new best in the Hellcat, and ZL1 eats some humble pie

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The first track outing in the HC netted a best of 10.9 @ 127. That was October 29th in State Capital raceway in Baton Rouge. Temps in the 50's with low humidity.

Saturday 11/11 @ No Problem raceway temps started 74 dropped to 65, 70% humidity. Stats on car. 2016 Hellcat Charger. 305/35/20 555r's on factory wheels, K&N CAI. First track outing I ran the tires at 25 on3 passes it hooked, 2 it didn't. This time out I put them at 20psi. ZL1 comes into the equation as I'm talking to a friend that owns an older Z06(04). The guy with the ZL1 comes up and he knows my friend. He states to ZL1 this is the guy with the HC. First words out of mr. ZL1 is that he destroys Hellcats all the time. He races at DaPad in New Orleans and has no problem with them. He goes on and on about how his 18 ZL1 10sp auto is the best car ever made and goes 201 mph. I say nothing. I'll let my car do the talking. Unfortunately we don't ever get to line up as I'm running regular bracket and he's running Chevy Bracket(this is Super Chevy race). I don't have his timeslips only what was announced over the PA.

My passes:
1st pass
60ft 1.626
1/8 7.086 @ 101.03
1/4 10.966 @ 126.09

2nd pass:
60ft 1.624
1/8 7.042 @ 101.94
1/4 10.906 @ 126.72

3rd pass
60ft 1.620
1/8 7.031 @ 102.02
1/4 10.892 @ 126.91

18 10sp ZL1 passes: 11.74, 11.95, and a 12.08 @ 122. I went up to him later on how his night was going......I didn't rub it in, just walked away.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like the ZL1 guy didnt know his ass from his elbow.

Goobers on badass cars still get goober results.

Too bad no video.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Dont get too cocky with that Hellcat, the cars are beasts but a new ZL1 or a Trinity can still bust dat ass tho! :D

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Dont get too cocky with that Hellcat, the cars are beasts but a new ZL1 or a Trinity can still bust dat ass tho! :D

I'll run a stock/tire only Trinity or ZL1. Problem is that it's too easy to tune a GM or Ford, so who know's if tuned or not?

I do have one vid from the first track day, but don't know how to host from my phone.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah... its hard to trust people. I made a thread on Hellcat.org looking for a stock hellcat to run... 2 different guys interested in running. Both said "stock hellcat", both were modded. Lol

Im dying to race a stock hellcat, although Im not stock anymore. Got me some 555Rs and a new air filter element. Stock filter was filthy.

Ran into this car in the highway but guy would not play.

IMG_9942.JPG

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Like all these PD cars, how fast you go largely depends on whether or not you can keep IAT and IAT2 under control.

That guy on Youtube that changes cars every 8 months, RP Productions, just bought a brand new left over 2016 Challenger HC and proceeded to run multiple 11 second passes at 120-122 mph. Was warm outside, go figure.

I personally saw a HC Challenger at my local track go 119 mph with the 8 spd auto. Same day, my twin turbo Coyote manual tras car went 10.9@131 on 9 lbs of boost.

Shit.. first time I raced my tune/pulley/intake GT500 it went 117 mph and I was PISSED! Was 90* outside, but I still thought it should have trapped at least 120 mph.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Yeah... its hard to trust people. I made a thread on Hellcat.org looking for a stock hellcat to run... 2 different guys interested in running. Both said "stock hellcat", both were modded. Lol

Im dying to race a stock hellcat, although Im not stock anymore. Got me some 555Rs and a new air filter element. Stock filter was filthy.

Ran into this car in the highway but guy would not play.

View attachment 1444523

If you were closer I'd be down. If you want to come out to the events I listed in the other thread hit me up.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
da fuq??

why?

- Rules.

- You pay to sit in line for hours and get a run or two.

- You punish your drive train more so than the on the street. More chance of damaging / wearing shit out prematurely.

- Unless you do suspension work and tire, car wont shine / reward you as much.

- Not as fun.

- Rules.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
lol none of that applies at track rentals and basic suspension work is all these cars need to hook and one can drive on the street with DR's like he uses at the track.

I enjoy both the track and the hi way. I especially like punishing the street bikes..... :p

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
- Rules.

- You pay to sit in line for hours and get a run or two.

- You punish your drive train more so than the on the street. More chance of damaging / wearing shit out prematurely.

- Unless you do suspension work and tire, car wont shine / reward you as much.

- Not as fun.

- Rules.

Wow, really. Wouldn't have pegged you as that (Im scared to break my shit) kind of guy.

The track is SUPER rewarding for a good driver (like you). Nothing quite like it.

First time I cracked a 10 was euphoric! Super cool experience.

Here's the deal. You don't need suspension or any of that crap you talk about above to get a good representation of how much power the car is making/how well its running.,

The MPH is your primary indicator (for me at least) regarding how fast your car is. ET.. meh... I don't care much about the ET, but the MPH is what matters IMO!

Our local track charges $20 for the "run what you brung" or "street legal drag" events. They run all day 8+ hours.

Good, cheap fun.

All that said... I love me some Mexico roll racing too!!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I got 5 runs in the Charger in October and one in the Caddy. This past Satuday it was a bracket race and I broke out with a 10.89 on a 10.90 dial in, I got 3 runs in total.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Good stuff Richard.
Are you going to mod your Hellcat?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, really. Wouldn't have pegged you as that (Im scared to break my shit) kind of guy.

The track is SUPER rewarding for a good driver (like you). Nothing quite like it.

First time I cracked a 10 was euphoric! Super cool experience.

Here's the deal. You don't need suspension or any of that crap you talk about above to get a good representation of how much power the car is making/how well its running.,

The MPH is your primary indicator (for me at least) regarding how fast your car is. ET.. meh... I don't care much about the ET, but the MPH is what matters IMO!

Our local track charges $20 for the "run what you brung" or "street legal drag" events. They run all day 8+ hours.

Good, cheap fun.

All that said... I love me some Mexico roll racing too!!

I definitely dont want to break my shit. I usually DD my toys, so I need them reliable.

Im actually not that great of a driver. I can shift well but cant launch for shit. Not interested in mastering that skill, rigt now.

Drag strip = playing by someone elses rules. I rather play by my own.

There is just something more exciting about doing you "killing" in the street than at the strip. At least for me.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member

With everything being equal? ZL1 is a drivers race. Trinity, not so much. After all these years there still hasn’t been a stock trinity to make a 10 second pass or trap 130. Hellcats have done both plenty of times.

Also the 2019 Hellcat should be getting a small power bump and a bunch of Demon goodies minus the 800+ hp engine. Hellcats are only going to widen the gap when that time comes, but HOPEFULLY Ford will have at least announced a new GT500 by that time.

Users who are viewing this thread