New California smog laws with CARB legal TVS blower

Blwnova

Established Member
I have a Roush TVS blower on a 2014 Mustang. It has multiple mods including a return style fuel system and e85. It has an AED tune currently and i need to smog the car this year for the first time. I bought the blower kit used without the original Roush tune. Has anyone here in california had an issue smogging their car with the new rule being no aftermarket ecu modifications? I have all the original CARB legal parts for the blower and the EO sticker. I was thinking of having a Roush dealer flash my ecu with the original roush tune after removing all my mods but was wondering if there was a way to reflash my AED tune afterwords or will the roush tune lock out my ecu and prevent me from retuning it. I already spoke with Shaun at AED and he hasn't had any customers experience this yet.

efurlong

Established Member
I feel bad for CA residents that actually work. It's amazing how much CA has changed over the last 30 years or so. I personally would not put up with the BS. I'd 100% move to a red state. Absolutely nothing would make me want to stay there.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The Roush tune is probably set up for a returnless fuel system. You won't be able to run it with the return set up. Are you able to make sure all the monitors are set before you go?

My buddy left the Diablo tune in his car when he got it smogged. But it was an 07 Charger. I don't think it kept track of flashes like the new stuff.

Adower

Established Member
I have a Roush TVS blower on a 2014 Mustang. It has multiple mods including a return style fuel system and e85. It has an AED tune currently and i need to smog the car this year for the first time. I bought the blower kit used without the original Roush tune. Has anyone here in california had an issue smogging their car with the new rule being no aftermarket ecu modifications? I have all the original CARB legal parts for the blower and the EO sticker. I was thinking of having a Roush dealer flash my ecu with the original roush tune after removing all my mods but was wondering if there was a way to reflash my AED tune afterwords or will the roush tune lock out my ecu and prevent me from retuning it. I already spoke with Shaun at AED and he hasn't had any customers experience this yet.
If you have an aftermarket tune outside of a OEM tune you WILL fail smog.

Stangra

Established Member
In this thread for any info. I also have a 2014 with CARB legal Roush kit & EO sticker, tuned for E85 by Shaun at AED. I still have the returnless fuel system. I can change back my injectors & pulley, remove the BAP & flash the Roush CARB tune. I too want to know if just having the tune flashed to the ECU from a SCTX4 rather than Roush will get me flagged. And what happens with my SCT and E85 tune if I need Roush to reflash the ECU?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you have the tuner i say put the stock fuel system back on and all the carb legal parts. Flash the stock tune and then get the Roush legal tune. Then make sure to drive the vehicle to set all the monitors. Pass smog then you can put your parts back on and flash your AED tune again.

Stangra

Established Member
I feel bad for CA residents that actually work. It's amazing how much CA has changed over the last 30 years or so. I personally would not put up with the BS. I'd 100% move to a red state. Absolutely nothing would make me want to stay there.
Ahh, another red state/blue state dig... But from Massachusetts???

Listen, a lot of us CA residents are very unhappy with the 'state' of things here too. Appreciate the sympathy but not much of a solution to the question. And it's too easy to say what you would or wouldn't put up with or do about it when you're not faced with the situation yourself (yet). A lot of us have jobs, family, friends, and other "roots" to consider before moving over a smog check. Of course there are a bunch of other reasons to wanna leave here, but that isn't on point in this thread. Which red state will you be moving too soon?:

efurlong

Established Member
No...moved to FL. Bought a house in Saint Augustine. I left for woke & tax reasons.
BTW...we don't have any vehicle emission inspections in FL.
No income tax, no vehicle excise tax, no vehicle inspections of any kind, etc.
Lot's of freedom in FL.

Last edited:

efurlong

Established Member
Just changed my profile...Florida.
BTW...in my area, many gas stations sell ethanol free gas, which I run exclusively in my Harley. 90 octane.

