New Boss 5.0 Stroker build for boost...

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Get the snub on or the whipple adjustable idler and it will be good.

Not to throw a wrench into your thoughts…my blower was leaking boost at the blower-to-manifold gasket. Here is the video. I noticed similar symptoms as you, although my boost seemed to be lower than expected through the rpm range. Very little belt residue to assume belt slip for mine.

Yours seems to be belt slip…

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
It looks like a JLT RAI. I don't think it's as much of an issue as companies like to make it out to be. Granted things a little different for him since he's dealing with a bigger engine. But my buddy and I have the same combos except he has the high boost and I have the RAI. We make the same amount of boost so I don't think the RAI is a restriction. At least at our levels.
C&L CAI

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
My money is on belt slip. I would look into a 3" griptec pulley and a snub. I really like my Whipple snub idler, you might not even need the griptec with that piece? Plenty of wrap contact with the Whipple.
Whipple snub idler... Looks like that the one to get... I'm on it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have the Whipple snub idler as well. I really like it.

I was curious about the cams because I have Ford GT cams in the garage. I ran them in my engine and they worked well.

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
I have the Whipple snub idler as well. I really like it.

I was curious about the cams because I have Ford GT cams in the garage. I ran them in my engine and they worked well.
I often wonder how much more power the ford GT cams would be worth. I would love to run a more aggressive cam shaft but would like to maintain good drivability. For now, my goal is to maximize my combination on stock cobra cams.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I often wonder how much more power the ford GT cams would be worth. I would love to run a more aggressive cam shaft but would like to maintain good drivability. For now, my goal is to maximize my combination on stock cobra cams.
My thinking was that they were designed for a 5.4L and I was running a 5.3L. Plus at the time my car was still mostly smog legal and I wanted it to keep passing. I've toyed with the idea of throwing them in my 4.6, but that's a lot of work I don't feel like doing.

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
My thinking was that they were designed for a 5.4L and I was running a 5.3L. Plus at the time my car was still mostly smog legal and I wanted it to keep passing. I've toyed with the idea of throwing them in my 4.6, but that's a lot of work I don't feel like doing.
Mann, I wish we had this conversation back when the motor was on my engine stand. I would have bought them from you. But like you said it's a lot of work at this stage of the game

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Mann, I wish we had this conversation back when the motor was on my engine stand. I would have bought them from you. But like you said it's a lot of work at this stage of the game
Lol. That's usually how it goes. If it helps I wouldn't have sold them. I want the option when the time comes to build my motor.

hatchke

Established Member
So, two things it could be belt slip

Or like MG0h3 said that CAI I have may be like sucking through a straw.

Numbers fell short
660 hp @ 5200
709 TQ @ 4200

I would of like to see 700 if boost would stay at 20 psi
I will work on that for sure.
MBSVT

That TORQUE though. You made +70tq over my setup and I was only make 615-620hp at 5200 at a full 20psi. You're going to absolutely crush that 700 mark on 20psi. My power curve jumped +70hp between 5200 and 6200, where I started to break up a little bit (probably due to plug gap).

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Ford GT cams are worth nothing over stock '03 cobra cams. Your best bet would be to acquire 96-98 Cobra cams.

Users who are viewing this thread