New Cobra Owner ?'s

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Hey guys, new to this forum, I just recently canceled my Mark VIII swap and purchased a 01' Mineral Grey Cobra Vert and have a few questions to ask about certain noises im not used to(maybe they shouldnt be there?). So I purchased the car with MM 8 bolt CC plates, Full Weld-In Subframes, aftermarket clutch and flywheel, JLT CAI, Drilled and slotted rotors all around and lowering springs. Now for the noises im not used too...When I get around 3000RPM's in any gear I hear alot of "engine chatter" when I get past the 3000RPM it goes away(or I cant hear it over the exhaust) but anytime before that, nothing. I dont know if the guy put in an aftermarket cam or not, or if that would even matter, just it really bothers me and I dont want to eff up my engine. Another noise is when im braking I hear noise kinda like sch-sch-sch-sch until I stop. Is that just the way these rotors are? And finally, when I go to shift gears, all I do is push the clutch in and before I push it into a gear there is a small but noticable thud. Any idea? Thanks alot for the help to a Cobra Newb, I know some of these might be stupid questions, but I have to learn about Cobras somehow, and my prior GT knowledge will only carry me so far lol:??:

:decepTion:

Established Member
I'm not sure what any of that can be but I do know that I own an 01 cobra and none of those noises you describe sound normal

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
I kinda figured it might not be, I just had to ask, luckily for me im pretty good at taking stuff apart and putting it back together, guess ill have to tear into her this weekend if I get the chance, the hardest thing might be the engine chatter, I really hope it isnt a lasher or lifter gone haywire...that would be a PITA lol

Mach&Roll

Established Member
That sucks man I would have sold ya my cobra none of those noises either. Just a creak as I back out of the drive way from the springs compressing sometimes. Other than that a solid car. Could be an aftermarket clutch or something engages hard and that is the thud or a short throw and now u can just hear the trans better. Either way we need to see some pictures of the beast.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
yeah, im ot so worried about the thud as I am about the engine noise, I really wish i could figure that out without taking the engine apart...

ask and you shall receive...(nothing much yet, but I love her:D)

56c09e230a0a000201c0cb76a0b361d3.jpg

56c0b2ca0a0a000201c0cb76070973fc.jpg

56c0a4650a0a000201c0cb76939ae393.jpg

bluesnake01vert

Established Member
Mine has the clunk too. I think it's the bushings in the IRS. I recently bought the full tilt boogie racing bushing kit but haven't had a chance to install it yet.
I had the thrashing noise in the mid rpms on my GT but it was from the shifter. I bought the special gaskets designed to get rid of the shifter noise but never put em on

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
God that would be awesome if it was just the shifter, I dont like it much anyways the shifts are too close for me, I get nervous when speed shifting lol

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Get a video of the noises. My engine is undergoing a rebuild right and i had some interesting noises as well. When i drove my car at about 3k rpms my car would start making a sound as well but it was a knocking sound. Does yours sound like a knock or tick or what?

Car looks great by the way, i love that color.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
More so a tick, so im hoping on the lasher part, but its pretty noisy, when i get a chance ill try to get a vid of it...And yeah, it happens to be my second favorite color on our bodystyle, Sonic Blue being first

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Comments below.

-Kevin

So I purchased the car with MM 8 bolt CC plates, Full Weld-In Subframes, aftermarket clutch and flywheel, JLT CAI, Drilled and slotted rotors all around and lowering springs.

When I get around 3000RPM's in any gear I hear alot of "engine chatter" sounds like valve train noise

Another noise is when im braking I hear noise kinda like sch-sch-sch-sch until I stop. Is that just the way these rotors are? it is the rotors. or possibly pad material transfered to the rotors unevenly. take the car out and re-bed the pads. Do a couple of 60-20 non, lock up stops, then one or two 100-20 non, lock up starts and then drive it for a mile or so without touching the brakes. That may clear up any uneven material. If the noise still persists, it is due to the drilled and slotted rotors which are only good for street bling bling anyway.

And finally, when I go to shift gears, all I do is push the clutch in and before I push it into a gear there is a small but noticable thud. Any idea? sounds like some play in the IRS bushings. live with it or get in touch with fulltiltboogieracing, aka Bruce.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think brkntrxn got it all. My brakes made the same noises with the ceramic pads. I switched to Brembo pads and now they squeal a little right before stopping. The thud is probably the famous IRS clunk.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Comments below.

-Kevin

Cool sounds good, Im gonna be really upset if the engine noise is valve train issues and as for the thud, it sounds more like its coming from right below me, not so much near the rear-end, but you're prolly right, especially if this is a common IRS problem, thanks alot for your help man. Im gonna have to dig into the engine and see if I can find anything, with these 4V engines being so easy to get too, is it possible to remove the valve covers without pulling the engine?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Keep in mind that the timing chains in these cars are very long and there are ton of components in the valve train. The 4.6 inherently makes more noise than a typical motor. That said, are you sure the noise is not a knocking coming from the bottom end?

You can also check your u-joints to see if there is any slop in them, but u-joints going bad is pretty much unheard of on these cars.

Yes, it is possible to pull the valve covers, but you will have to loosen and rotate the brake master cylinder to get the driver's side off. There are write-ups on here in the How-To section or somewhere, just search for them.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
Keep in mind that the timing chains in these cars are very long and there are ton of components in the valve train. The 4.6 inherently makes more noise than a typical motor. That said, are you sure the noise is not a knocking coming from the bottom end?

You can also check your u-joints to see if there is any slop in them, but u-joints going bad is pretty much unheard of on these cars.

Yes, it is possible to pull the valve covers, but you will have to loosen and rotate the brake master cylinder to get the driver's side off. There are write-ups on here in the How-To section or somewhere, just search for them.

Honestly I havent really had the chance to look into the noise yet, ive been so busy with work and the family, but this weekend wil be prime time for me to really take a gander. Ill try and see if i can find those write-ups, thanks for the heads up!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Thud? Likely dreaded cobra "Clunk" when putting the car into gear.. USually due to the rear differential moving because of the crappy rubber bushings out back in the rear differential.

The clunk is not a big deal with normal driving, but if you are thinking of doing a lot of track duty or increasing the RWHP, then a bushing swap may be smart.

Users who are viewing this thread