New coyote 5.0 V8 dyno'd at 395 RWHP! (440 @ crank)

SSeatr

Established Member
thats stock too, ive read a little about it, with all the normal bolt ons for the old 5.0 and 4.6's do you think this will reach 500 hp easily?

i heard this things comes with pretty much all the bells and whistles already

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
from what they are saying on Autoblog and elsewhere, the Coyote is made to not only crank out the ponies stock (395 @ the wheels. 442 @ the crank - more powerful than the Camaro SS engine -- but inexplicably underrated by Ford), but to respond to the aftermarket as well. Right now, it has some pretty trick heads and a good flowing intake manifold. this is not some hopped up mod motor. It is an almost all new design and this is just the starting point. I can't wait to see what's in store for the Shelby.

they also say the engine was built to handle forced induction. i have no idea what they mean by that since 11:1 comp ratio is generally not what you are looking for with FI. However, that comp. means that you will get more power from your bolt ons and FI will work too, but you can't get crazy with the boost.

In the Mustang, Motor Trend did some runs and found the GT to be even faster than the stock Terminator. 0-60 was 4.3 sec and the 1.4 mile was 12.8 sec @ 111 MPH.

The thing is a beast. Camaro and Challenger don't even have a chance.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
when they say "built to handle forced induction" they are referring to the block design. because of the thin cylinder walls, the engineers really beefed the block up in specific areas to prevent reliability issues with FI.

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
Everyone is raving about this new GT. I think its great that ford bounced back with a N/A engine to compete with what chevy has been doing. Some thoughts on this new powerplant are that as much that went into engineering I dont think there will be much with aftermarket resulting in bang for the buck mods (intake, headers, and the such). As far as the comp ratio, 11:1 is not a CR that you want to run FI. I can see all sorts of problems with this as thats why the engine makes the power it does. And to boot, a N/A engine that you will have to run 91/93 octane.

I am not trying to bash these cars in no way, once again I think its a great car, but dont think it will even begin to compete with terminators or GT500's. I may be mistaken though.........we will see.

In the meantime I will be sitting idle waiting for the first one to challenge the cobra.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the coyote can be ran on 87 octane, it uses the knock sensors to determine how much timing needs pulled.

you can say you can't put boost to it all you want, but superchargers are already being worked on(whipple), and people already have(shelby, with the GT350).

and, it won't compete with terminators and GT500s because it's a GT. ford is still making the GT500 after all.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Everyone is raving about this new GT. I think its great that ford bounced back with a N/A engine to compete with what chevy has been doing. Some thoughts on this new powerplant are that as much that went into engineering I dont think there will be much with aftermarket resulting in bang for the buck mods (intake, headers, and the such). As far as the comp ratio, 11:1 is not a CR that you want to run FI. I can see all sorts of problems with this as thats why the engine makes the power it does. And to boot, a N/A engine that you will have to run 91/93 octane.

I am not trying to bash these cars in no way, once again I think its a great car, but dont think it will even begin to compete with terminators or GT500's. I may be mistaken though.........we will see.

In the meantime I will be sitting idle waiting for the first one to challenge the cobra.

You can run boost through them, but youre not going to have the levels that we've become aquired to. Whipple is saying the car will make ~600hp with only 7psi, joys of high c/r and boost! Shit, Hondas have been doing the same thing for awhile now.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
MT has run th enew GT.

0-60 in 4.3 secs! 12.8 in the quarter!

Isn't that faster than a stock Terminator? Heck, isn't that the same speed for a GT500? exept for the quarter, which is 12.3 for the Shelby.

Wow. that is really saying something.

Now imagine an S/C version of this motor with perhaps more cubes (or not) to boot on the lighter weight chassis. Hopefully shelby uses high tech light weight suspension components to keep the weight down and have the Shelby eating Corvettes (until aero drag kicks in after the 1/4). I am surprised how low tech the GT500 is for the price you pay out the door. Shelby/SVT can afford to put a little more into the car in terms of lightweight, yet sturdy materials and such. The GT500 being the heavyweight it has been... there is just no excuse.

Now, if they will redesign the exterior to have more of a new edge style and look more futuristic than retro, I might actually want to buy one.

wilderyzed

Established Member
Just because the compression is high doesnt mean you can't boost it. There are way more factors involved than the compression itself. Head design and combustion chamber efficiency is what counts. If these heads are as good as they say they are they should work well. Take for instance a fully built 4v cobra can run a 2.3 whipple on 20psi with 20degrees of timing and not rattle on pump gas, a 2v built lightning with the same whipple can only run 10 or 12 degrees of timing on the same setup because those chambers are not nearly as well designed on the 2v's like the 4v heads. Like stated above the hondas have been boosting 12 or 13 to 1 motors for years because the 4 banger heads are designed so well. Its more in the design than the compression itself IMO

DarkMach1

Established Member
+1 on these things handling boost. The honda K20 has seen 400+whp on stock bottom end and that's a car that puts down 185whp stock and have 11:1 compression like the new GT. These GTs' seems to be well built for boost applications with forged steel connecting rods and oil jet cooled pistons.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Forged steel connecting rods? I read that they are Powder forged steel, much like what my Lightning had that was more than happy to throw a rod right through the block. Not doggin the new motor - I think its a huge step for Ford. I just wont be one of the first in line for an aftermarket blower.

But much as DarkMach mentioned, with proper tuning and engine management (babysitting), you can probably throw whatever you want at it!

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
they are forged powdered rods. much stronger than 4.6 rods. but not exactly h-beams.

they dont have the long stroke of the 5.4 so maybe they are a bit longer lived under boost. heck its all speculation for now.

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
i have posted the metallugry previously. powdered metal forged can be stronger than h beams. do a search. it all depends on design strength. only the engineers know what that is. but for similar weight powder forged is stronger in most aspects to 4340 h-beams. metallurgy man. its more than just looking at it in your hand.

what is known is that they have withstood 656rwhp under juice. that makes them WAY stronger than previous ford rods.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
i have posted the metallugry previously. powdered metal forged can be stronger than h beams. do a search. it all depends on design strength. only the engineers know what that is. but for similar weight powder forged is stronger in most aspects to 4340 h-beams. metallurgy man. its more than just looking at it in your hand.

what is known is that they have withstood 656rwhp under juice. that makes them WAY stronger than previous ford rods.

How long has the motor survived at 650rw?

You're defintely right with your assessment though, but if I'm building a motor, PM are not my first choice.

I remember when the CTS-V came out and everyone freaked out over the PM rods. Same goes for the new Viper mil.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The diesel engines in Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks all come with powdered metal rods and they are capable in handling a good amount of power.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The diesel engines in Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks all come with powdered metal rods and they are capable in handling a good amount of power.

...As are the rods in the GT500, and there are quite a few TVS, whipple, and KB cars out there putting 20 psi of reliable boost into those motors... and that's on a LONG stroke 5.4. As a previous poster mentioned, it is more than just material or manufacturing method, but design that effects the overall strength as well.

Users who are viewing this thread