Established Member
Installed the following:
Exedy Racing flywheel
Exedy Mach 600 grooved clutch w/throw out bearing
SR Performance clutch line
Steeda transmission mount bushing
Barton shifter
FORD Performance one piece driveshaft

So here is my back story. I had the dreaded lockout which was so frustrating. The clutch pedal stayed sucked to the floor and I was helpless getting it to shift until engine rpms came down and the clutch released. I had a Steeda shifter and I removed the assist spring to no avail. Then I added 315 Toyos which the stock clutch was no match for. Now for the fix. I’m really surprised how smooth the clutch is. If you try to feather the clutch like the stock clutch it will chatter since it’s a ceramic clutch. So when sitting at a light that your going up hill you just have to wait until traffic pulls off and engage the clutch with a little extra gas so your not trying to slip the clutch. Just have to see if it gets better over time. The clutch is noticeably stiffer but not as noticeable when sitting in California traffic. I wish I maybe still had the assist spring in. The clutch engagement is also in a different spot so it’s just a matter of getting used to it. I haven’t really got in it hard but even just getting a little sporty with the throttle I can tell the tires have meet their match. I still have a bit before I do some redline shifts to see if the lockout is gone. The Barton shifter is a really nice piece. The throw feels a little bit longer than the Steeda shifter but it feels better. The engagement in each gear feels better.....or should I say finding each gear feels better. I also added the Steeda version transmission mount bushing. I don’t know if that will make any difference at all but I was under there at the same time why not, I couldn’t hurt. The shifter also feels different now that it is transmission mounted instead of body mounted. I also installed a FORD Performance one piece driveshaft. Over all I have to say that the car feels like it has a bit more power under acceleration. I’m sure that the flywheel and driveshaft account for some of that. I can’t wait to get breaking done so I can see what she can do now.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Not sure what RPM you are shifting at but if you are revving high dont be surprised to encounter high RPM lockout issues. The only real fix for high RPM lockout is a twin disc, it seems almost all single disc clutch setups suffer.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Not sure what RPM you are shifting at but if you are revving high dont be surprised to encounter high RPM lockout issues. The only real fix for high RPM lockout is a twin disc, it seems almost all single disc clutch setups suffer.
Didn't realize twin disc was the solution but I can attest to the high rpm lockout, still an occasional issue with my exedy stage 3.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
Twin disk is not the only solution. Single disks will works fine solving the issue as long as it’s a quality clutch and that’s an upgrade from stock. Single disk aftermarket clutches inherently have stiffer spring pressures than twin disks. It’s the spring pressure of the stock clutch that is overcome by centrifugal force once you press the clutch in that is the problem. Any good quality aftermarket clutch either single or dual disk will do. Now that my clutch is broken in I did a few redline pulls today and there was zero issues.

5.0Black

Established Member
Twin disk is not the only solution. Single disks will works fine solving the issue as long as it’s a quality clutch and that’s an upgrade from stock. Single disk aftermarket clutches inherently have stiffer spring pressures than twin disks. It’s the spring pressure of the stock clutch that is overcome by centrifugal force once you press the clutch in that is the problem. Any good quality aftermarket clutch either single or dual disk will do. Now that my clutch is broken in I did a few redline pulls today and there was zero issues.
Yea from what I have read 3rd gear lockout is resolved with a good quality shifter unit and clutch.

Congrats on the new parts OP! I actually replaced similar stuff on my car (different ds, shifter and etc) but the same parts had to go lol. I too am waiting for the break in period to be done so I can fully enjoy my car.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I’m finally through my break-in period and I took her out this weekend and did a few pulls. Zero look out issues. It’s like a completely different car now being able to redline 1st and 2nd. I never realized how much my stock clutch was slipping with the new tires. Even with 315s I’m breaking loose in 2nd at WOT. The street and my driveway at home is pretty steep as well as a lot of streets in SD and the clutch will try to chatter if you let off the pedal slowly. You just have to give it the right about it gas and engage the clutch faster than you normally would. Having the clutch bite so hard with a ceramic puck style clutch plate is just something to get used to. There’s no slipping the clutch. That may go away in time. The clutch feel is still kinda stiff but just a little more than stock. If I were to put the assist spring back in it would probably feel like the stick clutch without the spring. But overall I really like how it feels now. One thing I have noticed is that I feel like she has more power. Maybe the right way to put it seems like there a good deal more power. I’m sure the one piece driveshaft and the new flywheel has something to do with that but I’m surprised how much it translates into the seat in the pants feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread