New car. Let's go racing. Boogity Boogity

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Picked this car up a couple of weekends ago. Drove 10 hours one way to North Carolina. I think I got a fair deal on it. Griggs sla front and Griggs watts link and torque arm out back. Tiger Racing carbon fiber body panels everywhere doors forward. Former Texas champion.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406062637.375728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406062648.867580.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406062658.279625.jpg

And this is my view the whole way home. I had a shit eating grin on my face the whole way home.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406062746.318612.jpg

Five.Oh

Established Member
Nice buy, What class was it competitive in? and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Competitive in American Iron. There is a for sale thread on the nasa forums. That will give you idea what I paid.

The thing runs pretty rough on cold start. I have to keep it running with my foot. Any ideas? Idles at 1400rpm when it finally warms up.

There is also a tick underneath the driver side valve cover. Gonna pull the vc and see what's up.

The fan relay also took a shit today just idling in the garage. The hot lead running to the fan is burnt up. Why would it do that? There is two hot leads running into the fan relay. Looks like one goes to the switch and the other goes to the ecu. Does the ecu need to see the fan running to operate? If it doesn't see the fan, does the ecu then kill the motor?

Last edited:

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Never mind on the relay. The relay burned up and ruined the relay. My research says I gonna need a 60amp repay.

Still not sure why the engine would just shut off.

Last edited:

Established Member
Now I see why you are letting a car as nice as your 97 go. Great purchase. I'm in Monticello every few weeks. Like to see the new car sometime.

Steve

Five.Oh

Established Member
Nice buy again, Rough running on cold start could a few things.*Hard to say what could be causing your problem with out seeing the car. Hope you get it all figured out soon. Post some videos when you get that baby on the track?

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Nice car - I looked at that a couple times on the NASA forums. He put some nice parts on there.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Great looking car. Congrats. Come to Road America next weekend for the NASA event and wring that bad boy out. I will be there running AI.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Nice buy again, Rough running on cold start could a few things.*Hard to say what could be causing your problem with out seeing the car. Hope you get it all figured out soon. Post some videos when you get that baby on the track?

I haven't had a bunch of time to look at it. I remember something from my days of working as a service department about ignition control modules going bad and producing the same kind of random engine dieing on Ford Windsor engines. I think they even had a recall for this very problem. The one on there looks pretty crusty. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just swap it out anyways.

I like it. What region will you compete in?

That is a very good question. I live equally close to about 3, Midsouth, Midwest, and Great Lakes. I'll probably make Midwest my primary because of the car count. But the Midsouth region is a bunch of good guys and I hear rumors of them going to the Corvette track next year. I've been looking forward to that track for a while. I'll do comp school with them either in October or December. Then next year I'll run as much as the budget allows for.

Great looking car. Congrats. Come to Road America next weekend for the NASA event and wring that bad boy out. I will be there running AI.

I had every intention of being there with the black car. But I have been assigned to work out of town for a week and a half starting next Friday. Kind of a bummer since so many cars will be there. I am also not convinced RA is the track to shake down a new car. My friend Jeremy will be there in the 3rd gen Camaro running AI. I can't wait to get a full report!!

Bruce, do you run consistently with one region?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I had every intention of being there with the black car. But I have been assigned to work out of town for a week and a half starting next Friday. Kind of a bummer since so many cars will be there. I am also not convinced RA is the track to shake down a new car. My friend Jeremy will be there in the 3rd gen Camaro running AI. I can't wait to get a full report!!

Bruce, do you run consistently with one region?

I rarely run NASA events as I have not run one since 2011. But I have the Boss 302S now and I figured I'd take another swing at it just for shits and giggles. Open track events and driver education is more in line with the events I enjoy most.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
The valve train had a significant tap on the driver side. I had never messed with a Windsor engine before, but talking with others and reading the interwebs, everyone made it sound pretty user friendly. Crane Cams has a pretty good write up. http://www.cranecams.com/faqview.php?s_id=41

I dove in. Took the intake off and then the valve covers. I found the exhaust rocker on cylinder number 7 was loose. I went ahead and reset the preload on every rocker arm. I figured it be good piece of mind and know that it's right. The old gaskets were in pretty rough so I put new Felpro gaskets on. The engine started right up. It usually takes a couple spins of the engine to fire up. I have a suspicion that the were adjusted too tight and the valves weren't fully closing.

I also started keeping a log of all the parts that are on the car. Since I didn't build the car, it's interesting to know what's what. Does anyone know what rockers these are? The only marks are "1.6". No part number.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406974411.005703.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406974419.807302.jpg

I have a theory why the car just dies. TFI is crusty. I'm betting that's the culprit. When I get back home I'll dig into that.

Users who are viewing this thread