Stangra

Established Member
No...moved to FL. Bought a house in Saint Augustine. I left for woke & tax reasons.
BTW...we don't have any inspections whatsoever in FL.
No income tax, no vehicle excise tax, no vehicle inspection stickers, etc.
Lot's of freedom in FL.
Ok, fair enough. I plan on leaving CA in a couple years too, unfortunately my emissions inspection will be due in August :mad:

efurlong

Established Member
Man...I used to love CA so much. Visited and had the best times...many times.
As Cheech and Chong was said "not any more man".
What a shame. As President Trump boldly stated "everything woke turns to shit".
Which is provable.

decipha

Established Member
Stock is a return style fuel system so no problem there.

Its best to smog it with e85.

Thats not a new rule at all. Any ecu modifications has always been an emissions violation. CA is just enforcing it more in depth now.

Yes you can write a roush cal to her and write your tune over it no problem.

Your going to need an advanced shop that has direct flashing abilities. Using hptuners or sct to flash any tune will result in a referee and fail emissions testing.

If you get in a bind LMK and you can ship your ecu to me and I can flash a stock carb legal roush cal to it.

Stangra

Established Member
A return style system is not stock

Thats not a new rule at all. Any ecu modifications has always been an emissions violation. CA is just enforcing it more in depth now.
Since it takes a ECU modification to run e85 how do these 2 statements reconcile?

Blwnova

Established Member

Yes you can write a roush cal to her and write your tune over it no problem.

Your going to need an advanced shop that has direct flashing abilities. Using hptuners or sct to flash any tune will result in a referee and fail emissions testing.

If you get in a bind LMK and you can ship your ecu to me and I can flash a stock carb legal roush cal to it.
Thank you for the info. How much do you charge for the service of sending you my ecu? Also what would I need to do if I take off my supercharger when I sell my car in the future and I need the stock tune back? Would I have to tow it to the dealer for a reflash?

decipha

Established Member
stangra, the 11-17 coyotes have a "mechanical returnless" fuel system. It functions exactly the same as a return style system its only called returnless because they mount the fuel pressure regulator in the tank so the return line is inside the tank. There is no fuel pressure sensor thus the ecu has no control of fuel pressure thus it cannot modulate fuel pump voltage like in an actual returnless setup. Before the coyotes existed I used to do the same thing on the older foxbodies so I wouldnt have the run a return line all the way from the front.

But yeah you simply write a stock roush e85 cal to it. Before you say there isnt one its just that you arent aware of it.

Just like a stock 03/04 cobra automatic tune... just because it wasnt a production cal doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Shoot me an email and we can discuss what all needs to happen and pricing and all that. I need all the specifics.

Ford 5 Liter

In this thread for any info. I also have a 2014 with CARB legal Roush kit & EO sticker, tuned for E85 by Shaun at AED. I still have the returnless fuel system. I can change back my injectors & pulley, remove the BAP & flash the Roush CARB tune. I too want to know if just having the tune flashed to the ECU from a SCTX4 rather than Roush will get me flagged. And what happens with my SCT and E85 tune if I need Roush to reflash the ECU?
Basically in the same boat here. How did you end up passing? Will the car pass by flashing to the roush file saved on the sctx4? Of course after the proper drive cycle and such. Thanks.

old_svt_95

Also make sure you find a good smog station with knowledgeable staff. The 2 I goto are cars guys as well (found one also runs a import shop for boosted WRXs too), so they know the data gov't is "really" looking for and give you the best ways to be legit. They exist, but yes, are hard to find.

Just returning to emission components (incl the fuel system) and ECU usually do it, basically nothing that trips the ecu codes. ODB2 sucks cause of the checksum stuff where as my ODB1 tune is 75% modified and still passes just swapping to stock MAF and H pipe. Big reason why I'm now hesitating to going to an OBD2 car.

SEMA's (even Leno's) been working on some relief to this for enthusiasts, hopefully they make headway soon.

Users who are viewing this thread