New Cobra Owner need some advice.

Stevo306nc

Established Member
I have a chance to buy a gen 1 2.2 KENNE bell polished with the catch can. He is asking 2500$ the blower looks like it could be polished up not in perfect shape. Not sure on the miles on the blower either. What's a fair price for the gen 1 2.2KB?

Stevo306nc

Established Member
Congrats OP, I just got an 04 as well just has a catback. Still to quiet imo and I will be removing the hood liner and doing an o/r mid pipe. Eventually an upper only and try to make 450ish. I think a lot of these guys don't get the excitement of the blower whine. That's the only thing I really miss about my gt500 with the m122. Went TVs then whipple each getting more quiet. I'm on my second coyote car and you can't even hear the blower until 6500 rpms. I know they are more efficient now but there is just something about hearing that whine with the exhaust grumble in the back. I will say this to imo these cars feel a lot more loose at high hp then the newer cars. Not as many nannies to keep you between the dotted lines. Just something else to keep in mind. I'm sure with a few thousand in suspension work it might not feel that way but I don't want to get carried away with this car either. Mods don't equal a lot of return on your investment.

I just removed the headliner and cut the bottom of the hood vents off underneath. Definitely increased the sound you hear from the charger. I still have the stock intake waiting on my JLT to come in the mail this weekend. I will let you know if that makes a bigger difference in sound like everyone says.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats OP, I just got an 04 as well just has a catback. Still to quiet imo and I will be removing the hood liner and doing an o/r mid pipe. Eventually an upper only and try to make 450ish. I think a lot of these guys don't get the excitement of the blower whine. That's the only thing I really miss about my gt500 with the m122. Went TVs then whipple each getting more quiet. I'm on my second coyote car and you can't even hear the blower until 6500 rpms. I know they are more efficient now but there is just something about hearing that whine with the exhaust grumble in the back. I will say this to imo these cars feel a lot more loose at high hp then the newer cars. Not as many nannies to keep you between the dotted lines. Just something else to keep in mind. I'm sure with a few thousand in suspension work it might not feel that way but I don't want to get carried away with this car either. Mods don't equal a lot of return on your investment.
I totally get why some folks really dig the louder blower whine. I was one of them when I had my '03 Cobra. I also remember when I switched to an original Gatorback blower belt and it had a subtle but noticeable ProCharger type whine. I LOVED it. So much so that I rarely listened to the radio. I just got immersed in the belt whine at normal RPMs, and the blower whine at higher RPMs. Heaven!!
upload_2021-6-24_7-38-28.png

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I'm a big factory Eaton guy as the folks who know me on here are probably sick and tired of! lol Not difficult to get the Eaton to 500 RWHP and low 11's in the quarter mile, or high 10's with the right prep and driving ability. Getting to 550 can be done with high boost, headers, cams, and tuning. Or E85 if you want to go that route. These guys generally can hit mid 10's if they're aggressive with their setups. Takes nitrous to hit 600 RHWP with these cars. And here you get your low 10's at the track, and even a high 9 occasionally. Two guys have hit 600 without nitrous, but took a combination of factors, (and maybe friendly dynos...) to get those numbers.

Certainly easier and more efficient to hit bigger numbers with an aftermarket blower. But just wanted to comment on the abilities of the factory Eaton.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My gen2 2.3 absolutely screams at 22psi, there's nothing quiet about it with the 2.6 upper pulley. So, over 700 wheel + scream = winning

I think a lot of aftermarket blowers get labeled "quiet" because they're never spun up past 18psi (saddled by shitty pump gas). No matter what blower you choose.....get it on E85 and spin that sucker to the moon. You'll get all kinds of wonderful sounds.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think any blower would be screaming at over 20psi. Sadly no e85 around here or even 93oct. Got to just spin my little eaton on 91.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a stock Steggy ported Eaton if you really want one.

I’m a big fan of my Gen 2 TVS 2.3. It makes power and whines like a Terminator should whine. Even with cams and long tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TP03

Established Member
I have to agree... aftermarket blowers can whine. My TVS has plenty of whine at 17 psi. Can't wait to get her on corn and bump it up to 21psi. It's a slippery slope but my vote is ditch the eaton.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have to agree... aftermarket blowers can whine. My TVS has plenty of whine at 17 psi. Can't wait to get her on corn and bump it up to 21psi. It's a slippery slope but my vote is ditch the eaton.

E85 is the ticket! You won’t stop grinning when driving it for the first time on E85.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm a big factory Eaton guy as the folks who know me on here are probably sick and tired of! lol Not difficult to get the Eaton to 500 RWHP and low 11's in the quarter mile, or high 10's with the right prep and driving ability. Getting to 550 can be done with high boost, headers, cams, and tuning. Or E85 if you want to go that route. These guys generally can hit mid 10's if they're aggressive with their setups. Takes nitrous to hit 600 RHWP with these cars. And here you get your low 10's at the track, and even a high 9 occasionally. Two guys have hit 600 without nitrous, but took a combination of factors, (and maybe friendly dynos...) to get those numbers.

Certainly easier and more efficient to hit bigger numbers with an aftermarket blower. But just wanted to comment on the abilities of the factory Eaton.
GREAT post, Dwight! Spot on!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was pretty certain you knew that. My post was more for anyone who might not know much about E-85 and it's local availability restrictions. Sucks that E-85 isn't available to everyone within driving distance.

Bronco2Fan

Established Member
It's your car, do what you wish. Just remember it's only original once. That's the main reason I haven't found one yet that appeals to me. Too many Cobra's modified to the owners taste. And they don't keep the original parts. Especially if yours wasn't abused.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It's your car, do what you wish. Just remember it's only original once. That's the main reason I haven't found one yet that appeals to me. Too many Cobra's modified to the owners taste. And they don't keep the original parts. Especially if yours wasn't abused.

Valid points here. But man it’s fun slamming gears in an E85, high boost Terminator!

Stevo306nc

Established Member

I am keeping all the original parts stored. But I am never selling it. It will be with me till I die. Just wanted a good platform to start one that wasn't abused and I paid 9k less than what it's worth

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
What stage Stag?

I’m not really sure. I have yet to pull it out and look at it. I haven’t laid eyes on it in a couple of years. It’s been sitting in my basement in a box since 2018.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll want to spend some time cleaning a detailing the engine bay. Looks like the previous owner didn't pay it much attention. Once cleaned up, it's going to look NICE!

Users who are viewing this thread