New Carbon Fiber Components for 2020+ GT500 Mustang Available from Ford Performance Parts

New Carbon Fiber Components for 2020+ GT500 Mustang Available from Ford Performance Parts

2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_003.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., April 16, 2021 – Ford Performance Parts today revealed four new aftermarket carbon fiber components for the exterior of the Mustang Shelby® GT500®.

Showcased at a GT500 track tour event at Texas International Speedway outside Dallas, the parts are the first aftermarket carbon fiber accessories offered by Ford Performance for the pinnacle pony car since the latest-generation GT500 debuted last year. All four components go on sale today at performanceparts.ford.com.

The new easy-to-install carbon fiber Ford Performance Parts, parts numbers and MSRPs are:

• Hood vent and rain tray kit, M-16612-C20, $1,185
  • Front splitter with belly pan for placement at car’s lower, forward-leading edge and under section, M-16601-MCF, $1,820
  • Front bumper insert that fits between car’s upper and lower grille intakes, M-17750-MCF, $1,150
  • Rear decklid trim panel, M-16600-MCF, $575
“Authenticity and personalization are what our Mustang Shelby GT500 customers want, and our new carbon fiber performance accessories provide an elevated track-proven look from every angle,” said Mark Wilson, Ford North America vehicle personalization, planning and operations manager. “Beyond leveraging this high-performance material to reduce weight, we track-tested and validated its durability at Ford Performance Racing School in North Carolina.”

Each carbon fiber component delivers high strength and rigidity with low-specific weight and is crafted to withstand the high-energy forces generated by competition at the track or drag strip.

The weight of the carbon fiber hood vent and rain tray kit is trimmed to four pounds – half the weight of the corresponding stock part. The front splitter with belly pan drops from seven pounds to four, the front bumper insert weighs just one pound, and the decklid trim panel weighs two pounds. Combined, the pieces weigh nine pounds less than the stock components.

The new parts provide additional authentic carbon fiber options for Shelby GT500 buyers. They are separate from components offered as part of the Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Package, which includes 20-inch carbon fiber wheels, exposed carbon fiber instrument panel and GT4 track wing, splitter wickers and more.

2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_003.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_001.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_002.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_006.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_008.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_013.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_014.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_015.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_007.jpg
2020_GT500_Carbon_Fiber_009.jpg

Sadly, the product description for each part lists China as the country of origin. The CFTP wing is manufactured in China and I sense these pieces are coming from the same company.

So -9lbs(had to add 2lbs for the rear trim panel) at $4,730 retail price. Taking a large dump and removing the floor mats probably shaves more weight.

Do they offer any performance parts for these things yet through the Ford Performance network?

From FP? I kind of doubt it. If anything, a tune/filter but FP seems to have shied away as of late from even doing this. They normally add a Borla exhaust system to their catalog but that they haven't done that yet either.

Parts look nice.
To me CF has always been a difficult balancing act.
Meaning, you have to have a plan or it looks out of place; either not enough or too much.
The CFTP went a huge step forward with exposed CF wheels, so the CFTP cars should look killer with these parts to complete the package.
-J

From FP? I kind of doubt it. If anything, a tune/filter but FP seems to have shied away as of late from even doing this. They normally add a Borla exhaust system to their catalog but that they haven't done that yet either.
Really a complement to FP to say there’s not much low hanging fruit left to improve, yet the car really responds to mods.
Or is it the increased stringent nature of the EPA?
Probably somewhere in between.
-J

They obtained EO numbers in the past but are making no attempt now. Tells me they are spending all their efforts on electrification and letting go of their ICE efforts.

They obtained EO numbers in the past but are making no attempt now. Tells me they are spending all their efforts on electrification and letting go of their ICE efforts.
Unfortunately you are correct.
There are still a few good ICE performance guys at Ford, but that is dwindling or they’re being pushed out or out voted.
I spoke to a few regarding the Drag Pack they had ready for the last 2 GT500s :(
Oh well, I’ll build my own as usual.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread