new build track times and clutch woes

harvboi05

Established Member
im still learning a lot so id like some help with breaking down my time slips. im not even sure if i can get the information im looking for, but its worth a shot.

two seasons ago, stock block, 225 15" drag radials (25.7"), 3.73s, wore out trac lok, and 3.5 blower pulley i cut these times. weight was roughly 3260 w/o me if i can remember correctly. on the last run the stock clutch slipped when i hit second gear:

IMAG0313.jpg

fast fwd two years. i have a 9:1 281ci forged teksid, 255 50 17 (27") street radials, a rebuilt trac lock and 3.73s, 2.9 blower pulley, and a pegged [email protected]. so the car is making some decent power. i built the car with a spec stg1 clutch so if need be the clutch would slip instead of popping the stock t45; im not shifting very fast either... 45min between run 1 and 2, 1.25hr between run 2 and 3. the car now has tubular front end, rear control arms and kyb adj struts set to second softest. weight was 3115 w/o me. these are the times i managed with the car reeking of clutch every run:

20120829+track+slips.jpg

bottom line, im disappointed with the 123 trap. i was hoping for ~130. car picked up almost 30mph in the back half even with the slippage. but the front half was slower than the stock setup. the DA was definitely better on the stock block runs but they weren't bad for the built runs, ambiet temp was ~70 and altitude is roughly 500 above sea level. same track as prior runs. how much trap is the clutch costing me? anyone got any suggestions for a clutch/tranny that is good for street/strip use that doesnt cost 4k? ha.

should i bother being concerned about this til i get a real clutch? am i missing anything?

thanks guys.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Looks like your 60's were worse on the new setup and that is where you are losing the ET. Sounds like you need to upgrade your tranny setup and get a good clutch to hold the power too. I would wait and get the clutch with the tranny as you will most likely be getting a 26-spline input shaft and would need the clutch to go with it.

harvboi05

Established Member
that was the tentative plan, do the clutch and tranny at once. just need to pick a direction and go with it. i just hope the slipping clutch in the current setup can account for at least 6mph in top end trap..

Users who are viewing this thread