inside and not a minivan has plenty of space and with intake and a tune it moves nicely while sounding like a beast.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
My brother in law has a 2012-2013 Grand Cherokee Laredo(Pentastar shitbox motor) and its been in the shop more than he has driven it. 6 recalls in 6 months, cracked catalytic converters(twice), a bad window motor, horrible tire wear(has less than 15k and needed tires), transmission that doesnt know what gear its in and horrible road noise.

The bubble body explorer's are real nice except for the fact that its a damn glorified station wagon, has an odd drivers seat configuration(way too large) and the PTU's are known to leak pretty regularly on the early models. Other than that and they are pretty solid. Interior is real nice and it has plenty of room(still odd that the drivers seat is so far from the door).

I would stay away from Chrysler/Fiat products until they get the NVH/recall issues fixed. I will say that i did drive a new Durango and it was nothing like the GC and was very enjoyable. Only had it for a week but it was an R/T model and really impressed me. Maybe check those out?

You liked the Durango because it was a Hemi model. Hemi model Chrysler products are generally pretty solid and can actually get out of their own way.

I currently own two Hemi cars (5.7 & 6.1) and the power and reliability is awesome. Don't know why anyone would bother looking at any Chrysler product that didn't have the Hemi, but has the option to.

Kenneth

Established Member
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited (that I'm trading in tomorrow for a 2015 Explorer sport) and a 2013 jeep wrangler.
I much rather drive the Explorer than the jeep so much that I give the jeep to my daughter for her to use.

Hate the jeep.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have never been a huge fan of the durango's body style, but I must admit the newer ones look great. I haven't really looked much into them, but just from a styling standpoint I wouldn't mind driving one.

96Mystic1189

Established Member
I am a technician at a Chrysler and Jeep dealer and I must say the new Grand Cherokee is awesome. All of the recalls issued on them are no big deal. There are a couple that involve reprogramming modules, installing a shield on the brake booster, and installing some sunvisor wire guides. 2011 seemed to really be the only year that had most of the v6 cylinder head issues. Other than that, bot the Pentastar and and Hemi models are solid. They are very comfortable and ride amazing. Working for Chrysler I have had alot of doubts in many of the products and thier ideas, but the Grand Cherokee I do have faith in. I have never owned an explorer, but I did drive a 2014 I think and I couldnst see anything out of it, it felt like a tank.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I have a 2015 explorer as my work rig. I got it brand new. I have around 4000 miles on it as of now. I am very disappointed in the car.

:beer:

You are literally the first person I've heard with bad reviews. I've owned a '14 and now a '15 and they are very well built. Solid as a rock. Wife totaled her '14 and walked away with one bruise. 22mpg average with the 3.5 EB is ok in my book, too.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I have a 2011 Explorer Limited (that I'm trading in tomorrow for a 2015 Explorer sport) and a 2013 jeep wrangler.
I much rather drive the Explorer than the jeep so much that I give the jeep to my daughter for her to use.

Hate the jeep.

You're going to love the Sport! Get a LMS tune and you'll be even happier!

Users who are viewing this thread