New coupe, fuel related question

nate

Established Member
Hey all. I just bought my next project, a 91 coupe, 5.0 5 speed. It’s definitely a project. I got if off a guy who started to repaint it a couple of years ago and lost the time and interest. He says it ran when he pulled it in the garage, but after sitting it wouldn’t start. Car has a holly systemax intake and heads 1 5/8” equal length shorty headers, x pipe, msd ignition, zex nitrous kit, dual electric fans and an aluminum radiator. I figured for the $2800 even if it needed a shortblock it was worth it for a coupe. He also threw in about $400 in extra parts and tools that were buried inside the car.

Now I that you know about the car here is my dilemma. I checked the fluids, everything looked good. I put a new battery in it and turned the key on. Fuel pump kicked on along with the fans. Tried to start and nothing. It has a fuel pressure gauge installed at the schraeder valve and it read 0 psi. Shot some ether and it started right up then died. I pulled the fuel pressure gauge off just to make sure it worked and no fuel came out if the fuel rail. Now it’s been a long while since it’s messed with a fox, but will a faulty pump still kick on and still not pump fuel. I’m going to check the filter tomorrow just to rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

crazycarlo

Established Member
I would change the filter anyway since it’s
Been sitting. Then look for kinks in the line anywhere. If you can hear the pump kick onnit should Atleast build some pressure.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Also check the fuel pressure regulator. You can pull the vacuum line off and see if it smells like fuel. It shouldn't. Consider buying a kirban one if you need to buy one.

I do have a new walbro 255lph fuel pump I'd sell.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

triple-s

Established Member
Yeah the pump will kick on and not have enough pressure I've experienced this before. But for sure change the filter also look at the screen on the bottom of the pump if it's been sitting that long that thing is probably caked up with crap.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Start with the filter. If it's fine then obviously work your way back and drop the tank.

nate

Established Member
Already dropped the tank. The rubber line off the pump and the pump sock were turned to mush from sitting in 2+ year old fuel. Hopefully I’ll get the new pump in tonight or in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread